Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High lights of 2nd day of driving FSD:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No super critical interventions, but there were two worth noting. This is after about 3 hours driving on a two lane hi way, city driving, and freeway driving.
1. while on FSD I signaled to make a right turn at the next street, instead FSD attempted to turn into a gas station on the corner instead of the street just beyond .. not critical, could have gone ahead and re initiated "the navigate to" command. But the sudden change startles the passenger.
2. On the return trip on the single lane high way she kept veering off to the shoulder. My passenger saw the message on the screen. "weak inaccurate GPS signal". well that explains it. I experienced the same veering off to the shoulder. yesterday. but interesting. I did not know FSD is depending on GPS signal.
Over all it was a very good and unbelievable experience. Beginning to feel unsafe driving without FSD!
I know general population is not going to want a car that drives it self even more than they don't want an electric vehicle. Self Driving is the real definition of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

1. while on FSD I signaled to make a right turn at the next street, instead FSD attempted to turn into a gas station on the corner instead of the street just beyond .. not critical, could have gone ahead and re initiated "the navigate to" command. But the sudden change startles the passenger.
2. On the return trip on the single lane high way she kept veering off to the shoulder. My passenger saw the message on the screen. "weak inaccurate GPS signal". well that explains it. I experienced the same veering off to the shoulder. yesterday. but interesting. I did not know FSD is depending on GPS signal.
When using FSD, you can’t force it to make a turn using the turn signal, the turn has to be on the navigation route. Can you elaborate on #1?

I’ve never seen the GPS signal error message in 8 years of Tesla ownership. Navigation, and therefore FSD, uses GPS. I wasn’t aware that there were any GPS “dead zones” in the US. Even without GPS, the cameras should keep you from veering off to the shoulder. Are you sure FSD was actually engaged when that happened?

Which build do you have?

Reactions: Ridgeline
When using FSD, you can’t force it to make a turn using the turn signal, the turn has to be on the navigation route. Can you elaborate on #1?

I’ve never seen the GPS signal error message in 8 years of Tesla ownership. Navigation, and therefore FSD, uses GPS. I wasn’t aware that there were any GPS “dead zones” in the US. Even without GPS, the cameras should keep you from veering off to the shoulder. Are you sure FSD was actually engaged when that happened?

Which build do you have?
Before in-car navigation, I used portable Garmin and GPS could be missed in tunnels, between high rise sky scrapers in the city...

Which build do you have?
thank you! #1 was operator error on my part. I should have quickly cancelled FSD. executed the turn then re-established FSD after I was well on my way using my new preferred route. Is that the way it should work?
#2 message on the screen was a shocker, perhaps it is unrelated to the crossing over the white lane marker and onto the shoulder. Yes FSD was engaged, disengaged, re-engaged multiple times. It did not go far into the shoulder just across the white line where warning bumps are. The screen did show the car over the white lines.
The dead zones was a recent topic of a Tesla you tube video. I experience two places on south I-45 where while in autopilot and TACC the car slows for about a block or so then picks back-up. Co-incidentally one of the slowdown places where the Tesla showroom is and the salesmen say it's weird the Teslas on the lot can't get the internet. Weird Huh

thank you! #1 was operator error on my part. I should have quickly cancelled FSD. executed the turn then re-established FSD after I was well on my way using my new preferred route. Is that the way it should work?
#2 message on the screen was a shocker, perhaps it is unrelated to the crossing over the white lane marker and onto the shoulder. Yes FSD was engaged, disengaged, re-engaged multiple times. It did not go far into the shoulder just across the white line where warning bumps are. The screen did show the car over the white lines.
The dead zones was a recent topic of a Tesla you tube video. I experience two places on south I-45 where while in autopilot and TACC the car slows for about a block or so then picks back-up. Co-incidentally one of the slowdown places where the Tesla showroom is and the salesmen say it's weird the Teslas on the lot can't get the internet. Weird Huh
Are you talking about GPS signal or Internet?

They are two separate issues.

GM Cruise Autonomous Vehicle requires Internet so their remote operators can watch the video in real-time. Tesla FSD does not have such features.

Yes, that’s how you have to do it. It would be nice if you could initiate a turn, especially if you’re just using AP without navigation, but currently you can’t do that.

I live near several multi-mile tunnels that go quite a bit under the Chesapeake Bay. I’ve never had trouble with FSD holding the lanes while in these tunnels without a GPS signal, so I think the wandering over the shoulder is not related to the GPS signal message.

GPS signal can be diminished at times over the US for various reasons (including as mentioned above, tall buildings).

Flightradar actually maintains a map of GPS signal degradation based on ADS-B data from flights.

yesterday, Friday May 24, the Car on FSD did not drift over the right white lane marking and onto the shoulder at the same place it did on the two previous days. We went on (to the post office) past our normal turn off and it did the "drift over beyond the white lane marking" thing. I did not get the weak GPS message on the screen though.

I have a question though: how do you turn off FSD and engage the normal auto -pilot and TACC. (probably need to read the on screen instructions).

yesterday, Friday May 24, the Car on FSD did not drift over the right white lane marking and onto the shoulder at the same place it did on the two previous days. We went on (to the post office) past our normal turn off and it did the "drift over beyond the white lane marking" thing. I did not get the weak GPS message on the screen though.

I have a question though: how do you turn off FSD and engage the normal auto -pilot and TACC. (probably need to read the on screen instructions).
To change the mode, you need to shift to the park gear and go to the Autopilot menu to choose 1 out of 3 modes.

Reactions: Ridgeline
No super critical interventions, but there were two worth noting. This is after about 3 hours driving on a two lane hi way, city driving, and freeway driving.
Over all it was a very good and unbelievable experience. Beginning to feel unsafe driving without FSD!
I know general population is not going to want a car that drives it self even more than they don't want an electric vehicle. Self Driving is the real definition of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.
for number 2, it is highly likely the road lines were obscured and the software was incorrectly estimating where the road edge was. the cameras are the primary lane keeping device.

Yesterday, On trip into Houston, My Y on FSD was drifting to the left and onto the yellow lane marker on the center of the street in Galveston's Harborside drive. Had to turn off FSD. On the way home on Hiway 87 we did experience again on FSD drifting way over onto the shoulder across the warning white line (eastbound) and it was displayed on the screen that the car was over to the the right. It is Interesting that error does not occur west bound on Hiway 87 on the Bolivar Peninsula.