Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amen. I've been driving my Plaid like a high grandmother for the past two months. It's killing me. I have Honda Civics, Subaru WRX, Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes and a bunch of other little cars that think they are fast start racing me and I have to let them go blow by me. IT'S KILLING ME!!!!!!!!:mad:
Weeell, you know that there is no safety score impact of accelerating as fast as you like? Just have to plan not to swerve or brake fast at the end...

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
This is an interesting video for unprotected lefts especially when he gets into the frame by frame analysis where you can clearly see how the lack of cameras nearer the front of the car is a significant problem. But then I suspect most people already know that.

Having side cameras toward the front of the car can provide more visibility, but the root issue in that vid is that the car didn't creep forward enough to gain visibility; it just went. It's like it's not trying to use B-camera data at all. I've had plenty of RIGHT turns where the road I'm on is already bending right at a T intersection, so my driver-side b-pillar camera has straight-on visibility to the left. The car still hesitates like crazy. This seems to indicate it's just relying on front camera visibility, which in this situation would have a really hard time seeing to the left.

In our area, there are tons of places where the stop sign and line are way too far back to see anything, regardless of whether the cameras are at the B pillar or on the front bumper. You have to creep way past the stop sign.

Also, leaning head forward makes us feel like we have more visibility. But next time you're in a position to do that, just pay attention into how much more visibility you're getting. (It's not a lot).

Having side cameras toward the front of the car can provide more visibility, but the root issue in that vid is that the car didn't creep forward enough to gain visibility; it just went. It's like it's not trying to use B-camera data at all. I've had plenty of RIGHT turns where the road I'm on is already bending right at a T intersection, so my driver-side b-pillar camera has straight-on visibility to the left. The car still hesitates like crazy. This seems to indicate it's just relying on front camera visibility, which in this situation would have a really hard time seeing to the left.

In our area, there are tons of places where the stop sign and line are way too far back to see anything, regardless of whether the cameras are at the B pillar or on the front bumper. You have to creep way past the stop sign.

Also, leaning head forward makes us feel like we have more visibility. But next time you're in a position to do that, just pay attention into how much more visibility you're getting. (It's not a lot).

My bottom line is the car cannot see as well to the left or right as I can when stopped at a blind intersection. The root cause has nothing to do with creeping since that can be corrected via software and I'm sure Tesla will improve it. Think physics "first principles" which Elon is well known for. What is the only thing with the current camera layout we know for sure. Camera specifics including viewing angle. Tesla's FSD engineers have to work within those constraints. Unfortunately I believe Tesla failed to use first principles correctly when locating cameras. Imagine how much creeping would be improved with cameras closer to the front. A lot.

I'm simply a better/safer driver in this particular instance. Tesla will get better but there is only so far you can creep into the intersection before you have to stop and make the decision to go or not. When I'm at a really blind intersection I will lean forward above the steering wheel which gives me about 30 inches of additional vision. I do this every time I leave my house when approaching a blind corner.

Reactions: nvx1977