Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NNs don't learn in car. They can't change the driving code in the firmware without a full firmware update.
(in theory they could change some variables with an OTA push, but mostly they'd revert to defaults if the computer rebooted so not really worth doing).

They CAN (and do) make map updates outside of firmware updates that obviously impact driving behavior though.

SPEAKING OF DRIVING BEHAVIOR- interesting thing yesterday.

There's a country road (1 lane each way, mostly straight but some hills) nearby they just repaved. So it's blacktop, but no lane line yet

Tried FSDBeta on it- and it "works" in that it stays to the right, and drives.... but the 5-7 mph frequent braking was back like it was a much much earlier version of the software.

This behavior on the same (but marked) road had improved initially to only 1-3 mph braking quite a number of versions ago, and gone away almost entirely in recent months.

Reactions: boonedocks
Was making my normal left and knowing it would immediately go into the Left turn lane (10.11.2 behavior). Had a Model S behind me so decided to let it play out (I usually disengage) and it was obtuse and poor. Thankfully the Model S moved over a lane to give me some room. Just hope they saw my AI Robotaxi sticker and understood what was happening. What the hell is it thinking when the lane is running out and converging with cars on both sides? Does it think it can “squeeze into the yellow line?

Was making my normal left and knowing it would immediately go into the Left turn lane (10.11.2 behavior). Had a Model S behind me so decided to let it play out (I usually disengage) and it was obtuse and poor. Thankfully the Model S moved over a lane to give me some room. Just hope they saw my AI Robotaxi sticker and understood what was happening. What the hell is it thinking when the lane is running out and converging with cars on both sides? Does it think it can “squeeze into the yellow line?

Good to see FSD drive like a typical distracted driver ;)

Reactions: Reddy Kilowatt

Other than the relatively mild post I made a couple days ago, I've been trying to keep my mouth shut, as my experience with the latest release is summed up very well in your video. This kind of poor lane planning (and the planner freaking out trying to plan lanes) is, unfortunately, my normal experience with this release.

It's so interesting how everyone has a different experience with FSD based on where they are. It has always performed poorly where I'm at, relative to what other guys experience, but this latest version is nearly worthless.

Performing testing duties here has always been a white knuckle event, but it has now graduated to being dangerous to the point of being unable to use it enough to even be able to hit the Report button. It's gone from "well, I hate to inconvenience other drivers by using it" to "it's too dangerous to even use it here."

Just so there are no doubts... I am still a Tesla and Elon supporter, love my car, own the stock. I know this is beta level stuff. I know it'll get better. But that doesn't mean that Tesla/Elon shouldn't be called out when they make mistakes, and IMO, this release was a mistake. IN CERTAIN PARTS OF THE COUNTRY, this version is dangerous, and never should have been released. No, I don't have any answer about how they should vet a release well enough to make sure it's not going to be dangerous in all usage areas, but then again, that's not my job... it's theirs.

And yes, I "ghost drive" every move that FSD beta makes (to the point that I never get steering nags), expecting it "to do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time." The problem is that it is capable of doing something so very wrong, so very fast that a mere human can't fix it. As the WOPR once said, "the only way to win is to not play the game."

Well.. now I've said too much... I've done so well about keeping my mouth shut up until now...

I really hope that the next release is better. Or at the very least, less frightening.

Last edited:

Yes, unfortunately that type of behavior is completely typical for 10.11.2. :/

I agree with @Phlier's post - I'll occasionally let it play out if there aren't other cars around and it's safe to do so. The majority of the time it's not and can be outright dangerous so I simply take over right away.