Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve actually found it to be less aggressive than 10.12. 10.12 was uncomfortable to ride in because of the way it tossed you around. 10.69 is far more natural in it’s turns and accelerations.

I am just talking about my experience. It seems that to solve Chuck's ULT, they dialed up the assertiveness since the car needs to commit when it goes. In my experience 10.69.2 will really gun it when it makes turns now. Personally, I find it very disconcerting. It is not smooth like I would do it if I was driving. But who knows, maybe in time I will get used to it. But certainly the first few times, it really unnerved me.

Reactions: TS.42 and sleepydoc
I am just talking about my experience. It seems that to solve Chuck's ULT, they dialed up the assertiveness since the car needs to commit when it goes. In my experience 10.69.2 will really gun it when it makes turns now. Personally, I find it very disconcerting. It is not smooth like I would do it if I was driving. But who knows, maybe in time I will get used to it. But certainly the first few times, it really unnerved me.
Definitely more aggressive now - enough to knock over my cell phone resting in the cup holder. :)

It is not smooth like I would do it if I was driving.
Likely the issue more than just the straight acceleration. Most of us are used to having to gun it from time to time and it doesn’t bother us. But when it is unpredictable and halting and not logical when the surges occur, that is bothersome. Just a communication issue. They can also keep working on the jerk profiles, in addition to the flow of the driving. I’m very familiar with the profile of jerks, lol.

Likely the issue more than just the straight acceleration. Most of us are used to having to gun it from time to time and it doesn’t bother us. But when it is unpredictable and halting and not logical when the surges occur, that is bothersome. Just a communication issue. They can also keep working on the jerk profiles, in addition to the flow of the driving. I’m very familiar with the profile of jerks, lol.
Just watch videos when Tesla's first came out - people would post reaction videos of passengers when they gunned it - Tesla's 0-60 was/is impressive, and the passengers' look on their faces would show. Some panicked and some gleeful like the launch of a rollercoaster. When FSD Beta is driving, we're kinda like those passengers - when the car guns it when we weren't expecting it, we end up in reaction videos. 😆

Also the OP is new to Beta and doesn't have any idea how bad jerk has been in ALL previous versions. While still a ways to go 69 has reduced jerk soooo much that it almost feels smooth by comparison. Also in the different Beta iterations we have been through the "this one is too slow vs too fast" acceleration changes and debate has remanded. Beta will NEVER offer acceleration that is 100% satisfying to everyone under all conditions. For me I prefer faster over slower acceleration. After all there is "no such thing as a slow Tesla" [paraphrase of Musk].
Actually just gave a ride to a friend who owns a MY but not FSD beta. He actually likes the acceleration, so to your point it really is a personal preference.

Definitely more aggressive now - enough to knock over my cell phone resting in the cup holder. :)
odd - this is exactly opposite my experience. 10.12 would very often accelerate very hard halfway through a turn, to the point your head would almost snap back and passengers would exclaim, whereas 10.69 seems to be much smoother and more reasonable. Nothing near strong enough to knock my cell phone over. Most of my turns have been in residential areas or protected turns, though.

Are you talking about all turns or just the unprotected left turns? Clearly some of this is preference but in the course of driving there are times you need to accelerate harder to make a turn and avoid traffic vs taking it at a more leisurely pace. FSD doesn’t seem to be great at making that distinction, though. Also, is it gunning right off the bat for you or starting slow then accelerating faster later in the maneuver?

I’ve actually found it to be less aggressive than 10.12. 10.12 was uncomfortable to ride in because of the way it tossed you around. 10.69 is far more natural in it’s turns and accelerations.
It is way less jerky in most respects. In fact, I would say it is presents the most human-like driving style I've experienced since first getting FSDb a year ago. But remember the OP has just gotten FSDb and has no historical perspective.

Just got FSD v12 yesterday on my 2022 M3LR. I also think that the acceleration is too aggressive. It's certainly not the way I would drive normally. Turning, changing lanes, coming to a stop at a red light is perfect and gentle. But when it starts going from the stop, it's an unexpected jolt of acceleration. This is enough of an annoyance for me to not engage FSD again. Also, it seems FSD v12 ignores what I set as the following distance. No matter what I set the follow distance to (1 to 7), it looks to be about the same distance.

Reactions: TGoos
Agree with OP, FSD either ignores my Chill preference or has a way more aggressive interpretation of chill than I do.
Newbie Y owner (1 week) with 2 attempts using FSD today, and I think 3 disengagements already. (Last 1 it abandoned a left turn leaving me in the path of an oncoming car.) BTW, is there a way to review my disengagements now that I am safe at home? (Or perhaps I should start a new thread with that question)

Reactions: TGoos
Thanks for the answer. Right now I too busy keeping my eyes on the road (and staying out of harms way) to mess with touch screen controls
There's a voice command that will record the clip. As well, it records the previous 10 minutes and you probably only want 20 seconds at most, so waiting until the disengagement reason is over and you can relax a bit will still grab the dash cam footage for yourself.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I just got FSD Beta today, and right away noticed that the acceleration is pretty intense. It's much quicker than I would accelerate, even on surface streets with low speed limits. Additionally, it accelerates a lot in the middle of turning, creating some uncomfortable lateral Gs. Anyone else have this problem?

2018 LR M3
Agreed. Just installed FSD yesterday and it's just too much of a lead foot around town for me to tolerate it. We have 25mph speed limits and it guns it at every stop, overshoots the speed limit and then aggressively slows down. The yo-yoing is quite annoying. It's like driving with a 16 year old. Strange, as otherwise it seems to drive very smoothly, especially on the freeway. I wish they had an adjustment for acceleration from stop...

Where is the dashcam icon and what does it look like? TIA
IMG_4470.jpeg

Agreed. Just installed FSD yesterday and it's just too much of a lead foot around town for me to tolerate it. We have 25mph speed limits and it guns it at every stop, overshoots the speed limit and then aggressively slows down. The yo-yoing is quite annoying. It's like driving with a 16 year old. Strange, as otherwise it seems to drive very smoothly, especially on the freeway. I wish they had an adjustment for acceleration from stop...
Just turn off ASSO and set a reasonable manual offset %. It’ll probably still have some kick but a lower cap should reduce it since it tends to taper to the limit.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Thanks! That will be a huge help. Also, it is so very typical of my Tesla learning experience. . . . . . . .
At first my display, did not have an Icon like that.
So I tried the 3 Dot icon to see the whole set of icons. Still don't have one. Looked carefully through each row, left to right all the way down. Yes, we have no bananas.

I decided to explore each different icon on the "all-the-icons" page, to see what they did, because I never had used some of them. Somewhere around 1/2 way through, the Dash Cam icon appeared!

Pressed on it and not only did it flip to this ????? Display ????? but i presume it saved the dash cam images? Any idea what this display is about? My regular camera display, rear and both blind spot pictures still look normally. The one shown with this icon seems a little "off" to me?

20240402_145343.jpg

What fun - every day is a new discovery. . . . . .

Been trying FSD out on the loaner while mine is in the shop (for the second attempt at doing the trailer hitch wiring 😑). The acceleration seems just fine to me, about like I drive when I'm relaxed and trying to be gentle. If FSD accelerates too hard, you must be that guy who's always in front of me that takes half a mile to get up to 40 and then tries to merge on the interstate at the same speed.

If anything the braking is the part that's too aggressive to me--it follows too close sometimes and waits longer than I would to slow down; definitely uses the friction brakes much more than I do. Sometimes it's a bit abrupt when it hits desired speed, but not too bad.

Other than that, it generally drives well. It seems suicidal at roundabouts and I'm too much of a chicken to let it try certain things but otherwise I like it. Good, but not $200/month good.

Edit: just realized this is mostly an old thread...