Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got FSD Beta today, and right away noticed that the acceleration is pretty intense. It's much quicker than I would accelerate, even on surface streets with low speed limits. Additionally, it accelerates a lot in the middle of turning, creating some uncomfortable lateral Gs. Anyone else have this problem?

2018 LR M3

Yes. The latest FSD Beta is quite aggressive.

I just got FSD Beta today, and right away noticed that the acceleration is pretty intense. It's much quicker than I would accelerate, even on surface streets with low speed limits. Additionally, it accelerates a lot in the middle of turning, creating some uncomfortable lateral Gs. Anyone else have this problem?

2018 LR M3
I think it isn’t so much the acceleration, as it is the jerk, and the appropriateness of acceleration to 25mph or whatever in certain contexts. On tight streets with parked cars it isn’t correct to rocket to 25mph in all situations.

It just needs to know how to to pick the appropriate speed and acceleration and jerk profile for the conditions.

Maybe they can use a neural net.

Yes. The latest FSD Beta is quite aggressive.
Based on Elon’s comments, we might expect less caution in this one. I haven’t really seen it yet except for less smoothness in one scenario - but very little surface street driving so far.

I think if they avoid pulsing accelerator and regen and accelerating into obvious corners, the overall result would be better.

I always want to see video of the regen bar when people report a disconcerting drive. I bet we would find that it is a combination of the speed (certainly can be excessive in some situations), and the jerk and lack of human-like response (usually quite late).

Post your videos, folks! There is even a thread for it.

Last edited:
I am not going to laugh at you like others may be doing, it is accelerating at a very high rate when not warranted by traffic conditions in this latest release. What you have stated is accurate and is not funny.

I am not going to laugh at you like others may be doing, it is accelerating at a very high rate when not warranted by traffic conditions in this latest release. What you have stated is accurate and is not funny.
I am not laughing at the OP. I just think it is amusing that FSD can be so jerky and then people claim it is just fine and this is just personal preference (in other threads). This is actually a problem, and something that should be fixed! Fortunately, since we are always driving, the easy (and correct) solution is just to disengage immediately as soon as any incorrect behavior is felt. It does not make sense for us to be speeding and disobeying the basic rule (a traffic violation!). Note: It is not FSD doing any of this - it is us (since we are driving).

FSD is simply responding to our instructions.

I am not laughing at the OP. I just think it is amusing that FSD can be so jerky and then people claim it is just fine and this is just personal preference (in other threads). This is actually a problem, and something that should be fixed!....
Also the OP is new to Beta and doesn't have any idea how bad jerk has been in ALL previous versions. While still a ways to go 69 has reduced jerk soooo much that it almost feels smooth by comparison. Also in the different Beta iterations we have been through the "this one is too slow vs too fast" acceleration changes and debate has remanded. Beta will NEVER offer acceleration that is 100% satisfying to everyone under all conditions. For me I prefer faster over slower acceleration. After all there is "no such thing as a slow Tesla" [paraphrase of Musk].

I had beta from last October ‘21 until this June and then traded in my car and just received it on the new car this week like many others.

Previous versions had all kinds of issues, some of which have been fixed with .69. After two days with this build, aggressive turning acceleration is what makes it almost unusable with passengers in the car and even somewhat without. Previous versions didn’t have this particular problem from what I recall. The ‘chill’ fsd setting doesn’t seem to make any difference at all.

Yes. Rate of change of acceleration. Very important. Jerk (and minimization of it) is very important for comfort and also just for communicating to the driver - note it prominently features in Tesla release notes.
I've watched videos with Douma where he mentions that FSD has a "jerk limit", which is some threshold that the software is not supposed to exceed. Not sure if that's true, or if the software is trying to stay under it but occasionally does exceed it and it's something that should be reported.

“Excessive jerk may also result in an uncomfortable ride, even at levels that do not cause injury. Engineers expend considerable design effort minimizing "jerky motion" on elevators, trams, and other conveyances.”

@AlanSubie4Life‘s incessant and insufferable whining vindicated?

(I already knew about this passage on Wikipedia, but it is also physically obvious if you use FSD and watch that regen bar to help measure/quantify what you’re feeling. It becomes obvious very quickly what is good and what is undesirable!)

Seems like a very strange term for delta acceleration. Where did this term originate?
1663792198062.jpeg