Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta expansion to new beta testers June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you end up getting FSD beta straight from factory build? I just picked up my Model Y yesterday (came with factory SW 2022.11.101.5) and subscribed to FSD immediately during delivery. An hour later I got a notification that 2022.16.1.2 is ready for download, but I haven't downloaded yet as I didn't want to lock myself out of getting 10.12.2. Just drove my 100 miles today in hopes I'll be able to go from factory straight to beta.

Any update on if you got FSD beta?

So you went straight from a factory build to FSD beta 10.12.2? Been perusing this thread to see if anyone else reported the same and you're one of the only ones I've seen who reported this. Either way, hope the same happens to my new Model Y.
No beta yet. Got .16.1, a day later got .16.2. Nothing since then. The other fellow I believe is a YouTube movie star, so they would get pushed into the latest beta right quick in a hurry. I think. Don’t quote me.

I was told I was going to be added to the EAP program back in 2018 and after long and frustrating back and forth with Tesla I dropped it

Same, were you one of the people who paid for FSD at purchase and then right after they dropped the price for people to add-on post purchase? The remedy for that was a (since deleted) blog post where they said earlier FSD purchasers would get added to the Beta program....that didn't happen. Definitely frustrating having had this car for almost 4 years and still waiting when others who bought it very recently get it so quickly.

I have hundreds of miles driven since resetting about a week ago and a 98 score, just got a notification for software update to 2022.16.1.2 sigh

Reactions: Dave EV
Traded my FSD Beta enabled model 3 last week. Had it since October of last year (10.2). I thought I would be able to simply get it again and I'm seeing this is far from true. I'm so bitter about not having FSD Beta on the new Tesla. Hopefully new big push for 10.13.

Yesterday I received 2022.16.2 ... not the beta I was hoping for...

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
Same, were you one of the people who paid for FSD at purchase and then right after they dropped the price for people to add-on post purchase? The remedy for that was a (since deleted) blog post where they said earlier FSD purchasers would get added to the Beta program....that didn't happen. Definitely frustrating having had this car for almost 4 years and still waiting when others who bought it very recently get it so quickly.

I have hundreds of miles driven since resetting about a week ago and a 98 score, just got a notification for software update to 2022.16.1.2 sigh
Misery loves company!

I've had my M3 LR RWD for over 4 years and 73,000 miles. I got the free HW upgrade years ago. My score has been at 96 for a while after dropping from 99 to 94 during a 3,000 mile road trip because EAP followed trucks and buses too closely.

I'd love to be able to say "Hey, can I have the beta of what I paid for back in early 2018?" and at least get SOME kind of response.

Reactions: kbecks13
I've had my M3 LR RWD for over 4 years and 73,000 miles. I got the free HW upgrade years ago. My score has been at 96 for a while after dropping from 99 to 94 during a 3,000 mile road trip because EAP followed trucks and buses too closely.

I'd love to be able to say "Hey, can I have the beta of what I paid for back in early 2018?" and at least get SOME kind of response.

It really does follow cars very closely, i took a trip to Vegas recently and even on the furthest distance setting (7) my car would follow super close to trucks. At times my auto-lane change refused to work (seemed to happen when it was hottest?) and I had to disengage to pass a truck. Well, when you disengage you immediately get dinged for following too close! Thanks AP

It really does follow cars very closely, i took a trip to Vegas recently and even on the furthest distance setting (7) my car would follow super close to trucks. At times my auto-lane change refused to work (seemed to happen when it was hottest?) and I had to disengage to pass a truck. Well, when you disengage you immediately get dinged for following too close! Thanks AP
That has not been my experience. I have mine set to 7 as well and the gap between cars is pretty large to the point that I get people moving in front of me pretty often. I always assumed it was "car lengths", but someone corrected me that it's based on timing. I'd say at #7 it's about 3-4 car lengths.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Did Tesla already hit the cap of new Beta testers? I just requested beta 3 days ago and hit over 100 miles with a 98 safety score. Hoping I didn’t miss my opening because I upgraded to the latest software about a week ago. Guessing I have to wait until 10.13…

Um. I entered a post into this thread earlier because, lo and behold, I managed to get FSD Beta on my lowly 2018 M3 LR RWD, with a score of a mere 93, even.

Now having driven the 10.12 variant around for a while: Be careful what you wish for.

This is a report from the war zone.

Look, I'm into the Beta (and, believe you me, it is a Beta) because I have grandiose hopes of helping Tesla get over the hump of making FSD better to the point where mere mortals can use it without acquiring a shock of white hairs. Anybody thinking that they can kick this thing into gear and relax on local street driving, kind of the way one can relax on limited access highways with non-Beta FSD, had better think again.

Yes, on a good day (a really good day, the birds are singing, the daffodils are blooming, etc.) the car might take one door to door ten miles across the local roads. That has not yet happened to me once in three weeks of daily commutes and driving around.

By this time I'm getting a better handle on its failings and possible reasons why. Which helps a bit: If one knows that a situation is about to arise that puts the car into a death-defying motion that will result in bent metal and/or irritated other drivers on the road, then one can disengage the car early, before other people start screaming. Or giving one the stink-eye. In no particular order:
  • Say one is on a two lane road and is approaching an intersection where it's one lane to the left, a lane or two straight, and maybe a lane on the right that can turn right. If the car can see all the painted markings on the road while driving up on this, fine. If it can't, it'll pick a lane for straight ahead/turn left/turn right pretty much at random and get it Wrong most of the time. Leaving one stuck in a left turn lane when one wants to go straight, in a center go straight lane when the nav wants one to go left, and so on. And this is despite the likely existence of Signs ahead of the intersection noting which lanes go where: The FSDb may be able to read speed limit signs, but sure and begorrah it can't see those black-on-white directional information signs that New Jersey plants ahead of intersections like that. What this means: Unless there's something that guides the car into the correct lane (double yellow lines that block off the left turn lane until one is right on top of one, for example), one may as well disengage before the intersection, or at the first fast surge into the wrong lane. So much for driving across town. Unless it's the dead of night or something, there's no other cars out there, and the car can see the turn markings painted on the road before one gets into the intersection.
  • Say one is in the correct lane for straight ahead, behind several cars and is stopped. Say that the lane on the left, which is left turn only, happens to be open and free of cars. More than half the time the FSDb will think that this is a fine and dandy way to get ahead and will cut into the left lane from a dead stop so it can get ahead - and will get stuck in the left turn lane when it wants to go straight. Ugh.
  • Left turns from a two lane road that's wideish to a side street. The car will be going down the center of the right lane, then it purposely drifts right, blocking traffic, before coming to a complete halt, even if there's no oncoming traffic, with the car at about a 15 to 20 degree angle to the left. Before it thinks about drifting slowly forward. Any cars behind one during this dance will be honking, loudly. I mean: We all learn in Driver's Ed that when one is turning left and has to wait, one hugs the center line to let traffic pass on the right while one waits for a chance to go across.
  • Speaking of which: At an intersection, one nominal lane straight ahead and also for left turns. Some nice, decent driver is in the middle of the intersection in front of one and has their left turn blinker on. There's tons of room to go around the car. Nope, the Tesla comes to a halt and waits for the car in front of one to move, but does so in a way that blocks traffic behind one. Ugh.
  • And if drifting around in the wrong direction is bad, the following should be a crime: On unstriped two-way roads going over hills, the car will drive right down the center of the road when approaching the crown of a hill. Dangerous as all get-out and heart pounding.
  • If one likes smooth driving.. FSDb is probably not for you. Most of the time it's relatively smooth, but not nearly as smooth as a human. And on certain intersections, for no discernible reason, it jerks the steering wheel hard through 5 to 20 degrees, sometimes back and forth. If one tries to hang onto the steering wheel, any friction at all in this kind of event results in a disengagement. One has to be prepared for the jerk (having been at the intersection before) and more-or-less let go of the wheel so the car can do its insane thing. Do Not Let This Happen When One Has Passengers, it scares the beejezesus out of them.
Thing is, FSDb isn't all bad. It sees pedestrians, other cars on the right, cars on the left, and often takes the appropriate action, smoothly (but not always smoothly) most of the time. If there's stripes of whatever flavor on the road, that seriously helps. It accelerates smoothly from red lights. It can go through stop signs, although see the note about jerking the wheel. (It's not really happy about stop signs - it'll creep halfway through an intersection sometimes before gassing it the rest of the way; other times, it's OK, with no discernible rhyme or reason as to which result one gets.)

As a result of all the above, I end up hitting the little "recorder" button that FSDb puts on the dash anywhere between five and twenty times on a single commute. Maybe those who live in less congested areas than NJ or who drive when there's less traffic out there might get less excitement.

At the moment the limited-access highway driving of FSDb is a near clone of regular FSD. Although I've heard rumors that that will be changing in the near future.

But, I'm a telling you all: You don't get FSDb because you get easier driving. You get it because you want to test the software and tell Tesla when it isn't working so good. And it's not bad 100% of the time; it's the 5% (or whatever) where it's making attempts to kill one that leads to the excitement, especially when the events happen pretty much at random.

The good news: One can always revert to non-FSD anything when one actually needs to get around town. Or turn off FSDb when trying to take, say, a long drive without trying to kill someone.

You have been warned.

But, I'm a telling you all: You don't get FSDb because you get easier driving. You get it because you want to test the software and tell Tesla when it isn't working so good.

Wow that's a great summary haha but yea we know its terrible, it's more about getting to see how it progresses and be part of the learning curve. Been waiting 4 years for that chance lol congrats on getting it with a 93 safety score, that's very surprising and im def jealous.

That has not been my experience. I have mine set to 7 as well and the gap between cars is pretty large to the point that I get people moving in front of me pretty often. I always assumed it was "car lengths", but someone corrected me that it's based on timing. I'd say at #7 it's about 3-4 car lengths.

It's variable for me, if i have it set to 3 or 4 then it will often cruise up behind a semi and get pretty close (i.e cant see their mirrors). Sometimes if you move it back and forth between 4 and 7 a few times the car seems to get the idea and backs off, but it takes a long time to do so.

Here's an example of how far back the car stays at 7, if you assume the road lines are spaced 30' apart that yields a following distance of only ~1.4 seconds, and this is at MAX spacing and honestly it was worse with tractor trailers but I was too busy driving to take a photo. I'm pretty confident that it will get close enough to be under 1 second following distance with semi's when on a highway doing 65-70.

PXL_20220621_205701094.jpg

Joining the misery chain. 350+ miles driven, 98 score, 8 days (out of 11). This is a new Model X. I have it on our Model 3.
It me. Took delivery of my MYLR on April 29 this year, but it was stuck on the factory software stack until _just after_ the early June FSD release. (FSD can only be installed on top of the OTA software stack.) Now I have a Safety Score of 100, with 2,376 miles driven in the past 30 days, mostly on autopilot, and still no FSD Beta. 😭

Incidentally, those 2,376 miles contain four Forward Collision Warnings:
- On a curved residential street, the car thought a parked car at the curb was a stopped car in the lane.
- Pulling slowly into my garage, the car thought I was going to collide with the back wall.
- Twice, on a wide-open highway, the car misinterpreted tree shadows as obstacles.

I already have FSD Beta on my 2017 Model 3, and purchased it on the Model Y (as well as the 3) mostly to support the cause; I don't expect city-street FSD will reach the tipping point of requiring less mental energy than manual driving for at least 5 years, perhaps 10. (And L5 FSD not during the life of the car, at least not with HW3.) L3 highway Autopilot, possibly in 5 years, though again probably only with HW4, if the car is upgradeable. I'd estimate I still have to override Autopilot for safety reasons about every 50 miles on the highway, usually when the car is about to drive into cones or swerve into a turnout lane or the like. This will need to be once per 5 million miles before the car is ready for L3/L4. That's a lot of orders of magnitude!

Reactions: JimS
It’s “terrible” but also the best you can really get in a drive-anywhere production car at least in the USA as far as I know.

There is a reason it is called level 2. And that reason is that it WILL make mistakes. It is best thought of as a highly advanced driver assist rather than an autonomous door-to-door driver.

My advice is that if you enter a situation where you know it will behave janky and there are cars around, kick it off and deal with the situation then turn it back on. If there are no other cars around, let it fail (or surprisingly succeed) and send a camera shot back to the Beta team. This way eliminates most of the stress of potentially upsetting other drivers but still gets feedback where it belongs. Of course some of the serious failure situations may be due to other cars, but you gotta strike a balance.

Any speed. A car length is about 14-15 feet (length of an average car). I learned you should give 1 car length per 10MPH of speed. So 70MPH should be about 100 feet. Tesla seems to be about 60 feet at level 7
yea, I agree with that. I guess I wasn't good about conveying that your 3-4 car lengths was likely at a highway speed. 3-4 car length at city streets and 25 mph would be generous of you :) Aside, I don't think it is a linear process of 1 length = 10 mph because at higher speeds it takes longer to stop a car suddenly. I stay 2 seconds behind cars.

EDITED: I'm picking up on the fact that is seems FSD is following too close at higher speeds.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
Joining the misery chain. 350+ miles driven, 98 score, 8 days (out of 11). This is a new Model X. I have it on our Model 3.
Tesla seems to have stopped rolling it out to more cars for the time being - at least the last week or so.

I think a 98 score is probably overkill when they decide to open it up to more cars, but make sure you have 100+ miles on autosteer in the last 30 days.

Tesla seems to have stopped rolling it out to more cars for the time being - at least the last week or so.

I think a 98 score is probably overkill when they decide to open it up to more cars, but make sure you have 100+ miles on autosteer in the last 30 days.
I'm beginning to wonder about Tesla.

It's been quite a time since an FSDb update. There's been quite a few bugs detected in FSDb, as reported on the forums here and elsewhere. Remember, the reason that Tesla hands out invites for FSDb it to get the software tested and bugs reported, not so people can have fun with the latest and greatest. (And, given the general jerkiness of driving around with FSDb, it's not exactly, "fun" anyway.)

Given the sabbatical and departure of Tesla's AI division lead over the last few months and the involuntary departure of staff at that division, I wonder how much disarray that crowd is in? Note that the reduction in force happened while that lead was on sabbatical. That doesn't bode well. And raises the question of just who's in charge over there.

Of course, the alternative is that 10.13 is just about to come out and, rather than giving people FSDb with 10.12 just to have to upgrade them shortly, receiving data on 10.12 that they already have, the decision was made to hold off on new testers until after 10.13 is released.

Or might be a combination of factors. Or something completely different.

We'll see.

I'm beginning to wonder about Tesla.

It's been quite a time since an FSDb update. There's been quite a few bugs detected in FSDb, as reported on the forums here and elsewhere. Remember, the reason that Tesla hands out invites for FSDb it to get the software tested and bugs reported, not so people can have fun with the latest and greatest. (And, given the general jerkiness of driving around with FSDb, it's not exactly, "fun" anyway.)

Given the sabbatical and departure of Tesla's AI division lead over the last few months and the involuntary departure of staff at that division, I wonder how much disarray that crowd is in? Note that the reduction in force happened while that lead was on sabbatical. That doesn't bode well. And raises the question of just who's in charge over there.

Of course, the alternative is that 10.13 is just about to come out and, rather than giving people FSDb with 10.12 just to have to upgrade them shortly, receiving data on 10.12 that they already have, the decision was made to hold off on new testers until after 10.13 is released.

Or might be a combination of factors. Or something completely different.

We'll see.
As any development progresses, you get to a point where all the easy progress has been made and you are left with the hard items. Those take longer and are more likely to not be completed during a single sprint. It appears that FSD beta is in that difficult phase. Hence, they are tackling things like UPLs.

In addition, fixes for issues detected on one release may not be scheduled to be worked for a while. It depends on the assigned priority of the bug vs the priority of other tasks vs the manpower available.

As far as the idea of the team being in disarray goes, my experience has been that loss of a boss had a positive effect on productivity and morale. At least until the new boss showed up!

• Funny
Reactions: Tronguy and JimS