Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Performance Summary Week 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance is much improved from prior weeks, although my 2020 Model X still makes a lot of mistakes. Only two or three mistakes were in the dangerous category - trying to enter an intersection or turn in front of oncoming traffic. There were three instances of failure to follow the nav plan. The car still consistently runs over a low curb during left turn at an intersection I use often. At another frequently-used intersection, except for one time, it always accelerated toward disaster in a short merge lane after turning right. Occasionally I need to "goose" the throttle to encourage the car to enter a clear intersection. The most consistent problem in high traffic areas is failure to get into the proper lane for turning until it's too late. Often this problem is set up by an unwise lane change in the wrong direction. Sometimes the car manages to recover by finding a hole in the traffic (or making one by slowing down or speeding up!). It's actually pretty creative at that.

In general, most turns have been successful and considerably smoother than in prior weeks, some even human-like. There have been no violations of red lights or stops. The car is good at figuring when to go at right turns on red. Checks crossing traffic and opposite direction left turners, waits for an opening. The car has demonstrated the ability to go around obstacles - a car stopped in thru lane, a door opening on parked car. In a couple of cases, the car exhibited remarkable intelligence. We were cruising in the right lane on a highway and a car merging from the right stayed next to us, apparently not realizing that it's merge lane was coming to an end. Just as I was about to step on the brake and let him in, the car did that on it's own! Another time, the car changed moved out of the left highway lane when the car behind was "pushing" us.

Overall, the testing experience has become more rewarding and less stressful. Remembering to press the camera icon after each "event" is a challenge. The technology is truly wondrous when it works. I look forward to each daily test drive!

You know it's not "self-learning" right? The data gets sent to the mothership, they train the NNs further, and then the changes are released in updates.
Yes, I understand that, having seen it make the same mistake multiple times. But performance does seem to be improved in general compared to earlier weeks. Cleaning the cameras frequently may be a reason.