Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Strike Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, that has not been our experience about the sound. I have never heard a sound in my MX. Yup, there is a flashing bar, but we focus on the road not on the display. If it weren't for the kid in the back seat saying "Mommy it is flashing" (when she is driving), she probably would have been in AP jail more often. As for me, I manage to naturally keep a torque force on the wheel so I haven't experience any of that stuff.

hmm, wonder if S/X behave differently than 3/Y. Maybe Tesla thought the audio was less necessary since the flashing is in the front binnacle? I've def had the audio chime save me on a few occasions.

This is the part where I disagree. The most recent strike for me had no beep. I was in the car with a passenger, not listening to music, and we both did not hear a single sound from the car until it went into panic "take over immediately" mode. This was on (a nearly empty) Interstate 80 in Nevada during one of those 20 mile long straightaways. My arm was across the screen, but my hand was on the wheel.

No beeps.
This is my experience as well. In the latest version it seems to flash for a while and then eventually beep the first time it thinks your hands aren't on the wheel. And it also seems to take longer/more force now to "convince it" that your hands are actually on the wheel - like I've had to tug on it so hard to get it to stop flashing that I've knocked it out of FSD many times. Then the second or third time it thinks your hands aren't on the wheel it will only flash, no beep, before flashing up the red hands of death and giving your a strike. It's not in my head, as a poster suggested. I've had my Model 3 for 4 years and gotten very used to the "hands on the wheel" routine. This is new and it's happened 4 times across two different cars. One time, sure, I might have missed the beep. Not four times.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiver and n.one.one
Hmmm, that has not been our experience about the sound. I have never heard a sound in my MX. Yup, there is a flashing bar, but we focus on the road not on the display. If it weren't for the kid in the back seat saying "Mommy it is flashing" (when she is driving), she probably would have been in AP jail more often. As for me, I manage to naturally keep a torque force on the wheel so I haven't experience any of that stuff.
Sometimes I get flashing with no beeps. Sometimes I get beeps with no flashing.

Reactions: cleveland97
You lost me at Mom is flashing while driving. Lol

I guess that's a bug with FSDb that seems to be affecting some people. Don't think this is very common among the beta testers. What model car?
X100D

The point is: I get why strikes are a thing, and while I agree they serve a purpose, I think after 6 months (or whatever) they should drop off your record. I also think that highway driving strikes shouldn't count against the FSD driving beta. I know at some point the highway and FSD stacks will merge, but for the moment highway is it's own (older) animal and all my strikes are from highway driving.

There have been times on 80 where it's soooooooo long and unchanging, that eventually the screen will start flashing just to check if its you and not a defeat device on the wheel. Usually after 45 minutes or so. In these cases I've wiggled and wiggled and wiggled the wheel with no response and eventually had to manually disengage and then reengage AP to prevent being put in AP jail.

Also interstate 80 is where the AP speed limiter hurts the most.

In these cases I've wiggled and wiggled and wiggled the wheel with no response and eventually had to manually disengage and then reengage AP to prevent being put in AP jail.

The only intended way to get a FSDb strike on the highway is if you don't acknowledge the steering wheel torque nags when they occur, or if the cabin camera deems you aren't looking front. Given you are having issues with instantaneous AP jail (strike), or the inability to apply some torque to stop a nag, both of which are abnormal behavior, I would recommend a service center visit.

Unfortunately, the SCs have a habit of throwing up their hands for anything FSDb-related, so you have to really emphasize that the inability to stop a nag is not an FSDb-specific problem.

X100D

The point is: I get why strikes are a thing, and while I agree they serve a purpose, I think after 6 months (or whatever) they should drop off your record. I also think that highway driving strikes shouldn't count against the FSD driving beta. I know at some point the highway and FSD stacks will merge, but for the moment highway is it's own (older) animal and all my strikes are from highway driving.

There have been times on 80 where it's soooooooo long and unchanging, that eventually the screen will start flashing just to check if its you and not a defeat device on the wheel. Usually after 45 minutes or so. In these cases I've wiggled and wiggled and wiggled the wheel with no response and eventually had to manually disengage and then reengage AP to prevent being put in AP jail.

Also interstate 80 is where the AP speed limiter hurts the most.
There is a bug where the Wheel Nanny stops acknowledging wheel torque or knob actions. The only solution is to simply reengage AP. It takes two seconds to do.

There is a bug where the Wheel Nanny stops acknowledging wheel torque or knob actions. The only solution is to simply reengage AP. It takes two seconds to do.
Have you seen this bug discussed elsewhere? Because if its true that there is such a bug it would 100% explain 4 of the strikes I've gotten across our 2 cars since 10.12 was rolled out. I agree that it takes 2 seconds to disengage and reengage, but if you keep trying to get it to recognized hands on the wheel without disengaging (like I have), and it doesn't recognize it, you end up with strikes...

Have you seen this bug discussed elsewhere? Because if its true that there is such a bug it would 100% explain 4 of the strikes I've gotten across our 2 cars since 10.12 was rolled out. I agree that it takes 2 seconds to disengage and reengage, but if you keep trying to get it to recognized hands on the wheel without disengaging (like I have), and it doesn't recognize it, you end up with strikes...
I have (pre-FSD Beta) experienced this bug several times, usually on long highway drives. I haven't had it pop up since I got put in the beta tho.

Yes, others have reported this issue.

I got fsd suspended a month ago on my model x software updated to 2022.12.3.20 with fsd suspended then just 3 days ago on the same fsd software i got back on the fsd beta que with safety score and car following set to 1 which means I'm on the fsd software with radar enabled waiting to get back in ..my model 3 also was suspended 3 months ago and I'm back on the fsd enabled with the strikes rested to 0 .. so yes you can get back in with a reset after being suspended
Did you anything to initiate to reset? Did you have to opt out of FSD beta in order to get access to the safety score again?

I’ve had 2 strikes with no warning. No beeping, no flashing blue screen. On one I had just seen the blue screen and tugged on the steering wheel less than 5 seconds prior. I confirmed that the warning disappeared and was driving straight ahead with my hand on the wheel when I got the red wheel of death saying FSD was disabled.

So yes, there are clearly bugs in the system and many people have gotten unjustified strikes. Tesla should really provide a reset every xx miles/months.

Did you anything to initiate to reset? Did you have to opt out of FSD beta in order to get access to the safety score again?
I sent a reply with the vin number to fsd beta it has to be a reply message to fsd beta with the email on account and make sure fsd betta que is disabled and after a few days you will get a software update back on to reg software updates make sure you keep checking for updates on the car ..then you opt back in for fsd beta ...dont know if 10.69 is going let more people back in ..you can thank your local California dmv for making tesla more cautious with roll outs which is a bunch of bs if you ask me fsd beta does a great job of keeping a lane on highways which a lot of people can't do

All my strikes were from highway NOA and my steering wheel slightly blocks the top display. I wish there was slight beeping as well with it. Suspended since March.
Same here on the model x . now when i get any message at all about fsd camera or steering wheel nag i disconnect fsd beta for about 30 secs and then i enable it again....i dont let it give me more than 1 message

Reactions: besnova
Moving from other thread.

It's been a long time since I did time in AP jail, but as I recall, you have to put the car in park and get out of the car.

I’ve never been in AP jail but have lost lane keep assist when peeking to pass other vehicles. For that I just had to put the car in park, figured it was the same for AP.

But, the objective should be to ensure attentiveness, not to punish. So, getting out of the car might encourage walking around a bit or taking a break so you can then keep your eyes on the road. In any event, having to get out of the car requires finding a place to park and certainly incurs some delay, so there is some negative feedback beyond loss of self-driving.

It’s not really punishment - the driver would still have all the background safety features. So no compromise to safety, and preventing accidents caused by inattention does not seem like a punishment. But simply putting the car in park (and getting out, this is also easy on city streets) doesn’t seem good enough in any case.

Before penalties, one should be able to select warning methods to ensure you are paying attention - like an option of increasingly loud alarms (kinda like having to wake up in the morning but with no "10 minute nap" option ;-)
Yeah that seems fine. There are already warning sounds that typically occur prior to a strike.

Last edited:
I just got my strikes reset with 10.69.2, but would like to avoid getting suspended again (I had it from 10/21 to 6/22). When I got my fourth strike, I made sure the FSD Beta switch was disabled in all profiles and made sure nobody was using it. My son took the car on the highway and got a strikeout in a fashion similar to others described above even though the toggle wasn't set to engage FSD Beta anywhere. Has anyone else gotten a strikeout without the FSD Beta switch on in the Autopilot menu? I'd hate to think you can get buggy strikeouts when FSD Beta isn't even enabled.