Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta strikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I finally got beta access today with a software update and am excited to test it out today. One concern is the “5 strikes” policy. I understand if I’m not paying attention it will count as a strike right? What if I have to disengage because the car is doing something wrong? Does that count as a strike? Any advice for best behaviors to ensure I don’t lose this would be appreciated!

User disengagements do not count towards the strikes. It will take multiple instances of it seeing you not paying attention before it gives you a strike.

Best behaviors...pay attention, don't look down at your phone. I know it sounds simple, but it really is that simple.

As is stated in the release notes, (I just pulled one from some release)
For maximum safety and accountability, use of Full Self-Driving (Beta) will be suspended if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five 'Forced Autopilot Disengagements'. A disengagement is when the Autopilot system disengages for the remainder of a trip after the driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness. Driver-initiated disengagements do not count as improper usage and are expected from the driver. Keep your hands on the wheel and remain attentive at all times. Use of any hand-held devices while using Autopilot is not allowed.

And if you get 5 strikes it should reset in about a week.

The main way people get strikes is by not being detected as torquing the steering wheel enough, for too long.
Most of the time, you get at least 15 seconds of "free ride" with no warning that the "not enough torque" clock is ticking. On recent releases, the first warning is a popup fairly low on the left portion of the screen. This one is pretty easy to miss noticing unless your peripheral vision gets sensitized to it.

A few seconds later, the next warning is a light blue shading background pulsing slowly in the upper portion of the left screen. This is much harder to miss.

The next warning combines sound with a more prominent popup. By the time this shows up you have not much time left to apply a little torque to the wheel.

Enough torque to be detected as paying attention, while not so much as to exceed the breakout force and pop you out of Autosteer is something to be learned. Personally, I find it easiest in cruise to hold my left hand at about the 10 o'clock position and just let a little weight fall on it. I can sustain that for many freeway miles without failing in either direction. Going around turns, I find it easiest to just let the wheel slip through my fingers very gently touching it.

Some folks have very little trouble with this, others quite a lot. Good luck.

I've not yet had a single strike, and I've got thousands of miles of FSDb driving on two cars over the course of a year in two different vehicles. Others report undeserved strikes popping up with high frequency.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Just to be clear. Is it possible to get a strike for any driving activities while not in FSD. Such as accelerating or braking too quickly? I was under the impression the car is always watching you to make sure you are being safe.

Is it possible to get a strike for any driving activities while not in FSD.
No. Strikes are given for not monitoring the car properly while using FSD. So keep torque on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road.

In contrast, Tesla Insurance will have the car monitor how you drive the car. They can then calculate a safety score that determines your insurance rate.

At first I was trying to 'jiggle' the wheel when it asked for a steering input, but the system doesn't want that. Just apply slight pressure in one direction or another, that's all you need to do, or just touch a scroll wheel. It's going to start flashing and beeping long before it gives you a strike, you would have to be reaaaaallly zoned out to not notice.

I have a 2020 model s.....I have experienced on two occasions, 3 strikes going north on the I-15.......and coming back, at the same place going south......this has happened 2 time on two different trips....I only get 3 strikes......and wait a week.....what is interesting it is on the same stretch of freeway......one going north and one going south.......this has happened when no one is around, 65mph with FSD engaged......and it just screams and flashed reed for no apparent reason.....

I dont get 5 strikes.....only 3.......anybody have any answers as to why?

Cars that do not have an interior camera get 3 strikes instead of 5.
I think I have an interior camera, but I only got three strikes before I was locked out for a week recently. I was driving a 2023 Model Y with just basic autopilot auto steer. We also have a 2018 model 3 with FSD (though not FSD beta as far as I know. we just paid the $3000 back in 2019 or something and got the HW4 upgrade...). By the way, for highway driving on 101, I don't seem much difference between FSD and just basic AP except I have to take it out of auto-pilot/ auto steer to do a lane change in the Model Y.

I think I have an interior camera, but I only got three strikes before I was locked out for a week recently. I was driving a 2023 Model Y with just basic autopilot auto steer. We also have a 2018 model 3 with FSD (though not FSD beta as far as I know. we just paid the $3000 back in 2019 or something and got the HW4 upgrade...). By the way, for highway driving on 101, I don't seem much difference between FSD and just basic AP except I have to take it out of auto-pilot/ auto steer to do a lane change in the Model Y.
I have a 2019 Model 3 as well, with FSD....We have HW3....I may be wrong, but was HW4 available in 2019?...

If you have FSD, you have the FSD Beta, FSD has not been released. I think that FSD was $5k on the 2018 Model 3. And you got the HW3 upgrade from the HW2.5.
HW4 just started for some cars a little over a year ago.
Both the Model 3 and Model Y have interior cameras. You can see it on the back of the camera cluster above the rear-view mirror.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
If you have FSD, you have the FSD Beta, FSD has not been released. I think that FSD was $5k on the 2018 Model 3. And you got the HW3 upgrade from the HW2.5.
HW4 just started for some cars a little over a year ago.
Both the Model 3 and Model Y have interior cameras. You can see it on the back of the camera cluster above the rear-view mirror.
Right. I got confused. They did a service call and installed some hardware. I guess that was HW3 that they installed around 2019.

Reactions: ewoodrick