Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love your videos. It feels like if FSD can just make it to the median and pause that it’ll have it handled. Like the system needs to split the maneuver into two discrete segments and it’ll have it solved(ish).
Well I've posted on this the number of times, pausing in the median is common practice but it's illegal, certainly in my state. It's not a good thing to do because it blocks the view down the road for everyone else.

Granted this median is a little wider than .most of the ones we have but the comment stands.

I do like that Chuck tests this turn over and over with each build, but truly the correct behavior for FSD to recognize the view blockage, turn right and make a U-turn.

The most disturbing thing about these cases is the car doesn't always seem to recognize that it can't see. On top of that it's inconsistent about getting as far forward as possible.

Some improvement certainly, I think the goal is for it to become reliable unconfident about these situations when it can see, and then reliably rerouting* when it can't.

*And some mechanism for tagging the map locations where this occurs, so that other Teslas don't try the same thing and block traffic while deciding whether to bail out.​

I look forward to seeing more unprotected lefts that are not vision-blocked. Anyway, this was a great and eagerly awaited benchmark for beta 10!

It doesn't always recognize vehicles coming from the left so that wouldn't help much.
The point is that can and should recognize that it can't see the road because of the fence blockage in Chuck's example. Is exacerbated by the camera placement / angle of view issue, but that's a slightly different topic.

If it can't see, it can't safely pull into the lane. If it doesn't know that it can't see, then that's a bigger problem.(The creeping behavior suggests that it does know, at some NN level, that it can't see yet, though various aspects of this are still disturbingly inconsistent.)

Reactions: Dan D.
The point is that can and should recognize that it can't see the road because of the fence blockage in Chuck's example. Is exacerbated by the camera placement / angle of view issue, but that's a slightly different topic.

If it can't see, it can't safely pull into the lane. If it doesn't know that it can't see, then that's a bigger problem.(The creeping behavior suggests that it does know, at some NN level, that it can't see yet, though various aspects of this are still disturbingly inconsistent.)
As a follow-up comment, I think it would be great to have a very similar set of tests from an entrance road that is not blocked by a structure like this. Of course the one Chuck has been using is a tougher test, but we're having some debate about the core problem - is it a problem of the blocked sight-line, or is it something the car couldn't do anyway?

I feel guilty suggesting more tests when Chuck is already doing so much, but I think it would be an interesting comparison to enter the very same roadway another block or two over, from an intersection that has no difficult blockage of the corner.

It seems like everything is an "edge case". I mean, this is literally part of my commute, so it's not an edge case for me, and does impact my usability.

Crossing an intersection and having the car suddenly want to change path incorrectly is not an edge case. Coming up on a bus and having it just sit there blocking two lanes is not an edge case. A crosswalk is not an edge case. A bus lane is not an edge case. Staying in your lane and not hitting the huge structure next to you is not an edge case. It failed at all of these. I thought Tesla was building a generalized solution, and could avoid even UFO's in the road?

As @powertoold said- It seems City Streets Autosteer only struggles in City Centers. Is this actually "Suburban Streets Autosteer" if common things found in city centers can be dismissed as edge cases? When will we have "city center autosteer"?
Sure, a lot of things where it fails now are not edge cases, but that doesn't change the Seattle monorail system from being an edge case. The Seattle one (out of less than the 10 total in the US) is the only one I see where there are road level curbless gaps between the pillars that go along public roads, and not only that, it is legal for cars to go between the pillars to reach the other side (so the move the Tesla attempts to do is not illegal, if it was able to perform it successfully).
List of monorail systems - Wikipedia

As for a generalized solution, that's the L5 aspiration part, but something Tesla is not aiming for in the short term (as per DMV doc). City Streets will be fully L2, so it does not need to be a generalized solution. So even if it completely fails on the monorail test, that doesn't affect its release in any significant way. There are however other things that would, that I will point out later.
View attachment 710205

Back to my question- people are already using current AP on city streets all over the place, in direct contradiction to Tesla's own manuals. The manual we point to when someone "relied" on AP and it crashed, and we point out that in no way, shape, or form could this have been Tesla's fault, as it's an L2 system.
Well you don't have to point to the manual at all, the fact it's an L2 system pretty much means by default it's not Tesla's fault, the driver bears the legal responsibility. There may be rare cases where the car may do a move that the driver can't possibly override (in which case might be considered car manufacturers' responsibility), but so far no evidence that's what is happening.
How could releasing city suburban streets autosteer be worse for safety than what they have now? Why is Tesla waiting?
We don't have safety related stats that Tesla may have, so no visibility on that question, but an obvious reason why Tesla is waiting for wide release is the current version is simply not good enough to be a useful feature.

You asked about the difference with release of AP previously up thread. Well the difference is that even under the most basic AP1, it was able to do the primary job of keeping the car in the lane 99.9% of the time, which is what won so much people over (vs other lane keeping systems that fall apart with even slight curves or ping pong between lanes). For City Streets, the primary function that is added is finally the car being able to make left and right turns on intersections. And on that front, for unprotected lefts, thanks to Chuck's videos we see v8.x well under half successful, v9.x roughly half or very slightly over, and the latest v10 is still not close to reliable in doing them. That's simply not good enough to be useful yet.

Last edited:
It doesn't always recognize vehicles coming from the left so that wouldn't help much.
Then it need to add future visibility into its path planner optimization. So it ends up in an angle where the rear facing cameras can see the coming traffic. I think this will be a few versions into the future where they have done this. Fortunately with Tesla’s approach the can just add another term to their cost function, validate and it should work…

Button info:

1631885312176.png

Lol.
You need to prove you are a safe driver without using autopilot via statistics that other insurers have given up on so you can use our Full Self Driving software.

Yep.. L4 is right around the corner.

...wut?

Teslas insurance algorithms explicitly include using autopilot.... (for example forced disengagements from ignored AP alerts count against you)

Also since you seem continually unclear, FSDBeta (really city streets) is an L2 system, not L4.