Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has never told me to go F myself.
Yeah. That's an all too typical straw-man.
Just one example of something that Tesla sent me in December when they could not finish my solar install in 2020 (before the solar tax credit got extended)
upload_2021-1-4_15-12-51.png

That is one way to tell me to F myself - I guess.

But instead, they just basically tell us to go F ourselves, when they have a number of options at hand to make things right.

• Funny
Reactions: Todd Burch
A question for FSD Beta testers:

What is the chance that Tesla is not yet using the B-pillar cameras for car perception? I know this seems absurd, but here are some things we already know:

1. There are many perception aspects not yet implemented in the forward facing cameras. A good example is the yield sign. The yield signs at roundabouts do not show up in visualization nor car behavior.
2. The wide angle camera just started to be used in regular Autopilot/FSD in 2020.48.30. This resulted in better signpost reading on shoulders.
3. Would the neural net not need to be trained completely differently at a perpendicular angle with respect to a parallel direction? Considering the improvements still needed for FSD Beta, isn't it possible this hasn't been tackled yet?

I know the camera feeds have been stitched together (that is one of the major foundations of this new rewrite), but has there been any neural net training for perpendicular travel from the B-pillar? Wouldn't this be a brand new major project in itself? Could some of the current unprotected left turn behavior be simply from the wide angle front facing camera?

Is there a test to confirm this? We have seen effective amateur front facing camera tests (please don't run over your wife).

Edit: I think I was wrong: the perpendicular perception may be similar to perception from the front camera(s), but tying that into behavior would be very different.

Last edited:
In the forward direction, you have your car's speed + the traffic driving in the opposite direction. So if both are traveling 65, that's a 130 mph change that the car has to be able to 'see'. That is why forward needs radar and side doesn't,

How does this show that the car doesn't need radar when it's traveling at 65 mph on a divided highway with no oncoming traffic? Elon said it was your speed, not the closing speed.

Just because you are unable to see how to solve a problem with the hardware set that Tesla has delivered in ~1million cars and counting, does not mean that Tesla has painted themselves into a corner, it just means that you've limited ability to see the solution that they are working on.
As you can see from the rest of my post, I said "I'd love seeing them succeed too".

Painted into a corner means you are facing a difficulty of your own making. In fact the more cars they have made, the more this is true. It does not mean they cannot solve it, nor did I say that. Just that they may have to make concessions based on the existing hardware. Having a free rein of hardware sensors would not have made this position necessary.

In the forward direction, you have your car's speed + the traffic driving in the opposite direction. So if both are traveling 65, that's a 130 mph change that the car has to be able to 'see'. That is why forward needs radar and side doesn't,
If you are crossing a divided highway, entering a controlled-access on-ramp, or short merge ramp, I would argue that if you need radar in the forward direction you need radar in all directions, side & rear. Other people drive at 90mph+ sometimes.

We have a famous and terrible merge point here:
Google Maps
People often get 'stuck' and stop. Now they have to merge from stopped with traffic approaching behind at high speed. They have about 40m (130ft) to get up to speed and safely merge. You have to look behind you and judge the traffic really well.

Last edited:
That's not what he said. You can listen at 8 minutes and 16 seconds where he says, "You only need radar in the forward direction cause that's the only direction you're going real fast." Nothing about closing speeds; you're going real fast. Apparently, the cars forward speed is enough to make radar necessary, but of course it would certainly be even more so for closing speeds.

Back in the military, we called this quibbling. Arguing a pedantic point against common sense merely at an attempt to win the argument.

Yes. Going real fast. Speed is a relative measurement. Always. It cannot be measured without establishing a reference frame.

Your speed while sitting on your couch in front of the TV is zero. It is also approximately 1000 mph relative to the center of the earth. It is also approximately 67,000 mph relative to the sun. Therefore your speed is both zero and very fast at the same time—depending on your frame of reference.

In this case, the frame of reference is attached to the self-driving car. As you see the approaching car in an oncoming lane, it is coming at you at something like 120 mph. Wheee!

Elon knows this. He started a freakin’ rocket company. It’s so trivial in his mind that the need to explain himself further was left as an exercise to the listener.

Reference: I do physics and kinematics for a living.

Last edited:
Back in the military, we called this quibbling. Arguing a pedantic point against common sense merely at an attempt to win the argument.

Yes. Going real fast. Speed is a relative measurement. Always. It cannot be measured without establishing a reference frame.

Your speed while sitting on your couch in front of the TV is zero. It is also approximately 1000 mph relative to the center of the earth. It is also approximately 67,000 mph relative to the sun.

Elon knows this. He started a freakin’ rocket company. It’s so trivial in his mind that the need to explain himself further was left as an exercise to the listener.

I hope that if my speed relative to the center of the earth is 1000 mph, it's away from rather than toward it.

So now you know what was on musk's mind rather than what he said. Yes, because he clearly knows the distinction between ground speed and closing speed, if he meant closing speed he would have said it. It matters here, and I would hope he would be precise in his meaning.

Last edited:
I hope that if my speed relative to the center of the earth is 1000 mph, it's away from rather than toward it.

It’s tangential, so neither :).

So now you know what was on musk's mind rather than what he said. Yes, because he clearly knows the distinction between ground speed and closing speed, if he meant closing speed he would have said it. It matters here, and I would hope he would be precise in his meaning.

I don’t think he would have said it. Ironically, you made an almost identical mistake here.

When you said “I hope my speed relative to the center of the earth is away from it rather than toward it”, you really meant VELOCITY (which includes direction), but you said speed (which is only magnitude). But I knew you *meant* velocity, because your point was clear and unambiguous.

I would claim that you were neither lying nor being misleading in your statement—simply speaking informally but with clear intent...just as Elon was doing and just as most people do in regular speech.

Not trying to pick on you here, and I understand your concern about whether camera-only is sufficient for the other directions. I’d just say that I’m fairly confident Tesla has thought about this very thing and proven to themselves that it can be done.

So how does the car determine the speed of a car coming in the side street? That speed is needed to judge if you can get into the Xn or not. This is needed for both unprotected left and also right turns.

I don’t think he would have said it. Ironically, you made an almost identical mistake here.

When you said “I hope my speed relative to the center of the earth is away from it rather than toward it”, you really meant VELOCITY (which includes direction), but you said speed (which is only magnitude). But I knew you *meant* velocity, because your point was clear and unambiguous.

I would claim that you were neither lying nor being misleading in your statement—simply speaking informally but with clear intent...just as Elon was doing and just as most people do in regular speech.

Not trying to pick on you here, and I understand your concern about whether camera-only is sufficient for the other directions. I’d just say that I’m fairly confident Tesla has thought about this very thing and proven to themselves that it can be done.

You're a big jerk*.

* derivative of acceleration

OK, you don't think he would have said it. I guess that settles it.

I meant speed, because that's what you said, that the speed was relative to the center, so it could be in any direction. I think we're both aware that the tangential velocity is the change in the vector position of a point on the surface of the earth about the axis of rotation in the plane of your latitude with respect to time. So if I was at the north pole and my speed relative to the center was 1000 mph none of it would be in the tangential direction,since that would be zero. Also since I'm not on the equator my speed in the tangential direction is not 1000 mph, I hope the difference in velocity is away from the center of the earth.

You only assumed you knew what I meant.

Last edited: