Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, you're one of those.... okay.
It is features that did not exist when you bought the car and exist on your car now. (and Sentry Mode has caught a ton of break ins and prevented more)

But you have a good life!

Sure, and I'm not denying that they're good. But ultimately if I hadn't paid thousands of extra dollars for FSD, I would still have those features. I think it's very important to acknowledge that yes, the car is better than when I got it, but they're still a very, VERY long way from delivering the features I paid for.

Adding cool stuff is cool… but it doesn't make up for not giving people what they paid for.

Reactions: pgkevet and jdr93
Sure, and I'm not denying that they're good. But ultimately if I hadn't paid thousands of extra dollars for FSD, I would still have those features. I think it's very important to acknowledge that yes, the car is better than when I got it, but they're still a very, VERY long way from delivering the features I paid for.

Adding cool stuff is cool… but it doesn't make up for not giving people what they paid for.
A- You don't have any idea how far away they are from FSD. Nobody does since we have no way of knowing if the very latest has or has not been released, even to beta testers.

B- You knew, or should have known, exactly what you were buying when you bought your car. I certainly did. If your expectations were other than what you perceived, well that's on you.

Sorry you feel like you've been screwed but I can't see anybody's fault but your own.

Dan

A- You don't have any idea how far away they are from FSD. Nobody does since we have no way of knowing if the very latest has or has not been released, even to beta testers.

B- You knew, or should have known, exactly what you were buying

B- You knew, or should have known, exactly what you were buying

A: Sure. They could release Level 5 driving later this year… but I'm pretty sure they won't.

B: For some reason, Elon's charisma made me forget that he's still a salesman, and I didn't go in with my usual cynicism, and I didn't think to spend a bunch of time researching the history of Tesla and the frequent delays and failures to follow through. Yes, you can blame me for not doing due diligence, but you can likewise blame people who fall for scams and grift in other forms.

I'm not the only one who got snookered, but it won't be happening to me again. A lot of people seem to take issue with my attitude here, but honestly, if my anger and cynicism can help others see that dealing with Tesla/Elon isn't all sunshine and rainbows, maybe I can prevent them from ending up in the situation I'm in. If people go in with their eyes open and know and REALLY UNDERSTAND that they might never get what they paid for? Fine, their money. But nobody should have to find out the hard way that what Tesla/Elon says and what Tesla/Elon does are often wildly disparate.

While it's certainly legitimate to gripe about FSD not being delivered "on time" or paying for something for years without benefit, one must also consider one major point of paying for it early was the discount. If you waited until it was released, it was going to and will cost significantly more.

So please consider some monetary benefit was indeed received in exchange for lack of feature delivered.

While it's certainly legitimate to gripe about FSD not being delivered "on time" or paying for something for years without benefit, one must also consider one major point of paying for it early was the discount. If you waited until it was released, it was going to and will cost significantly more.

So please consider some monetary benefit was indeed received in exchange for lack of feature delivered.

Tell me more about how buying it early was a benefit when they sold it a thousand dollars cheaper in 2019, well after a lot of us bought it.

This is like complaining you didn't get to buy $TSLA at the $180 low, only bought it at $250, when it now is at like $4000.

That's not really a good analogy for a wide variety of reasons.

No, it's like preordering a product and not getting your preorder price adjusted to the lower price if they sell it cheaper before release. Notably, this sort of adjustment is how it works with basically everyone else.

We paid for the product before *even a single feature* was released, because we were told it would be more expensive later. Then they reneged on that and lowered the price, and told us we'd get invited to the Early Access Program since we paid more. Then they reneged on that, and told us we'd get priority for software updates. Then they reneged on that, too.

They can't control the release date, but they can control the rest of it. When you say you're going to do something that's within your control, and then *choose* not to do it, you've chosen to lie.

Hardware retrofit, yes.

Nav on autopilot is an Enhanced Autopilot feature.
Sentry mode: Eh, it's neat I guess but doesn't do anything for the driving.
Smart summon: Enhanced Autopilot feature.

Traffic light and stop sign control is the only actual FSD feature they've released. It's fine, and nice to see that they released *something*.

I'm not saying the car hasn't improved (there have been lots of improvement, and autopilot itself works MUCH better than it did 3 years ago), but ultimately I paid for the ability to have my car drive me places without me having to supervise, touch the wheel, etc. That hasn't happened and it's increasingly clear it's not going to happen within the next several years, and I'm already at the point where I'd normally sell the car and buy a new one. I'd like to get a Model Y, but I'm not going to buy FSD again since I've already been burned once, and I'm not going to buy without it because there's no way I'm going to *downgrade* from the feature set I have now… I am an angry customer and disappointed with a lot of things, but Nav on Autopilot and Autopilot lane changes are not something I want to give up.

Ultimately though the big problem I have is that Elon/Tesla has repeatedly overpromised and underdelivered, including outright *lying* to early FSD buyers about what they're going to do as penance for previous overpromising and underdelivering.
On one hand I certainly understand where you are coming from - I really do.

But this is 2020 (er... 2021) and in this day and age you buy something (ESPECIALLY technology) for what it already DOES not what it's promised to do. At a minimum you buy it for what it does and HOPE that it does what they promise it will eventually do.

Reactions: jdr93
On one hand I certainly understand where you are coming from - I really do.

But this is 2020 (er... 2021) and in this day and age you buy something (ESPECIALLY technology) for what it already DOES not what it's promised to do. At a minimum you buy it for what it does and HOPE that it does what they promise it will eventually do.

You're correct, Elon/Tesla does not deserve to be trusted with the promises they make. I was naive and optimistic at the time and thought that companies that mislead customers would be held accountable.

• Funny
Reactions: jdr93 and mikes_fsd
You're correct, Elon/Tesla does not deserve to be trusted with the promises they make. I was naive and optimistic at the time and thought that companies that mislead customers would be held accountable.
Why continue to torture yourself, just sell the car and go buy one from an honest car manufacturer!
Tesla has not misled anyone Autopilot the info at introduction of Autopilot 2016 was pretty much the same and said delivery on FSD will take time to validate and would be provided as an OTA update.

You just want to play the victim...

...thought that companies that mislead customers would be held accountable.

Man, if only you had been a video game enthusiast prior to being a Tesla enthusiast, you'd have had the no pre-orders motto embedded into you already. The Battlefield games, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76... Let's see if over-the-air updates turn Cyberpunk 2077 into a fraction of what it was advertised to be, eventually.

Of course, I mean this lightheartedly. No excuses for systematic corporate false claims.

• Funny
Why continue to torture yourself, just sell the car and go buy one from an honest car manufacturer!
Tesla has not misled anyone Autopilot the info at introduction of Autopilot 2016 was pretty much the same and said delivery on FSD will take time to validate and would be provided as an OTA update.

You just want to play the victim...

Oh god you're one of those "if you don't like one aspect of Tesla, stop being a customer instead of trying to get them to change" people. Ok fine, you and I will never ever ever see eye to eye on this so I'll just save the time and put you on ignore.

• Love
Man, if only you had been a video game enthusiast prior to being a Tesla enthusiast, you'd have had the no pre-orders motto embedded into you already. The Battlefield games, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76... Let's see if over-the-air updates turn Cyberpunk 2077 into a fraction of what it was advertised to be, eventually.

Of course, I mean this lightheartedly. No excuses for systematic corporate false claims.

I pride myself on normally being good at learning from the mistakes of others, but totally screwed the pooch on this one.

• Funny
Lockdown boredom and lack of a suitable RPG for years tempted me to pre-order Cyberpunk 2077, almost broke the one rule when it wouldn't even make me receive it earlier. I'll have it stick properly this time (hopefully).

I'm trying to decide if I can say "on the bright side, at least I only had to learn this the hard way once" about something that cost me thousands of dollars.

• Funny
Here is a comparison between Standard Autopilot and FSD Beta 9. Enjoy!
Standard Autopilot definitely has issues with curves that should be taken <20mph, but overall it can drive plenty of straight miles without issue. I'm not familiar with Chicago roads, but there do seem to be plenty of diagonal ones that should have a higher concentration of odd-shaped intersections, e.g., those with 6+ ways to enter/exit:
chicago diagonal.png

Maybe a straight drive down one of these diagonal roads, e.g., Milwaukee, Ogden, Elston, Clybourn, Lincoln, Clark, will end up pretty boring, but maybe it'll show some interesting FSD visualizations of intersections and/or cases where it gets confused but non-FSD Autopilot might just happen to get right.

I'm trying to decide if I can say "on the bright side, at least I only had to learn this the hard way once" about something that cost me thousands of dollars.

For what it's worth I say stay on the bright side, take the lesson, ease up. It's important to hold companies accountable, and Tesla certainly deserves it in my opinion, as does for ex. CD Projekt Red, but pick your fights lest you get irritated as I have before in another thread already; this is still a Tesla enthusiast forum, after all.

Besides, if Tesla settled a lawsuit for labelling autopilot as 'safer', which is hard to establish and nonetheless a far less blatant case than their FSD ****ery, they might just get their comeuppance soon.