Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they did a general release, it would open it up to every idiot out there, and it only takes one who decides to watch Harry Potter or play a game on their phone (...)

Having a small number of beta drivers let’s Tesla control them much better.

As “one of those idiots out there”, I still want respect and FSD. Most of us have already seen Harry Potter and would prefer to see the Mandalorian on Disney.

and I recognize that FSD assisted driving in Beta 6 is better than me driving without computer assistance. Just sayin.

I need the car avoiding deer, kids chasing frisbees and soccer balls as well as my fellow idiots randomly driving poorly. With winter and snow coming, help finding the snow covered driving lane would be spectacular.

So I think it should be released to me and thousands of other Tesla idiots...

As “one of those idiots out there”, I still want respect and FSD. Most of us have already seen Harry Potter and would prefer to see the Mandalorian on Disney.

and I recognize that FSD assisted driving in Beta 6 is better than me driving without computer assistance. Just sayin.

I need the car avoiding deer, kids chasing frisbees and soccer balls as well as my fellow idiots randomly driving poorly. With winter and snow coming, help finding the snow covered driving lane would be spectacular.

Agreed. I think there are really two different types of folks out here. You and I are in one camp and the other camp feels like FSD has to be L5 capable before rolling it out.

Not 100% sure of what this is about. Is it supposed to be early workings of the 360º overhead view? If so it doesn't seem to be what people are asking for at all. Or is it about new Mapping options that are being tested or is it about new UI being tested but just using the Map side of the screen? Would like a better explanation. So far has any publication picked up Green's info and written an article?
I think that is that Green got ful development version which has lots of things that are not visible for end users.

How often do you run into things while driving right now? :eek:
Three beta testers have reported running into curbs and they're supposedly good drivers.

Also, your car will already automatically brake for obstacles with the current software...

Last edited:
One of the most common threads on TMC is owners asking about fixing curb rash. I see all sorts of drivers clipping corners regularly from all sorts of drivers just driving around.

How often do you run into things while driving right now? :eek:
Three beta testers have reported running into curbs and they're supposedly good drivers.

Also, your car will already automatically brake for obstacles with the current software...

I was referring to the two very public and infamous deaths on AP where one driver (a guy who also posted AP vids on YouTube touting the autonomous capabilities, iirc) was watching Harry Potter on his laptop when his car didn’t stop for a truck making a left turn and whose white trailer apparently was disregarded by the radar and the cameras, so the car ended up driving through it. The second death was by a software engineer (iirc) who had previously complained about his car on AP screwing up that particular section of the freeway by driving straight at the spearpoint median, and yet still played games on his phone while on AP. I’m sure you and turnem are responsible drivers and would use the system responsibly, but it only takes one or two morons who decide the system is capable enough for them to just check a text or straight up decide to watch Netflix to ruin things for Tesla and the rest of us. Tesla already took a ton of heat for those two instances, how much more heat will they take if a car on “FSD” plows through a kid or stops halfway through a right or left turn on a busy street and gets Tboned?

There’s no indication that the new beta would be at all helpful on snow covered roads, btw. No videos of it handling unplowed roads that I’ve seen so far. Also no real evidence that FSDBeta’s willingness to drive around pedestrians in the road is safer than current AP’s decision to slow down and stop for them entirely/AEB slamming on the brakes for cases like kids running into the road either. We’d need data for that, which we don’t have. Even Tesla may not have that data themselves, since the beta is so limited and ever changing.

Tesla's Self Driving Beta is Good in Double and Triple Roundabouts, But It Can't Yield! | Autopilot - 15:34 - Dirty Tesla

The car handles roundabouts well, it looks like, but stopping at yield signs every time needs to be fixed eventually. As is, with Tesla likely iffy on their traffic detection for roundabouts, it’s safer to stop entirely, but that’s going to piss off other drivers behind the car. When Tesla grows more confident in their traffic detection I’m sure (I hope) they’ll fix that.

9:33 - car appears to head straight towards a median, and Dirty Tesla takes over and reports the issue. Immediately afterwards the car does handle a narrow squeeze through a lane partially obstructed with some cones and a dumpster.

11:30 - car handles construction blocking a lane well.

The car handles roundabouts well, it looks like, but stopping at yield signs every time needs to be fixed eventually. As is, with Tesla likely iffy on their traffic detection for roundabouts, it’s safer to stop entirely, but that’s going to piss off other drivers behind the car. When Tesla grows more confident in their traffic detection I’m sure (I hope) they’ll fix that.

9:33 - car appears to head straight towards a median, and Dirty Tesla takes over and reports the issue. Immediately afterwards the car does handle a narrow squeeze through a lane partially obstructed with some cones and a dumpster.

11:30 - car handles construction blocking a lane well.
Thanks to @mhan00 for your frequent overview and analysis of the videos.

I was referring to the two very public and infamous deaths on AP where one driver (a guy who also posted AP vids on YouTube touting the autonomous capabilities, iirc) was watching Harry Potter on his laptop

From the NTSB report: Collision Between a Car Operating With Automated Vehicle Control Systems and a Tractor-Semitrailer Truck Near Williston, Florida, May 7, 2016. (ntsb.gov)

NTSB investigators located the car driver’s cell phone, two laptop computers, and several other Internet-connected devices associated with his employment. 27 Investigators did not uncover evidence that any of the devices had been in use at the time of the crash. Due to damage, however, examination results were inconclusive for the cell phone and one laptop.

Note that there was no portable DVD player found as initially reported by the news. Also, if one of the devices was still playing when the truck driver/police arrived at his car surely one of the 27 investigators would have been able to find evidence that a device was being used at the time of the collision. So I conclude that this is fake news, spread by the truck driver to try to point blame away from himself.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
From the NTSB report: Collision Between a Car Operating With Automated Vehicle Control Systems and a Tractor-Semitrailer Truck Near Williston, Florida, May 7, 2016. (ntsb.gov)

Note that there was no portable DVD player found as initially reported by the news. Also, if one of the devices was still playing when the truck driver/police arrived at his car surely one of the 27 investigators would have been able to find evidence that a device was being used at the time of the collision. So I conclude that this is fake news, spread by the truck driver to try to point blame away from himself.
Thanks for the correction. I would assume the driver was distracted with something, but apparently movies weren’t it.

13:00 - Brandon sounds pretty done with the beta. Says using it on the drive to Merced was so stressful and exhausting that he didn’t want to drive at all
Thanks for the summaries. I tend to skip his videos as he seems to be complaining about the same thing over and over again as if the viewers can do anything about it while he has the option to not activate Autopilot on city streets or turn off FSD beta in his settings as Tesla isn't forcing these testers to drive more or even use it.

I really hope the Autopilot development team has a good triage system as watching hours of video only to realize the reports are duplicates of something they're already tracking is wasteful. Sure, a bug filed is better than a bug that the team is unaware of, but at this point, I'm pretty sure Autopilot engineers know about the issue.

Thanks for the summaries. I tend to skip his videos as he seems to be complaining about the same thing over and over again as if the viewers can do anything about it while he has the option to not activate Autopilot on city streets or turn off FSD beta in his settings as Tesla isn't forcing these testers to drive more or even use it......
But he does have some of the MOST challenging FSD Beta videos. Also while we are not privy to the details of the NDA they signed, I bet part of it is a stipulation to use and test FSD Beta some reasonable amount of driving time or risk losing the privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
NTSB investigators located the car driver’s cell phone, two laptop computers, and several other Internet-connected devices associated with his employment. 27 Investigators did not uncover evidence that any of the devices had been in use at the time of the crash. Due to damage, however, examination results were inconclusive for the cell phone and one laptop.

MP3Mike, the 27 is a footnote reference, so the sentence is just "Investigators did not uncover evidence..." Doubtless there were many investigators but not specifically 27 Investigators.

The absence of a portable DVD player is not indicative of anything as movies can of course be played on the hard drive, SSD, USB, or streamed.

The investigators didn't find a movie on the laptop, but some devices were unrecoverable, also the devices may have been capable of streaming a movie. They only indicate that they found no evidence of a movie playing, not that it was conclusively proven that no movie was playing.

They did find some MP3 sound files from Harry Potter movies. This at least gives some likelihood to the truck driver's story about hearing such sounds. They don't say that the sound files were playing.

In my opinion it's not proven that the driver was or was not watching a movie, just that they did not find evidence of that. Owing to the destroyed equipment it is also impossible to prove this one way or another. The conclusion cannot be made that he was not watching a movie, but he was certainly distracted in some form.

Watch again. It starts to turn towards the median, Dirty Tesla disengages, says “That wasn’t very good” and hits the report button.
Nope. I don't see anything amiss at 9:33. In fact this is what he said then:

upload_2020-12-7_17-17-3.png

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD