Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSDBeta 9.0 - 2021.4.18.12 - Unprotected Obscured Left Turns with Drone View

Mixed Results, Check it out.

Damn, that was bad. I actually like the car not trying to make the left and re-routing right. They just need to program in a re-route that utilizes a u-turn, and enable the car to perform the maneuver. What I’m at a loss for is the later attempts where the car started intruding into the opposite lane before attempting to make the left turn. IMO, you 100percent should have intervened immediately when the car did that and not let it keep sit there for so long. That’s such a terrible maneuver that letting it try to make the left at all at that point is completely pointless and needlessly dangerous. And I think it did three times in a row. I’m at a loss as to why the behavior changed like that.

Reactions: Matias
That’s such a terrible maneuver that letting it try to make the left at all at that point is completely pointless and needlessly dangerous. And I think it did three times in a row. I’m at a loss as to why the behavior changed like that.
Gee, if only someone in the world could answer that question. Say, an official tech spokesperson from Tesla.

Any out there? Anyone?
Why the h*ll not? It is unprofessional to have no official PR discussion.

Last edited:
Gee, if only someone in the world could answer that question. Say, an official tech spokesperson from Tesla.

Any out there?
Anyone?

Why the h*ll not? It is unprofessional to have no official PR discussion.
Remember they fired their entire PR department basically like 1yr ago....it's been crickets since. All you get is Elon's blabber on Twitter full of lies/deceit.

FSDBeta 9.0 - 2021.4.18.12 - Unprotected Obscured Left Turns with Drone View
I would guess neural network training for Beta 9 happened to decrease the prediction certainty of that particular intersection and/or thresholds for deciding if a predicted path should be even considered got adjusted from 8.2. (As a reminder, it seems like FSD uses the neural network to predict likely paths, e.g., continue straight or turn, and software 1.0 control logic looks at navigation to pick which path likely takes us closer to the destination; however, if there is no path prediction to turn left nor go straight exceeding some confidence threshold, the only path remaining is to turn right.)

Looking at your last 8.2 video, the intersection prediction often got confused whether there was even a left-turn destination as the perspective makes the median look like it could be connected to the edge of the road. The visualization from before makes this a little clearer:
8.2 dots.jpg

The new Beta 9 visualizations of fuzziness/transparency to reflect certainty makes it harder to view although that's somewhat the point:
9 uncertain.jpg

The case where FSD did successfully complete the turn, it might have been aided by the passing traffic that resulted in the neural network predicting that "another vehicle drove through here, so it's not actually the end of the road:"
9 traffic.jpg

Haha. Actually, maybe it's just later in the season with the grass greener and taller than before. :p Here's from March when the median's grass was brown and short, so visually it doesn't blend into the grass on the far side of the street:

shorter grass.jpg

Notice how the top left view shows just a little bit more road past the median to define the far edge of the median whereas more recent videos has grass sticking up blocking the view of the asphalt.

Damn, that was bad. I actually like the car not trying to make the left and re-routing right. They just need to program in a re-route that utilizes a u-turn, and enable the car to perform the maneuver. What I’m at a loss for is the later attempts where the car started intruding into the opposite lane before attempting to make the left turn. IMO, you 100percent should have intervened immediately when the car did that and not let it keep sit there for so long. That’s such a terrible maneuver that letting it try to make the left at all at that point is completely pointless and needlessly dangerous. And I think it did three times in a row. I’m at a loss as to why the behavior changed like that.
You can see similar behavior with turning left into the opposite lane before going right in the Sandy Munroe video above, on one of the turns towards the end (14:10 or so)

For comparison. Also some pixel level segmentation start at 9:00 or so for a little while. And then later at 27:00 (even a 'semi-drivable area' in the tunnel -- curb)

42:05 Jul 20, 2021 -- Title: Unedited Mobileye Autonomous Vehicle Ride in New York
Mobileye an Intel Company

Ey3ZPAI.jpg

Last edited:
I read an article on Yahoo that Tesla released v9 FSD. Is this true?
Yes. It is true.
If so how do I get it ? My 2020 S has the FSD package
Elon Musk tweeted that if you want to, you could call Tesla for a request for the Early Access Program.
Tesla would then do a screening to see if you are worthy of the Early Access Program.
Too many people called so he said he'll place a "download button" on your car's screen so you can stop calling Tesla to request for the Early Access Program.
The "download button" was supposed to arrive approximately on 3/16/2021 so if you could hold your breath for the past 4 months, I guess you can do that a little bit more.

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00 and Frenchie
Teslavision has improved on the driving stability and wandering trucks that we saw in the previous Jan 2021 v10.1 version.

It lost visibility of the flatbed truck on the right for 38/60 frames though, about half a second. That didn't happen with the full side trucks. Then it showed it as a weird doubled truck that wandered. I would be more concerned that the flatbed disappeared just as it was about to be passed.

Truck.jpg

2:05 - car can’t see a stop sign blocked by a tree and stops too late. Amusingly, a few seconds later it sees an advertisement photo for a Lucid car and displays it as a car on the display.

9:00 - it does a much better job at the same stop sign as above. Not sure why.

9:23 - it handles a railroad situation that it failed miserably at on 8.2 much better, but it stopped and the driver isn’t sure why. I’m pretty sure it stopped because of the stop sign that’s meant for traffic going straight and not crossing the tracks.

Fairly decent drive. But the car struggles with those oddly placed stop signs and they’re going to have to figure out how to consistently filter for them without having the car blow through stop signs it needs to stop at.

Driver is showcasing a waypoint workaround where he set up a series of addresses in his Siri Shortcuts so he can just say “Hey Siri, next waypoint” to have his phone share the next address with his car and re-route as needed.

Car seems to be having some trouble with pathing out approaching cars and swerving to avoid when it’s not necessary, or at least that’s how I’m interpreting the swerves it makes.

2:50 - car is on an unmapped street and has no idea how to handle the lanes as it approaches a stop sign and turn and throws up warnings and asks for the driver to take over.

4:20 - car makes a mini swerve while making a left turn. I assume it’s because as it was completing the turn it saw the approaching pickup truck and thought it has to maneuver around it which didn’t look necessary. Nothing really unsafe, but it isn’t a good maneuver.

5:30 - it makes an unprotected left without issues, but driver does say that he can’t see to the right (presumable due to the vegetation) and the car proceeded. Honestly not sure if this was a good move or not since I have no idea what the car could see.

6:00 - as it approaches a left turn in the left turn lane, an approaching SUV makes the car swerve to avoid (I think). Disengage.

7:00 - car doesn’t stop for a stop sign it sees and has displayed on the screen. The positioning of it is slightly odd, which I guess made the car think it wasn’t meant for the street it was on (As opposed to the stop signs in Frenchie’s vids where it stopped when it wasn’t supposed to). Disengage.

9:00 - car makes an unprotected straight across a couple lanes of traffic from a stop sign. Driver noted that he couldn’t see to the left as the car crept out and then proceeded. There was traffic coming from the left but plenty of space to make it before they could arrive. Again, not sure how good this was since I have no idea what the car could see that the driver couldn’t.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
2:05 - car can’t see a stop sign blocked by a tree and stops too late. Amusingly, a few seconds later it sees an advertisement photo for a Lucid car and displays it as a car on the display.

9:00 - it does a much better job at the same stop sign as above. Not sure why.
I think it almost has to have cached the location of the previous sign. Note that the first pass, the sign appears on the screen all but simultaneously with it appearing from behind the bush. The second pass, it's there several seconds early when it is clearly NOT visible to the cameras.

Honestly, I give it a pass for that first encounter. It saw the sign and tried to stop! There's just not enough time to come to a full stop with whatever stopping authority it was allowed to use for non-emergency driving.