Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta waiting game

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought Model Y at the end of May and also in queue for FSD beta. Droves 3912 miles with Safety score 99-100. Uphill now, no signs of invitation for Beta. When will this game be over? Anyway I will know that I will get Beta? Lost all the hope for now

Bought Model Y at the end of May and also in queue for FSD beta. Droves 3912 miles with Safety score 99-100. Uphill now, no signs of invitation for Beta. When will this game be over? Anyway I will know that I will get Beta? Lost all the hope for now

You just got to wait. Be patient. You will get it whenever Tesla picks your VIN. It is possible that it will get pushed to your car at the next FSD Beta version after 10.69. Also, Tesla usually pushes a limited 10.x version and then a fix, 10.x.1, and then a wide release 10.x.2. You are unlikely to get the limited 10.x version. You are more likely to get 10.x.2 version when it goes wide to all FSD Beta testers.

Reactions: bizi
I am really disappointing for paying the same price but only getting part of a product. Tesla should publish the criteria how they select what buyers should receive FSD beta and what buyers cannot. In this way, the buyers can make an inform decision when they decide to purchase FSD. Tesla should be transparent and set right expectations for their customers.

I am really disappointing for paying the same price but only getting part of a product. Tesla should publish the criteria how they select what buyers should receive FSD beta and what buyers cannot. In this way, the buyers can make an inform decision when they decide to purchase FSD. Tesla should be transparent and set right expectations for their customers.

You will get what you paid for. The full FSD has not actually been released yet. FSD beta is simply an "early access" to the beta version. But everybody who paid for FSD will get the full version when Tesla releases it publicly.

Reactions: TresLA and Dewg
And, just to make another point: The FSD-Beta is a BETA. It's for testing to send data back to Tesla. It makes mistakes, lots of mistakes. A certain small percentage are deadly - like, for example, running red lights, something my FSD-b M3 tried to do three days ago.

Most of the time it's just plain stupidity: VERY SLOW turns, swinging to the right on left turns (and earning honks that way, no joke), panicking in the middle of a freeway for no discernible reason and demanding that one take over. Not, these are not rare.

It also can drive for miles without making an error, make right and left turns sometimes without raising an eyebrow, and so on. Today, on the way through a town's downtown, it braked rapidly as a pedestrian attempted to cross the road without looking. It does a decent job.

But, the release notes state, and I quote: "The car will do the wrong thing at the wrong time." You are Extremely Encouraged to keep hands on the wheel at all times, it currently requires eyeball/cabin monitoring to make sure you're paying attention. Because, seriously, Not Paying Attention will, if you're lucky, result in bent metal, and, if you're not lucky, much worse.

It's not a stress-free experience, believe you me.

Why do humans enroll? Because the data goes to Tesla (there's an icon that one hits when stupidity strikes) and they use that incident, and all the incidents from all the other testers to improve the product. Improve it enough, and those who paid up front for FSD are going to get a real, non-Beta version of the software that works better than what we all are contending with.

So: If you want to help Tesla and yourself, apply for the FSD-b program and prepare to raise your blood pressure. If you just want to go cross-town and can do without the near-misses, then don't. You'll get FSD - but when it's ready, which it currently very definitely is not.

Reactions: bhzmark
I'm in the same boat. What I've learned here is that accepting software updates is delaying access to FSD Beta. I'm currently on 2022.28.X, but FSD is running on 2022.20.X. Tesla apparently will not let you roll back to previous versions, so I'm going to have to wait for FSD to come to my version. Looking at the Software version/FSD version history, it seems like FSD comes with every 4th SW version. So it looks like I have an 8 week wait

The question is when will I get what I paid for? Don’t mind to wait, but Tesla should be more transparent in letting us know where we are in the queue, and when shell we expect to join Beta. Very disappointed with Tesla on this issue.

Yes, Tesla should be more transparent about when FSD will be released. I think, part of the problem, is Elon keeps thinking FSD is close to being solved. So he keeps thinking FSD will be ready for wide release sooner than it is.

But like I said, don't worry about getting in the queue for FSD Beta. FSD Beta is NOT the public release of FSD. FSD Beta is just "early access" to the very beta version of FSD. FSD Beta is like when a gaming company invites people to be among the first to play a game that is still in beta development before it is released to the public. You will get FSD when it is released publicly. It's just a question of when Tesla considers FSD good enough for public release.

Last edited:
And, just to make another point: The FSD-Beta is a BETA. It's for testing to send data back to Tesla. It makes mistakes, lots of mistakes. A certain small percentage are deadly - like, for example, running red lights, something my FSD-b M3 tried to do three days ago.

Most of the time it's just plain stupidity: VERY SLOW turns, swinging to the right on left turns (and earning honks that way, no joke), panicking in the middle of a freeway for no discernible reason and demanding that one take over. Not, these are not rare.

It also can drive for miles without making an error, make right and left turns sometimes without raising an eyebrow, and so on. Today, on the way through a town's downtown, it braked rapidly as a pedestrian attempted to cross the road without looking. It does a decent job.

But, the release notes state, and I quote: "The car will do the wrong thing at the wrong time." You are Extremely Encouraged to keep hands on the wheel at all times, it currently requires eyeball/cabin monitoring to make sure you're paying attention. Because, seriously, Not Paying Attention will, if you're lucky, result in bent metal, and, if you're not lucky, much worse.

It's not a stress-free experience, believe you me.

Why do humans enroll? Because the data goes to Tesla (there's an icon that one hits when stupidity strikes) and they use that incident, and all the incidents from all the other testers to improve the product. Improve it enough, and those who paid up front for FSD are going to get a real, non-Beta version of the software that works better than what we all are contending with.

So: If you want to help Tesla and yourself, apply for the FSD-b program and prepare to raise your blood pressure. If you just want to go cross-town and can do without the near-misses, then don't. You'll get FSD - but when it's ready, which it currently very definitely is not.
Thanks for the inputs. Understand the risk and benefits. However, would love to have the option on hands.

Yes, Tesla should be more transparent about when FSD will be released. I think, part of the problem, is Elon keeps thinking FSD is close to being solved. So he keeps thinking FSD will be ready for wide release sooner than it is.

But like I said, don't worry about getting in the queue for FSD Beta. FSD Beta is NOT the public release of FSD. FSD Beta is just "early access" to the very beta version of FSD. FSD Beta is like when a gaming company invites people to be among the first to play a game that is still in beta development before it is released to the public. You will get FSD when it is released publicly. It's just a question of when Tesla considers FSD good enough for public release.
Agree! We may have to wait for another 5-10 years!

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Agree! We may have to wait for another 5-10 years!
Actually: Despite my complaining about the Very Serious Bugs in the beta, it is improving. Lots. Seriously.

Yep, there are people who are convinced it'll never be done, or not without lifetime of X. I, personally, don't think so. How soon.. it's really, really hard to tell.

And, if you're interested in testing the beta, its bells and whistles, and all that, wait a couple of weeks. GA for those interested is coming. It's fun playing with the latest and greatest, but it's not for the faint of heart :).

The question is when will I get what I paid for? Don’t mind to wait, but Tesla should be more transparent in letting us know where we are in the queue, and when shell we expect to join Beta.
The questions of when you will get what you paid for, and when you will get the beta, are two separate questions. Not related to one another.

Fwiw I just got fsd beta on one of three fsd cars (all requesting beta) in the broader family fleet today and it was my main car that had the worst safety score --about 85 or lower last time I looked. I wasn't trying at all.

It's pretty cool but I may have to turn it off if it doesn't do highway at least as good as the main AP as that is my main use case.

I thought I saw on Twitter that there will be a broad roll out of a lot more beta.

Fwiw I just got fsd beta on one of three fsd cars (all requesting beta) in the broader family fleet today and it was my main car that had the worst safety score --about 85 or lower last time I looked. I wasn't trying at all.

It's pretty cool but I may have to turn it off if it doesn't do highway at least as good as the main AP as that is my main use case.
Highway (Interstate) driving is the same with or without FSDb. FSDb brings Autopilot on City Streets. It did not make any change to NoA or other highway features.

What I'm disappointed about is folks signing up thinking its near finished with no real intentions to actually do what they sign up for. Testing Beta software I test many beta products so am really excited...

Patiently waiting to get in but also on a newer verson so got to wait, have test routes mapped and data sheets ready... To read I got Beta and have to intervene and just won't use it until better sucks. Why sign up then.

Reactions: Dewg
I'm in the same boat. What I've learned here is that accepting software updates is delaying access to FSD Beta. I'm currently on 2022.28.X, but FSD is running on 2022.20.X. Tesla apparently will not let you roll back to previous versions, so I'm going to have to wait for FSD to come to my version. Looking at the Software version/FSD version history, it seems like FSD comes with every 4th SW version. So it looks like I have an 8 week wait
This is not our experience nor the experience of others I know. There was no advantage to holding off updates. If your VIN is picked, then you get FSDb. Tesla lets your car get the latest beta branch version, which means you may lose some of the newest features you recently got.