Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD in a used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking for a friend (seriously)...
Friend just bought from Tesla a 2020 S, the ad said it had FSD (not FSD capable, but it said that the car had it installed).
He got the car yesterday, and FSD is grayed out.
When I got FSD, I had to press the 'button' and deal with safety score, which, I believe, is no longer used.
Is there anything he has to do to get FSD activated?
Thanks!

I have seen this often in used Tesla ads. tThey scam you by calling autopilot, FSD. If it had FSD, it would've been included with the car. I don’t think they have allowed this to be transferred to other cars yet, or ever.
Tesla can only remove FSD if you trade in the car to them and they resell it. Otherwise FSD goes with the car (if purchased, not subscribed to).

As far as I know, if a car does not have FSD, then FSD does not appear on the displays, grayed out, or otherwise. However, currently, Tesla has disabled requesting the City Streets FSD beta due to the recent NHTSA recall effort. That does gray out the button to request FSD beta for now. But, if the car does not have FSD, that button should not appear.

So, it's likely that the car does have FSD. The sure way to tell is to simply go to the software page on the car's display and see if it states that FSD in an "included package". If it states that, then FSD was purchased for the car. If it has an expiration date, then FSD was subscribed. Ignore anything about having an FSD computer. Virtually Tesla's have that.