Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD is Now $7,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting that we will have driveway to parking lot FSD out in beta by June 2020 that will be able to complete a trip 50% of the time without intervention. 50% doesn't sound great, but when you think about it, it is AMAZING. I was a kid in the 1990s, watching this tech develop before my very eyes is INSANE.

My bet also extends to 90% of trips not requiring intervention by 31 Dec 2020. 99% by 31 Dec 2021. And 1 trip in 10,000 by 31 Dec 2022. The 1 trip in 10,000 will be a "graceful" failure.

Right now I would settle for it not trying to drive across my yard to get to the street, or to go from the street to my driveway. :)

I have EAP. Yesterday (in Canada) price was $4,200 to go from EAP to FSD (which just means new HW3 and traffic and stop light recognition). Today it is CDN$5,300. When I think back to when it was first offered to upgrade at CDN$2,400 for a brief period I think "oh I really missed out". But when I re-consider, either CDN$2,400 or $5,300 for traffic and stop light recognition - I am ok with missing out.

The bigger decision would be if I bought a new Tesla and would have to decide between FSD (CDN$9,200?) or basically nothing - that would be much tougher. EAP was really the best of all worlds.

This is the topic that never ends. This is Tesla we are talking about. They will threaten to raise prices to scare people into purchasing features they don't need. They will lower prices to get people to buy products they were on the fence on before. They will change what is included in certain packages. Don't worry, you didn't miss out on the deal of a lifetime. It will become cheaper again soon enough when Tesla needs to make more money. Elon can't resist.

This is the topic that never ends. This is Tesla we are talking about. They will threaten to raise prices to scare people into purchasing features they don't need. They will lower prices to get people to buy products they were on the fence on before. They will change what is included in certain packages. Don't worry, you didn't miss out on the deal of a lifetime. It will become cheaper again soon enough when Tesla needs to make more money. Elon can't resist.
True, I recall them stating the other day that US sales were down almost 40%. Of course, Elon may not care if overseas sales carry them to consistent profit going forward, or if the Y reverses the US sales.

NOA, Smart Summon, Auto Park and Auto Lane Change are not vaporware. Those features are out now. The only features in the FSD package that we are waiting on now are traffic light response and automatic city driving.

so *just* the stuff which is most likely to kill people if the detection / FSD feature fails there.... the notion that the NTSB will green-light true and FULL self driving for the general public by end of this year or next year is "funny'. And no - true FSD is NOT to have your hands on the wheel at all times and be ready to intervene within split seconds with the only full thing being the full responsibility on the driver...

True, I recall them stating the other day that US sales were down almost 40%. Of course, Elon may not care if overseas sales carry them to consistent profit going forward, or if the Y reverses the US sales.

Im guessing sales are down in the USA because delivery times are longer as sales are booming overseas in lots of new locations and they can only build so many in Fremont.

I did not buy into EAP or FSD when bought the car in Dec. 2017. Last year, I bought FSD when it was on sale. I paid total of $6600(cad) on sale. EAP alone was $6600(cad) when I bought the car, and the sales person talked me to opt out when I was buying the car.
My car has MCU1 and can not handle back camera feed efficiently. Many time it display frozen image from past while backing up. SC could not fix it, they replaced camera even MCU last month. With smart summon available, my car when seeing past frozen image could not see the current objects.
This is huge liability as my car will not recognize any pedestrians, and will mow them. Tesla will only brush it off, saying that I am responsible for any action. SC now confirmed that I am not the only one with this issue, and advised me not to use the smart summon. I paid for something which I can not use in my car, and Tesla will not fix it. When will Tesla stop being so irresponsible. They should have never released such feature which depends on another feature which is still not bug free.

so *just* the stuff which is most likely to kill people if the detection / FSD feature fails there.... the notion that the NTSB will green-light true and FULL self driving for the general public by end of this year or next year is "funny'. And no - true FSD is NOT to have your hands on the wheel at all times and be ready to intervene within split seconds with the only full thing being the full responsibility on the driver...

Elon has been very clear that FSD with no driver supervision is not coming this year. First, Early Access will get what Elon calls "feature complete" hopefully by the end of this year and then the general public will get this "feature complete" with driver supervision later. Elon has also made it clear that "FSD" that does not require driver supervision will only happen much later after Tesla has fully validated the software and the fleet data shows that it is safe and regularors agree (what Elon calls "stage 3 autonomy" in the recent earnings call).

If you missed the earnings call, Elon specified 3 stages for the release of "FSD":
1) "Feature Complete", first to Early Access and then the public, requiring driver supervision.
2) After extensive validation, improvements and testing, the software will reach a safety level that Tesla considers good enough that it could remove driver supervision.
3) The software reaches the safety level where regulators agree that driver supervision is not required. Then it becomes "true FSD".

So no, Tesla is not planning to release the "stuff that is most likely to kill people if detection fails" just willy nilly to the public. It will go through internal testing, Early Access testing, public access with driver supervision and only when the data shows it is safe and regulators agree, will Tesla remove the driver supervision requirement.

sorry, not worth it at $7k. Maybe $2-3k or a monthly subscription they need to do.
Or just break it up. I could care less about FSD. I like to drive my cars, and I only use autopilot if there is traffic. I wish they would sell the self parking and summons separate. I would pay $2-$3k for a package with both of those features. Hard to justify spending $50k + on a car that you’re not going to drive. If I don’t want to drive somewhere, I’ll call an Uber haha

It's hilarious they're still saying that city driving is coming this year. Even funnier that some folks here actually believe/hope that will happen.

I half wish they'd keep increasing the price monthly just to see how far they will get away with selling empty promises.

I LOVE my model 3... but i agree. smart summon currently crawls painfully slow in parking lots and sometimes gets confused, drives in center lane or goes over the front yard at peoples houses.... but suuuuuure... FSD on city streets is coming this year ;)

Reactions: BulldogsRus