Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD just increased price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk tweeted to the British customer that he and others like him who couldn’t order by May 1 due to website unavailability that such buyers would have ten days extension.Tesla implemented the price increase for the US (and Canada?) yesterday which was a day late —and yet people are surprised. Wait for the next sale if that’s a problem.

Well I took a test drive last Sunday and my sales guys said flat out that the increase was May 10! Oh well.

I don't know who Tesla expects to buy in at this price. I get that they want to drive people into adding it on during configuration, but I would be shocked to hear that many people are jumping on at $8k after delivery.

Agreed. I am in same boat. I didnt purchase at delivery so now it cost me $8k? You would think they would want some money instead of zero. I would purchase for 3-4k but for 8k, absolutely not. The car already has the hardware and they spent the money on the research, any money they get is better than the little they get now. If you have 10 ppl and 7 will buy at $4k but 2 will buy at $8k its stupid for them. Instead of them getting my 3-4k, they get zero, just doenst make business sense.

Reactions: Perry and UTMB
It doesn't make sense to me that they would constantly increase the price as they add features.

I'm not sure why you would think that. As it becomes more useful, why wouldn't it cost more?

I would not be surprised if FSD eventually becomes free, if you allow your car to be used as a robo taxi for some period of time, and then Tesla will recoup its money that way.

That is possible, bit it could be many years from now. I suspect it will become free when it is standard on just about any car. Even ABS isn't entirely free on cars today. The price will come down when many companies are making cars with FSD similar to Tesla's.

I look at it this way. True L5 FSD is probably worth $10-20k as a feature (lots of people would pay that). What you're doing is pre-paying to have access to it, IF it comes out before your car dies. You're taking a risk by buying it now - you might get it for a relatively low price, or you might drop $8k and never get L5 capability. If you wait that risk will go away and you'll know exactly what you're getting, but now the price will be whatever others are willing to pay.

If you want to buy Microsoft stock in 1982 you'll get it for a cheap price. If you want it in 1994 you're going to pay a fortune for it, even though the stock you bought in 1982 is just as good as the new stock. If you want to buy it in 2012 you'll get it cheaper again, despite it being the exact same thing. The problem is that in 1982 you didn't know if it was worth anything at all, and in 2012 they're just another tech company. One day Tesla will probably be just another car company whose cars are no longer selling at a huge premium, but I couldn't tell you if that will be in a few years or in 50 years.

If you wait long enough a $18k car will have FSD. The only question is whether you'll be alive to see it...

Was going to decide of the weekend, looks like they made the decision for me :(

I'm not trying to be an a$$, but if a $1300 difference is causing you financial pain or uncertainness, maybe you should hold off on buying a car that is stretching your budget that tight.

If that's not the case, spend the money! It's a small extra amount to make sure you have all whistles and bells that make the car so much fun!

Reactions: mazers
Received a news report that the price increase was intended so as to create a car that increases in value? Ok, I bought my dual motor extended range back in November 2018 when the federal tax credit was $7,500. Now that same car is $11,000 less and you still get a $3,500 credit. Having FSD prices go up and down like the stock market will not overcome that initial depreciation. As context, this car is conceived and built at or near silicon valley, ca. This is where they build new technology that costs a LOT when first released, you can get it half price if you wait a year, and you have to replace it all in 2 years. Once you realize this, all the fluctuations in $$ makes more sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebmcs03
Wait, so 'Regular' summon is only included in the FSD package? I need to pay 6500€ for it to reverse out of my garage if that's all I care about?

Yes. The current Autopilot package only includes Traffic-aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer (lane keep) and nothing else. Purchasing FSD today gets you Summon, Auto lane-change, Autopark, and Navigate on Autopilot. In the future it will also include city driving, but it doesn't right now.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hopefully this will backfire and sales of FSD will tank, forcing them to rethink their pricing approach. It would be nice to see them offer EAP again

Agreed. Tesla is missing out on money from customers like me who want EAP but not FSD, atleast not at that price. Or maybe add features for $1k each that you want. ie Summon, Auto Lane change, Auto Park

I still say: Take whatever you think FSD is worth, $5K? Put it into Tesla stock now and wait. If Tesla actually releases a real FSD system to the public that actually works, the stock price will go through the roof and you'll be able to add it onto your car later.

On the other hand, if Tesla just keeps promising and hasn't delivered by the time you're ready to sell your car or it comes off lease, you still have some money in Tesla stock you can cash in.