Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price Cut to $12k Tonight, Aug 31/ Sept 1 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At best, it's a fun party trick. At worst, it's dangerous. I keep trying it every time I get an update but I've been disappointed every time.
I generally agree. My wife and I sought out a Model S without AP because we simply don't trust it. Several of our friends would use/abuse AP with defeat devices (pressure clamps on the steering wheel, etc) and would swear by the capabilities. Over time after software updates and driving on various roads, two friends had their cars jump curbs/medians causing suspension and wheel/tire damage to the tune of $4K...they stopped abusing AP and now use it the proper way but are now no longer singing its praises. They discovered that it simply doesn't work as well as they initially thought. To be fair, I'm sure it works better than I expect but I'm a control freak and generally want to understand the parameters in which it's suppose to work and not work. These EVs are the first vehicles I've ever owned without a manual transmission and without mechanical hand-brake...that's enough control that I'm giving up.

Last edited:
So, with the new price reductions I just noticed that FSD now is 12K...

Does anyone think it's worth it now? I tried it but my 2023 is still on 11.4.4 with HW4, not sure why it did not progress beyond that. I tried FSD, it worked well under the "average" mode. Did not like much but I still prefer to be driven and if 11.4.6 or 11.4.7 is much better, and assuming within a year it will be 2X 3X better, I do see myself using it most of the time. I came from BMWs and M-Benz which I have been driving on Drive-Assist or lane keep assist 100% of the time even in city, so am tunes to let the car at least steer and do centering, and taking full turns is even a plus to my liking.

DOES IT WORTH IT NOW? I did the 200/month math... at 12K, sounds like the comparison is closer now.

The new cars price reductions hurts... at least I got my long range at a 9,500 discount.... about 5K hit for me all together. Sucks but whatever I love my car.
Subjective but I wouldn’t pay that much for it.

I bought all of AP/EAP/FSD for 5k during the fire sale in 2019 and for that price, I was pleased with the functionality. But not for 12k.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Great points, but it also depends on what you measure. Things that are mass produced with high automation (e.g. as cars) may deflate with increased productivity, while fixed assets and manpower are mostly going up. Everything combined, the official inflation number is still positive.

That said, I find it disturbing and non confidence inspiring that the FSD price was reduced.

I get what you're saying, however don't mistake reduced costs to a company as deflationary. If they don't pass that on to the consumers, it's not deflationary, it's just more profit for them. Tech advancements are supposed to increase productivity, reduce costs, and improve efficiencies. The deflation comes when the free market (i.e. competition) forces lower prices for all.
Inflation should actually be harder to create at a macro level in a truly free market. Whereas in a market with mostly monopolies (massive global corporations), or a market that is constantly being manipulated by the gov, "inflation" (greed) is inevitable.

But getting back to this thread's topic, I commend Tesla for not being greedy, and improving their product without passing on the expense to their customers. It's refreshing actually. Wish it were more common from more companies.

Reactions: Olle
Ignoring any subjective debate about safety, capability, unfilled past or future promises, you can take a very simplistic time value of money perspective to judge if $12k one time payment versus a pay as you go $200/mo cost is the better financial proposition. Much of this comes down to what you consider to be the appropriate rate of return for the how you view the value of 1 dollar today versus 1 dollar at some time in the future.

If I take a very modest view that at current market rates, I have multiple financial institutions I use that will pay me a guaranteed 5% rate on a fully insured 8-12 month CD. So using that, which some would say is a very conservative rate of return, it a little under 6 years (about 69-70 months) before a $200 a month payment stream to reach a break-even point. Anything shorter time horizon, I'm better off just paying the $200 a month. If my time horizon is longer than that, then I'd be money ahead in the long run to plop down the $12k now.

Now there are a wide range of events that can alter that simple comparison, like scenarios where I only rent maybe for periods of time, or the monthly use fee increases, or rates of financial return swing wildly. Most of those likely even further skew the benefit to the pay as you go scenario.

I also totally am aware that my simple analysis assigns no residual value to FSD on vehicle resale. But if we're again talking resale of a vehicle 6 years from now, my contention is it's likely not going to be adding much given you'd be talking what is also 6 year old hardware technology such that the FSD product your reselling likely does not compare to what someone would get buying a much newer product. So put me in the camp that the value of FSD from a resale value is little to none.

So without making it more complex than necessary, are you confident that you'll still be using this 6 years from now? If not, then likely not a good purchase decision to spend 12k today versus 200 a month.

Just my 2 cents ... which you can discount at what ever economic rate you wish!

Ignoring any subjective debate about safety, capability, unfilled past or future promises, you can take a very simplistic time value of money perspective to judge if $12k one time payment versus a pay as you go $200/mo cost is the better financial proposition. Much of this comes down to what you consider to be the appropriate rate of return for the how you view the value of 1 dollar today versus 1 dollar at some time in the future.

If I take a very modest view that at current market rates, I have multiple financial institutions I use that will pay me a guaranteed 5% rate on a fully insured 8-12 month CD. So using that, which some would say is a very conservative rate of return, it a little under 6 years (about 69-70 months) before a $200 a month payment stream to reach a break-even point. Anything shorter time horizon, I'm better off just paying the $200 a month. If my time horizon is longer than that, then I'd be money ahead in the long run to plop down the $12k now.

Now there are a wide range of events that can alter that simple comparison, like scenarios where I only rent maybe for periods of time, or the monthly use fee increases, or rates of financial return swing wildly. Most of those likely even further skew the benefit to the pay as you go scenario.

I also totally am aware that my simple analysis assigns no residual value to FSD on vehicle resale. But if we're again talking resale of a vehicle 6 years from now, my contention is it's likely not going to be adding much given you'd be talking what is also 6 year old hardware technology such that the FSD product your reselling likely does not compare to what someone would get buying a much newer product. So put me in the camp that the value of FSD from a resale value is little to none.

So without making it more complex than necessary, are you confident that you'll still be using this 6 years from now? If not, then likely not a good purchase decision to spend 12k today versus 200 a month.

Just my 2 cents ... which you can discount at what ever economic rate you wish!
Good analysis! Your calculations line up with mine. Now if we are to assume that there's residual value of $3000 for FSD, then the break-even point will shorten to 54 months.

1693612059451.png

Of course it's not as simple as that. The opportunity cost for most people is higher than 5% and investment gains are usually taxable, but this is a reasonable first approximation.

FSD stays with the car as long as the car does not pass through Tesla’s hands. However, if you trade it in to Tesla they will give you zero for it as they simply remove it and then resell the car without it. The new buyer will have to buy FSD from Tesla if they want it.

And Tesla will not buy it back if you decided you didn’t want it.

I re-did the math and I think you guys are right. Even at 12K, it would take a lot of years before the re-sale value benefit (probably only 3K more) plus the monthly subscription avoidance, before it may exceed the 12K threshold.

Sounds to me that in order for FSD purchase to be well worth it it must drop to 6K... otherwise monthly and on an as needed basis is still better. Plus we travel outside the country for 2 months every year (that's 400 USD I can avoid per year) and during the very harsh winter of 4 months where I live, I would never ever want FSD as we can barely see the roads (that's another 200*4=800)... $1200.... Turns out my cost can be about 600 USD per year if I do monthly subscription and only use it when I really need it. Over 5 years of ownership, this is about 3000 USD... All that assuming the monthly cost remains 200 USD/m, but honestly if they increase it I don't see how anyone would subscribe to it (200 USD is already too much for many)..... For 200 USD one can lease a toyota camry lol and get another car really... or even support a loan for a Model 3!!!
what would happen if Tesla insurance was the only brand you could get and they required FSD?
my state, Idaho, doesn't have Tesla insurance yet and I don't know where to go.

DOES IT WORTH IT NOW?...
Like others have said, "No" at the current form and function.

I am among people who bought FSD for listening to the explanation that it's a solved problem and it should be a reality this year, then this year, then this year again since 2016, or the past 7 years.

After 7 years, it's been getting better and better, but with the inability to work with sensor fusion, I doubt Tesla's collision avoidance system will ever be reliable in my lifetime. See the article:

I think I have learned my lesson and will only pay for the present function and not a future hope.

It's better to pay for a present product that works than a future hope that has not worked for the past 7 years.

Reactions: SO16