Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price for EAP owners lowered by $1000

Wil you buy the $5000 FSD upgrade?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was ready to pull the trigger when Tesla raised the price again, so I didn't buy at the higher price.
Now the FSD Beta videos are very encouraging that at least level 4 Autonomy is possible. That combined with my recent Tesla stock gains made it an easy decision.

Good for you @KenC. I figured a lot of contact high NIO trading made it worth a brief spec try, but upon reflection took a slight loss and got out. This isn't to moralize, but for me loaning money to the most vile and toxic regime on the planet didn't feel right.
To be fair, buying a company's stock doesn't lend them anything, except at the IPO.

I just wish Tesla would sell EAP again. I'm not impressed at all by the surface street driving in the beta videos. They seem to make a significant number of mistakes, regularly require intervention, and do some things that are sure to annoy other drivers (drifting around/out of lanes, not pulling into intersections when turning left, etc.). All I want is the ability to have the car merge on highways without disengaging Autopilot :(

I bought Advanced Autopilot with the car and added FSD for $2K when it went on sale for about 3 weeks in 2019. I use the AAP on freeways but have heard about too many scratches, etc. using Summon and parking. No way FSD is worth $9K or $10K just to steer around the neighborhood or get off of the freeway. AAP is great on highways to take the fatigue out of driving, but until they have the Uber services, (years from now) FSD is far too expensive.

Also, I've put off buying a new MS because they do not allow the transfer of FSD to a new purchase.

Reactions: freeAgent
Ya the fact that fsd may be a subscription model or a license to be transfered to another vehicle is enticing to me. I won't pay $10k for features that doesn't exist for another few months. What if I crash my car in a few weeks? Then I have to go get a new used equivalent value car as my current. Not many insurance company will pay for FSD because some considers it as a post purchase modification and requires a higher premium to insure it. Just doesn't make sense to me until I can keep fsd in the account rather than the car, or a subscription a la cart option.

Reactions: freeAgent
Yeah, this is a messy issue. I imagine they're trying to find better solutions.

But the way I look at it, it's a gorgeous electric car with some unprecedented driver assist that keeps evolving. I get along with Nicki. I know when to take over, no problem, we drive better together than either of us alone. Think that over. I don't think it's debatable. Look at all the automobile "manual mode" fatalities that pile up every day (ICE and EV), and the few we've all read about on the front pages with Tesla's autopilot. To each his own, but for me the enjoyment, safety and convenience of the [car + software] package, over the last 2 years, and the next 1 or 2 or 8, is easily worth the extra 25%.

Look at all the automobile "manual mode" fatalities that pile up every day (ICE and EV), and the few we've all read about on the front pages with Tesla's autopilot.

Have you ever done the math on the percentage of cars on the road in the world that are Teslas? It's miniscule, so 1 Tesla accident equals a whole lot of other car accidents.

Have you ever done the math on the percentage of cars on the road in the world that are Teslas? It's miniscule, so 1 Tesla accident equals a whole lot of other car accidents.

Sure, but still, it's remarkably rare over a period of years,
and inescapably publicized when it happens. I'm thinking of
US fatal accidents, where the stats are well documented.

I think Musk is right to say we're talking orders of magnitude
safer with automation.

Last edited:
I just wish Tesla would sell EAP again. I'm not impressed at all by the surface street driving in the beta videos. They seem to make a significant number of mistakes, regularly require intervention, and do some things that are sure to annoy other drivers (drifting around/out of lanes, not pulling into intersections when turning left, etc.). All I want is the ability to have the car merge on highways without disengaging Autopilot :(

As an EAP owner I can confidently tell you, trust me, you're not missing much. Unless you like to live your life in terror, you're better off doing the merge yourself.

As an EAP owner I can confidently tell you, trust me, you're not missing much. Unless you like to live your life in terror, you're better off doing the merge yourself.

Not sure about the "terror" part, but I agree. The only thing I use on EAP is the auto-lane change, which is wonderful on long drives. I am more than happy to change freeways myself.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Not sure about the "terror" part, but I agree. The only thing I use on EAP is the auto-lane change, which is wonderful on long drives. I am more than happy to change freeways myself.

I meant auto-lane changes (when triggered by me using the turn signal) when I said merging. I would probably not use it for getting on/off the highway. That's literally the only thing plain AP doesn't do that I'd want to pay for.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. It took me several weeks of persistent trial and error to really get the hang of using freeway NOA. I expect Street NOA will be the same.

The anxiety is a normal initial reaction. It's like riding a horse. You have to be in charge. Once you get to know it, and know what to expect, when to dial in target speed, when to anticipate difficulties and disengage briefly, it's extremely useful. Most of my driving involves freeways, and I'm in NOA over 95% of the time. Saves (me) a lot of human energy :cool:. Hard to put a dollar value on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
So now this FSD price is lowered to $9k total out of pocket, anyone gonna do it?

Remember most of us had the chance to buy AP+FSD for $8000. If we passed on it when it was 8k, why would we want to buy it for more than that when our cars are now older and have less lifespan remaining?

EAP=5k, FSD=3k

AP=3k, FSD=5k

AP=2k (included in price of vehicle), FSD=6k