Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Steering Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm seeing a ton of steering wheel weights for FSD on eBay and Amazon. I searched the forum and couldn't find any posts on them (do they work, are they legal, etc.).

If anyone can point me to a thread with some info I'd appreciate it!

Not legal, and a ridiculously bad idea. The nitwits that have used one and crash their car cause grief for ALL of us ... when the Congresscritters come along and insist the system is unsafe.

...a ton of steering wheel weights for FSD...

For a foreseeable, Tesla FSD monitoring system is dependent on your ability to physically feel the torque so you can intervene seamlessly, instantaneously.

If your hand is not physically feeling how the automation steering is doing, by the time you realize that it is not steering the way you want, it might be too late to move your hands back to grab the steering wheel.

Using weight to defeat the monitoring system is asking for trouble.

Three reasons it is a very bad idea:
1) Defeating the monitoring system increases your risk of an accident
2) Anything attached to the steering wheel might become shrapnel when the airbag goes off
3) After an accident, that you had used said device increases your risk of liability

I actually find the use of the steering weight as "necessary" and here is why. From delivery day and several weeks after, I kept getting the message to apply force...but...I was! My hand was on the wheel, slightly pulling it depending on the placement and yet the nagging message kept popping up. Another owner suggested I get one and that it would solve the problem...and it did. I hardly notice that it is on the steering wheel and with my left hand on the wheel, I no longer get the warning message and I feel as if I am actually more attentive than dealing with the popup messages.

Someone mentioned airbag deployment issues and I would argue it isn't in the way and likely not going interfere. The model I have uses two very sturdy magnets that are aluminum welded, not glued. I am sure the forces in a sever accident may cause the unit to separate but given the location, I doubt it will do anything to obstruct the safety systems. Pretty sure other junk, mobile phone, water tumbler, etc. will do more harm...just saying.

Use it in an "assisted" manner while still having one hand on the wheel.

Totally illegal. Not recommended. Works as intended; well 95%+ of the times. Can be had for $25-35 these days from China. Can be made obsolete by Tesla with a simple software update.

Oh. maybe the same software update to fix the dozens of other broke items too? As for the legality, the device itself is not "illegal" and the use of it while maintaining direct control of the vehicle is also not illegal. There are plenty of individuals who have endorsements on their drivers license that require the vehicle they drive to have a "spinner", "control arm", etc. Now, if someone wants to be that person not directly in control of their vehicle, then sure, they are breaking the law.

But back to software updates...... lol

Reactions: Draginol
Hi guys,

I'm seeing a ton of steering wheel weights for FSD on eBay and Amazon. I searched the forum and couldn't find any posts on them (do they work, are they legal, etc.).

If anyone can point me to a thread with some info I'd appreciate it!
I bought one for my 2021 Model 3 off Wish for $20.00+. Worked GREAT! Only problem was, I changed the steering wheel to a yoke, which I LOVE, and the weight doesn’t fit 🤷🏻‍♂️

There was posting on this a year ago. Using them is illegal but that shouldn't be the deterrent.
two things.
1. It should not be allowed to sell them on any legal online shop.
2. I little common sense: Don't be crazy and use one.
J

If you caused an accident, it doesn't matter if you have the weight or not.
If someone else hits you, the weight won't make you at fault.
There is also no official words saying it's illegal to use the weight but you are responsible for what you do, so it doesn't matter if you have it or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and JediJD
If you caused an accident, it doesn't matter if you have the weight or not.

Not entirely true. If you veer off the road and hit something like a median, you could argue that there were mitigating factors at play (bad weather, slippery road surface, etc...). If it's determined that you had the car in AP and were using a device to defeat the built-in safeguards, you are immediately 100% at fault because you were operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner.

As others have said - do they make them? Yes. Do they work? Probably. Should you use them? Absolutely not.

Reactions: croman
The NTSB banned the sale of these weights, and apparently, the retailers agreed (I know you can buy them everywhere.) What Danny said, 100% true, and anyway why does it have to be a law, what the hell is wrong with people.

... (bad weather, slippery road surface, etc...). If it's determined that you had the car in AP and were using a device to defeat the built-in safeguards, you are immediately 100% at fault because you were operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner.
You just paraphrased what I said.
What if your were not on AP but had the weight on steering wheel, would you be liable for the accident?

Now that we've established how rotten, horrible, and uncaring anyone is who uses one, and the risks involved...I've looked all over for one for the yoke, but all I've found is kind of a slinky weighted flexible bar they are selling in China that wraps around the yoke wheel outer edge, sort of like a candy cane stripe...certainly not an elegant look for an elegant car. Anyone seen any better options...for testing and offroad purposes only, of course.

Reactions: cmarshack
Status
Not open for further replies.