Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD: To Buy or Not to Buy--the $7000 question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla sales contract prohibits use of the car in taxi, obviously taxi is going to be Tesla service. Why would Tesla charge you more for FSD allowed for taxi if they can take larger share of taxi fee to themselves instead?

So this whole fsd price increase thing is just a stunt that works and helps collect more cash + somewhat compensates car depreciation.

I can see them doing Tesla Taxi for personal cars. It’ll be a used opt out of current verbiage. They’ll be happy to take a smaller portion on more cars than a larger position on fee cars. But we’re no where near ready.

Agreed the FSD should give some boost to resale of existing cars. But then whenever they push out the million mile battery to new cars that could likely tank existing car values.

Since Tesla sales contract prohibits use of the car in taxi, obviously taxi is going to be Tesla service. Why would Tesla charge you more for FSD allowed for taxi if they can take larger share of taxi fee to themselves instead?

So this whole fsd price increase thing is just a stunt that works and helps collect more cash + somewhat compensates car depreciation.

What? is that something they can do? if I pay cash for a Tesla, they cant tell me what I can and cant do with the car, can they?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I decided to go with FSD. It will be my first Tesla and I want all the new tech I can get. I also heard it may eventually be sold as subscription only.

Even if its $50 a month, it will take you 10+ years to spend $7000 on it.

Now with subscription service you can turn on/off (monthly I assume). So if you dont continually pay for it you will likely spend less over the lifetime of the car for it than $7000. In fact that $7000 taken right now and invested properly will probably yield enough return to make FSD free.

FSD prices going up make this even more true.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Even if its $50 a month, it will take you 10+ years to spend $7000 on it.

Now with subscription service you can turn on/off (monthly I assume). So if you dont continually pay for it you will likely spend less over the lifetime of the car for it than $7000. In fact that $7000 taken right now and invested properly will probably yield enough return to make FSD free.

FSD prices going up make this even more true.

The subscription is not likely to be anywhere near $50/mth. Most people think it will be at least $100, if not more.

Yes, if you know what you’re doing you can break even using subscription instead of upfront purchase.

But putting it on a low interest long term loan also can lead to a similar result. Add to that ownership will provide partial return where subscription does not.

Some people (Not myself) have similar thoughts for lease vs loan. If loan is $200/mth less you could possibly break-even compared to purchase depending on depreciation. If Tesla releases the million mile battery in a year or two that could be big depreciation on these current cars.

Only part of many variables to consider when getting new car.

The subscription is not likely to be anywhere near $50/mth. Most people think it will be at least $100, if not more.

Yes, if you know what you’re doing you can break even using subscription instead of upfront purchase.

But putting it on a low interest long term loan also can lead to a similar result. Add to that ownership will provide partial return where subscription does not.

Some people (Not myself) have similar thoughts for lease vs loan. If loan is $200/mth less you could possibly break-even compared to purchase depending on depreciation. If Tesla releases the million mile battery in a year or two that could be big depreciation on these current cars.

Only part of many variables to consider when getting new car.

fair points all around :)

They could also just enable FSD for every car 10 years from now, since hardware is all there. Or have thanksgiving sales :)