Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple II example only applies to those that bought EAP for $5k. At least they get to play with the feature for a couple of weeks. Although this kind of business practice destroys brand loyalty. I for one will no longer support "pie in the sky" from Elon any more.

For those that pre-paid FSD, I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit coming. It would be a slam dunk!!

Apple II example only applies to those that bought EAP for $5k. At least they get to play with the feature for a couple of weeks. Although this kind of business practice destroys brand loyalty. I for one will no longer support "pie in the sky" from Elon any more.

For those that pre-paid FSD, I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit coming. It would be a slam dunk!!

I don't even consider that example to be really applicable to EAP either. For a long time we had to deal with dead-end development on the simple lanekeeping function. It wasn't until mid-2018 that things started to truly improve, when Karpathy's concepts reached the release builds. And Navigate on Autopilot for sure has not been delivered - released in name only - but it is not a properly functional product.

The way they are handling this situation leaves an extremely bad taste in my mouth as well. I will definitely be considering other manufacturers when it comes time to buy a new car.

Reactions: am_dmd

Yes, keep suing them until all shareholder wealth is transferred to lawyers, Tesla is bankrupt, and car owners get nothing except a cheque for 1/10000 of what they deserve.

You can't but decency. TBH for me (prepaid FSD on order in 12/16) this whole FSD thing, combined with Elon tweeting "We’re trying to make EVs & autonomy more affordable over time. This is the right thing to do. However, we cannot then also retroactively make earlier buyers whole without killing the company."
really leaves any brand loyalty destroyed.
Class action? I'm in!

Elon Musk on Twitter

Class action? I'm in!

If you have ever been a party to a class-action suit, you will realize that the attorneys get nearly all of the money (many $millions), and the parties to the lawsuit get a very modest token amount (in most cases, something on the order of $20 of value; rarely more than $50), usually in the form of a voucher. Class-action suits are really just a form of money transfer from sued company to lawyers, which is why it is generally lawyers who initiate them and advertise for injured parties.

Sounds about as much as Elon said people would receive as reimbursement for the fake AP promises (AP1 parity in 01/17, which took until about 09/18 and still isn't complete). Which I never heard of again after.
The whole thing regarding FSD is less about the price for me, it's about the behaviour of the company.

If you have ever been a party to a class-action suit, you will realize that the attorneys get nearly all of the money (many $millions), and the parties to the lawsuit get a very modest token amount (in most cases, something on the order of $20 of value; rarely more than $50), usually in the form of a voucher. Class-action suits are really just a form of money transfer from sued company to lawyers, which is why it is generally lawyers who initiate them and advertise for injured parties.

I am patiently waiting to see how Tesla / #ElonTweets handles this. I in good faith paid $3,000 over two years ago for FSD. Regulatory approval aside (that may be a pretty big wall to hide behind but who knows) I will hold Tesla accountable for what I was sold and paid for in good faith. On this one I will opt out of a class action lawsuit and take my own action if necessary. If Tesla says "FSD will require a yet undetermined NEW car and sensor suite" then I will sue for that. I am very much against frivolous lawsuits but if Tesla/Elon doesn't come out from behind the curtain soon they will have a real problem on their hands with those of us that paid for FSD HW2 in good faith. It would be so simple to just be upfront and honest IF there is a plan. The silence is what has so many of us concerned.

I was an original AP1 purchaser and the Tesla web-site description of what I paid for and was SUPPOSED to be part of AP1 were magically erased, deleted and lost before I even considered it an issue IF you have been monitoring the Tesla web site the FSD option is now being treated the same as AP1 was when they realized they couldn't do what they sold. This time around I took a multitude of screen shots and pictures of documentation as to what I ACTUALLY paid for and not the bastardized version being displayed now.

What I purchased

7EA93BE4-EA4D-4698-9D77-2677BF371B3B.png
48EE1BE9-6FAF-4337-9844-4B6BC7032349.png
C3620100-AF4D-4A0F-859F-8744577423D0.png
E33CA51F-E277-406C-B0EE-3F84B7EB1E6C.png

What is being advertised now.

4C8AF81F-0E84-4EC4-8E9B-5501D537DD13.png

Last edited:
The autopilot computer (HW1, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, etc) and MCU (center touch screen) have next to nothing to do with each other.

So with my AP 2.0, MCU 1, MS with EAP - honestly what I would want most is a browser that works like it did in v8. I used to use it quite a bit. Doesn't sound like this upgrade would affect browser speed - right?

This just doesn't feel right, even if these so-called FSD features were anything other than vapor-ware.

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay
It will be a lot easier to sell a 2k upgrade to the wife. I hadn't even brought it up with her when the price was 4k (and then 5k) because it's very likely she would have told me to just drive the damn car.
I do feel bad for those that paid for it though...and all the flip flops is hard to keep track of. I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes back up when they are ready to actually release something useful.

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay
I just bought AP+FSD for 5k. I have a 2017 MS HW2.5. Like most folks, not sure FSD is worth it at the moment, but if pricing goes up again I’d kick myself. Also, I wanted some of the original EAP features. Lastly, watching EAP go from 5k to 6k to 7k in my account and EAP+FSD at 11k made it psychologically much easier :)

This is crazy! The original deal was to buy FSD for $3k, or $4k after delivery. In January 2017 I opted to wait.

Not too long ago they raised the price for FSD after delivery to $5k.

Maybe a week ago it was back to $3k.

Now it's $2k? WTF? Make up your minds already! This indecisiveness is pissing people off! What if I agree to $2k now and 2 weeks later it's $1k, or worse....free?

I'm seriously getting concerned about the direction of this company. These are not rational well thought out decisions.

This is crazy! The original deal was to buy FSD for $3k, or $4k after delivery. In January 2017 I opted to wait.

Not too long ago they raised the price for FSD after delivery to $5k.

Maybe a week ago it was back to $3k.

Now it's $2k? WTF? Make up your minds already! This indecisiveness is pissing people off! What if I agree to $2k now and 2 weeks later it's $1k, or worse....free?

I'm seriously getting concerned about the direction of this company. These are not rational well thought out decisions.

To me this just looks like a panic cash grab. That's the only explanation for why they would think to screw over EAP/FSD pre-order customers and fire-sell the (promises of a) product.

Given all that has happened (or not happened...) in the last 2.5 years, I'm surprised there are still people wanting to pay for FSD...

People who thought they were going to deliver this in 2017 (or 2018) got burned. People who thought it is better to buy upfront since it'll cost more to buy as an add-on got burned.

Don't buy unless they have something (anything at all?) to show for it. And I don't mean the "progress" made by moving EAP features to FSD.
If you really believe in Tesla's ability to deliver this product, then you'll be far better buying TSLA stock instead.

Given all that has happened (or not happened...) in the last 2.5 years, I'm surprised there are still people wanting to pay for FSD...

People who thought they were going to deliver this in 2017 (or 2018) got burned. People who thought it is better to buy upfront since it'll cost more to buy as an add-on got burned.

Don't buy unless they have something (anything at all?) to show for it. And I don't mean the "progress" made by moving EAP features to FSD.
If you really believe in Tesla's ability to deliver this product, then you'll be far better buying TSLA stock instead.

Call me a bull but the way I see what has happened in these 2.5 years is "a constant improvement of the drive-assist features". With our payments we are somehow contributing in making those life-saving features everyday better.
The price thing could have been better handled, yes, but come on, Elon is just optimistic. And it's not a lie if you believe it!

We didn't get burned: 1.we'll have our AP upgrade at some point. 2.no other automaker has made anything even by far comparable.

So yes, I'm willing to pay more to help with the development and get the rest of the FSD features into my car, I see nothing wrong with this.

Concerning the TSLA stock.. check.

Call me a bull but the way I see what has happened in these 2.5 years is "a constant improvement of the drive-assist features". With our payments we are somehow contributing in making those life-saving features everyday better.
The price thing could have been better handled, yes, but come on, Elon is just optimistic. And it's not a lie if you believe it!

Constant improvement in level 2-3 tech, not level 5. The difficulty will get much harder. Even if the tech is ready, the regulations might take *years*. More importantly, there just isn't anything to show for FSD at the moment, regardless of the progress, so why pay for it? It's already clear that pre-paying does not pay. Where's the AP3 hardware? Where's the coast-to-coast drive? (NOA doesn't count, because that was originally an EAP feature. And it's still not available outside North America.)
I would pay for EAP, but not FSD.

We didn't get burned: 1.we'll have our AP upgrade at some point. 2.no other automaker has made anything even by far comparable.

I've said before, and I believe even more strongly now, that most AP2 original owners will never see their car get FSD. By the time everything is ready, it's time for a new car. Some 2016 owners will see the end of their lease this year. Those people paid for something that they never got to use. Obviously, it is probably more realistic for a car purchased today, or (optimistically) in a few months with AP3 to see FSD realized. But I wouldn't bet on it. The tech is really hard. (Look at how the competitors are doing, with more sophisticated hardware?) And the regulations question is a bottomless pit.

So yes, I'm willing to pay more to help with the development and get the rest of the FSD features into my car, I see nothing wrong with this.

Concerning the TSLA stock.. check.
If I am helping them with development, I should not be paying thousands of dollars for it.