Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD V11 Discussion - First Released 11/11/22 at 11:11PM - Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note: Added maybe to the title. This may be an alpha or beta release, so “release” is relative. Stay tuned.)

We finally have confirmation of the release of FSD V11. This presumably is single stack; we’ll see, as the question was left unanswered. I guess it will still be called FSD Beta V11?

002905FC-FC4B-4346-9970-AF2BA0758CE4.jpeg

🤯 ( 🔥 )

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning I caught a Youtube of Kim Paquett (sp) of the 2022.40.5. (moderator note: user corrects this later) I went to look at it again and it is now gone. I must say what I saw was very impressive of the new capability, still had some minor issues (one road for some unknown reason it kept ping ponging back and forth other roads that were just as tight with cars on the side it had no problem with), compared to the previous release 2022.20.19. If this is really what we will be getting, I am impressed. Many of the problems we are having with turns at stop signs appear to be fixed. She didn't do summon or highway, just her standard run. Vast improvement. Very impressive. Not sure why it was taken down. Couldn't tell for certain if stopping was more human like, appeared it was but it was a video.

Did anyone else happen to catch the video this morning. I think there may have even others, but now there are none.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: powertoold
[speculation]There won't be FSD Beta specific software stack for freeways. It will just be the same FSD Beta stack extended to work on all roads. Also what do you mean by "...no idea when to change lanes"? Deciding to change lanes is the SAME as FSD Beta driving today. If it needs a person to decide when to change lanes then it's NOT FULL self driving. I bet Tesla removes all legacy AP/NoA code and the same FSD Beta stack will continue operating on all roads. There will be NO Stack Switching, FSD Beta will not discriminate road vs highway and all driving will be treated the same.
Why would it change? So there is not an unpopular behavior change?

Anyway they don’t need to run a different stack. Not sure what that has to do with all the NOA options. Completely unrelated. Just options.

It’s not like the car won’t know when the options apply!

Again there is no option for lane change confirmation in Beta. Why would this change?
Well because it's very, very bad at it today? And much more so compared to Nav on AP? If we go to single stack and freeway lane selection becomes more "FSD-like", there will likely be a lot more disengagements. And maybe that's OK.

My guess is that history will repeat itself. We get a single stack that is significantly worse than AP today. We all complain and compare to the good good days. Then in 6 to 8 months, the FSD on Freeways will achieve rough but similar functionally compared to AP today. Only then will we see much progress for freeway FSD.

Reactions: Acisplat
Well because it's very, very bad at it today? And much more so compared to Nav on AP? If we go to single stack and freeway lane selection becomes more "FSD-like", there will likely be a lot more disengagements. And maybe that's OK.

My guess is that history will repeat itself. We get a single stack that is significantly worse than AP today. We all complain and compare to the good good days. Then in 6 to 8 months, the FSD on Freeways will achieve rough but similar functionally compared to AP today. Only then will we see much progress for freeway FSD.
I don't dissagre that it will add problems BUT just look at what the release notes say. Unified on and off means the same for both. It sure sounds like we are getting the Beta stack, it will be the same as we have now and all AP legacy code will be removed.

"This unifies the vision and planning stack on and off-highway and replaces the legacy highway stack"

Reactions: DarkForest
So, do you thin the NOA button will be gone?
I bet so since it will be FULL Self Driving (Beta) and NOT NoA. It can't be Full Self Driving if you have to confirm lane changes.

EDIT: Just to add Tesla is a lot like Apple. They will taketh away in a heartbeat (radar/US) if they believe it goes with their vision. And Full Self Driving is the vision. I bet NoA was just a crutch in Tesla eyes.

Reactions: DarkForest
Odd that some ppl here seem to think they have v11, I would guess 40.5, and yet there is NOTHING on Teslaif or TS.. usually we see at least a few, half-dozen users on one of those platforms with the latest release prior to a TWC contributor?
Musk Tweeted that V11 would be a "few weeks" of internal testing and then a "few weeks" of slow rollout. So it will be a while before the influencers even get it.

EDIT: Here is the Tweet and my phrasing off memory was little wrong but the point is correct.

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 5.08.55 PM.png

Reactions: Matias
Musk Tweeted that V11 would be a "few weeks" of internal testing and then a "few weeks" of slow rollout. So it will be a while before the influencers even get it.

EDIT: Here is the Tweet and my phrasing off memory was little wrong but the point is correct.

View attachment 873982
So, do you think that internal testers are posting here on TWC about V11? Something tells me that would be Verboten.

Could the full stack be lots of logical layers, and stack convergence starts with say just the image processing and building the contextual map of the surroundings? You might still be able to use that as the base for highway and city driving engines for subsequent processing without mashing together a driving engine expected to do both.

That contextual map of the surroundings is also what’s needed for USS replacement. Nail that and a lot of things start to spin off, auto park, summon, even matrix lights, without delving into the extra complexity of city streets.

Again there is no option for lane change confirmation in Beta. Why would this change?
Because there's a ton of Tesla drivers that have been doing it for years?
I'd assume there's more granular options or a transitionary period to teach legacy autopilot drivers to let the car do everything on its own.
Some people will never be comfortable with FULL self-driving and I'd assume Tesla would give them an option to use it as an assistance system instead, the same way you can toggle on many features on production firmware.

Even FSD gives you Chill, Average, and Assertive options, and it would be really easy for Chill mode to be more of an assistance mode than full self-driving once it hits production firmware.

I guess save to assume for those who are still waiting to get in to FSDb might as well forget it since this would be MUCH later the communicated roll out to ALL who own FSDb regardless of safety score. My guess perhaps by Mid December at the earliest. Bye Bye Safety score...you won't be missed.

If there's no option for lane change confirmation on freeway anymore, I hope they've solved the route planning in FSD beta because most of my disengagements are when the car changes lanes for no reason when it has a turn up ahead.

There sort of is a confirmation actually. More like a momentary right of refusal. If you hit the NoA button while using FSDb on surface streets, it will subsequently warn you whenever it's about to change lanes using a little blue box above the nav directions (just like NoA on the highway). You can do the standard thing where you tap the box to cancel the lane change.