Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The team got their marching orders to try again. This is getting a little ridiculous. :)

Screenshot 2024-04-08 130217.png

Driving in Cali here. 12.3 Supervised has been a pretty solid pain in the ass almost everywhere I drive now. Deceleration is usually too early and too hard, and has the car creeping up to whatever stop in a very inhuman and obnoxiously slow way. Any pressure on the accelerator to override this behavior seems to fix it immediately, but it's annoying every time. It hesitates during lane changes and gives up half the time. It nearly changed lanes into someone yesterday, which is the first time I've seen anything like that in 10 months of using FSD daily. I've started opting to drive manually. Can't wait for an update.

Driving in Cali here. 12.3 Supervised has been a pretty solid pain in the ass almost everywhere I drive now. Deceleration is usually too early and too hard, and has the car creeping up to whatever stop in a very inhuman and obnoxiously slow way. Any pressure on the accelerator to override this behavior seems to fix it immediately, but it's annoying every time. It hesitates during lane changes and gives up half the time. It nearly changed lanes into someone yesterday, which is the first time I've seen anything like that in 10 months of using FSD daily. I've started opting to drive manually. Can't wait for an update.
It’s been great here in TX

12.4 when?
Still MIA from <>30% who are on 24.8.x. This likely needs to be addressed first. I suspect mid to late April at the earliest. I know Elon promised a speeder update schedule (but what is an Elon timeline promise worth 🤔 🤣) and it does sound plausible with the NN training BUT until proved otherwise I say it will probably chug along at near the same near pace glacial pace as v11. Oddly when we first got v10.2 the updates (if I remember correctly :rolleyes:) happened about every 2 to 4 weeks.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Elon does like to spread his seed, but seems like a strange way to get out frustration with a left turn.

On the other hand it is unprotected so conception does make sense. 🤷‍♂️
Elon is an eccentrically strange person. 🤣 🤣 Damn this iPhone and auto correct.......and my dyslexic dumb a$$......correction my dyslexic dumb 🧠. My a$$ is actually kinda smart.;)😂...at least as compared to my brain. Need me some AI transplant/infusion. :oops:

• Funny
Switch back to TACC instead of simply rolling up the speed? How curious.
Yes, it wasn't slowing down fast enough either and the police are patrolling heavily, which I think is a good thing. And these roads are not limited access either. People are doing quick motions too close to the freeway that freaks out FSD (and me sometimes too). So FSD was a nervous wreck, so enough was enough.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
The team got their marching orders to try again. This is getting a little ridiculous. :)

View attachment 1036779
It seems like cheating that they are training specifically on Chuck's UPL. They know that Chuck will post about the progress at that corner, so they are training specifically for the test.

It's a little bit like VW designing the cars to perform well when the environmental tests are performed. Just a little bit.

Am I misunderstanding?

It seems like cheating that they are training specifically on Chuck's UPL. They know that Chuck will post about the progress at that corner, so they are training specifically for the test.

It's a little bit like VW designing the cars to perform well when the environmental tests are performed. Just a little bit.

Am I misunderstanding?
Until they are successful and essentially never have failures on Chuck’s turn, this seems like a nonissue. Overfitting is fine.

But they are nowhere close yet. Hopefully all the progress will happen at once.

Right now stopping in the middle of the road is undesirable. I’ve noticed that too. It is disconcerting to just come to a near halt in traffic lanes. Obviously just gun it out of there if needed - it’s a nonissue as well. But not great even for a driver assist.

Reactions: RabidYak

Am I misunderstanding?
Elon is completely humiliated, incensed and O'Dowd is crawling under his skin. He will spend whatever it takes to feel vindicated. So expect to see an army of Teslas day after day fighting that ULT.

EDIT: Just to add there is a chance we will NOT see 12.4.x until the engineers feel confident Chuck can make the UPLs without fail.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 7.02.33 PM.png

Last edited:
It's an interesting problem. The rear facing repeaters seem to stay clean, but they are facing backwards.

View attachment 1036710

I wonder whether a well-designed housing could keep side-facing front cameras clean. Once you add a cleaning system, it could get too expensive for Elon to stomach.
If an additional camera is built into each headlight assembly and facing perpendicular to the driving direction, it should be possible to keep them clear without wipers.

Reactions: PianoAl
Am I misunderstanding?
It's very probably not training, but testing, along with data collection of the outputs of the control network for the many different scenarios that they'll face at that turn. There's no point in overtraining for Chuck's turn because that would compromise the system's ability to handle other UPL geometries.

Tesla may have a bunch of teams like that, testing all manner of scenarios. We just happen to know about Chuck's.

There was a posting earlier (I think on this thread) that in the absence of a route, you could direct the car's turning behavior at a stop sign by holding the turn signal down in the direction you want the car to turn.

I tried doing this today. In my neighborhood, I picked a Tee intersection and first approached the stop sign on FSD with no route. Without touching the turn signal, the car, as expected, turned right.

I repeated the test by holding the turn signal down to try to force a left turn. I activated the turn signal before the car turned on the signal on it's own so that I would not be competing with a decision already made. The left turn signal remained on and the car ignored it and made a perfect right turn.

So, unless there's some secret to doing this, I find that using the turn signal to cause the car to turn one way or the other to be not a thing. That is, unless you want to turn in the direction it wants to go.