Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far FSDS doesn't recognize bar gates without lights, but will slow down/stop for bar gates with lights. It can sometimes navigate out of this hospital's parking garage about 70% of the time, including fully stopping and then going for the bar gate with zero interventions. The other 30% of failure is due to making an incorrect turn and getting stuck before hitting a wall.

It however have navigated out of the top floor of the parking garage at universal studios(1/1). Have to try again later for consistency.

Another challenge I threw at it was a zero intervention drive to home from the Magic kingdom parking lot during park closure. It has fully completed the task yesterday with just 1 accelerator press at a stop sign due to hesitation. First time ever it has done this, also first time it has reached Magic Kingdom parking lot from home with zero disengagement(but had areas with speed issues).

That stop sign isn't mapped. I have a stop sign that's put in a few months ago and my car would slam on the brakes vs gradual slowing like other stop signs. The system performs poorer the more the car goes above the speed limit.
Are you saying that Tesla relies on maps to function? ;)

That doesn't sound safe nor scalable? What about temprorary signs and signals?

Reactions: DrGriz
The map data is linked online to a central server and it gets updated constantly. The car would never get into the correct lane for months until one day it does and will consistently do it without any official ota. This tells me it has nothing to do with the fsd software downloaded into the car.
Yes - but the question is why doesn’t Tesla get crowd sourced extra metadata like MobilEye does.

Are you saying that Tesla relies on maps to function? ;)

That doesn't sound safe nor scalable? What about temprary signs and signals?
There are lots of "training wheels" Tesla put into place and map being the biggest. It still currently overwrites many of the things FSD would want to do. However like I said, if the Tesla wasn't going 7mph over the speed limit, the car would most likely stopped (uncomfortably). No Waymo goes above the speed limit and for good reason.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
There are lots of "training wheels" Tesla put into place and map being the biggest. It still currently overwrites many of the things FSD would want to do. However like I said, if the Tesla wasn't going 7mph over the speed limit, the car would most likely stopped (uncomfortably). No Waymo goes above the speed limit and for good reason.
If this was a discussion about Waymo, people would go "lol maps". Just saying. Waymo uses maps for added safety and reliability. It's easy to remove them at some point around 2060.

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
Yes - but the question is why doesn’t Tesla get crowd sourced extra metadata like MobilEye does.
Musk wants to use as little map data as possible (as the goal per his statement) even though map data currently dictates what FSD has to do. I do feel V11 follows map data way more stricter than V12. So I'll be curious to see if V12 hwy will fix some of the missed turns. Perhaps this is why they are not bothering pouring resources into mapdata sourcing? Who knows, maybe they will find that stupid and change directions, or V14 no longer need map data.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
what does the sign below it say? Plus it seems the road straight ahead has a Stop sign meaning the road to the right has the right of way So if going right why would you stop
Given that 12.3.4 initially followed the road to the right, it seems to have understood that it didn't need to stop:
stop except right.jpg

But then it realized navigation says to go left/straight, and I suppose by that point, it was already past the stop sign?

If this was a discussion about Waymo, people would go "lol maps". Just saying. Waymo uses maps for added safety and reliability. It's easy to remove them at some point around 2060.
Tesla doesn't need the "added safety and reliability" because that's the job of the people supervising. I think people are confused that the goal of the consumer car is to help them build a robotaxi eventually while giving people a good L2 ADAS system. So people complaining about a lack of camera wipers or whatever is missing the point. The robotaxi will have all the redundancy/camera wipers/ etc etc. Our current cars will not cover all scenarios because it's not meant to be robotaxies.

Given that 12.3.4 initially followed the road to the right, it seems to have understood that it didn't need to stop:
View attachment 1037821

But then it realized navigation says to go left/straight, and I suppose by that point, it was already past the stop sign?
Then you are saying it's coded into the map to ignore the stop sign because the car cannot read "except right turn". If it sees a stop sign on the right hand side, it'll slam on the brake (unless going to fast and it doesn't have enough time to process).

I didn't notice this before. It looks like all my FSD strikes got deleted around the time the FSD demo was rolled out. I got a strike today out of the blue, and when I checked the FSD screen later, I saw the note that FSD had been disabled once, while I'm pretty sure this strike would've been the 4th.

Tesla doesn't need the "added safety and reliability" because that's the job of the people supervising. I think people are confused that the goal of the consumer car is to help them build a robotaxi eventually while giving people a good L2 ADAS system. So people complaining about a lack of camera wipers or whatever is missing the point. The robotaxi will have all the redundancy/camera wipers/ etc etc. Our current cars will not cover all scenarios because it's not meant to be robotaxies.
That's silly. Of course they use them for improved safety and performance/reliability. What do you think they use them for if not that?

Tesla uses detailed maps with plenty of metadata for signs, speeds and such.

That's silly. Of course they use them for improved safety and performance/reliability. What do you think they use them for if not that?
Our current car lacks a lot of redundancies which are most likely required for full autonomous driving. People also pointed out there's a lack of camera wipers. Many things are required to be added onto the car being revealed on 8/8 vs what we have today for the sake of safety and performance without a driver. The bar becomes a lot higher if a driver is not meant to be in the driver seat unlike our cars. So yeah, knightshade will point out that the cars we buy today are no longer worded to be any kind of robotaxis which means Tesla can cut a lot of corners using us supervisors as clutch.

Reactions: old pilot
Our current car lacks a lot of redundancies which are most likely required for full autonomous driving. People also pointed out there's a lack of camera wipers. Many things are required to be added onto the car being revealed on 8/8 vs what we have today for the sake of safety and performance without a driver. The bar becomes a lot higher if a driver is not meant to be in the driver seat unlike our cars. So yeah, knightshade will point out that the cars we buy today are no longer worded to be any kind of robotaxis which means Tesla can cut a lot of corners using us supervisors as clutch.
I don't disagree with any of that, but you aren't answering the question.

Let me answer it for you: Maps give the impression of better performance than what your CV-solution can deliver when the map is correct.

I don't disagree with any of that, but you aren't answering the question.

Let me answer it for you: Maps give the impression of better performance than what your CV-solution can deliver when the map is correct.
Uhh yes? Didn't I talked about this already a few pages back?

Reactions: spacecoin