Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes at around 6-6.5 seconds, 1.5 seconds after cut-in detection, during which there was significant acceleration.

View attachment 1061665

Yeah that would have been appropriate. Doesn’t seem that difficult.

Completely typical for FSD of course in current form, as evidenced by basically everyone posting here with similar experiences.
Woah, "completely typical" is a bold statement. Again, I've never experienced this, as my car brakes when cars/trucks have cut out in front of me, admittedly late and usually quite hard of a brake. I have my foot over the brake pedal and am ready to intervene, but so far have not had to. The sample size on TMC is way too small to make concrete conclusions about "typical" behavior. I'm just urging caution when making broad statements. :)

, as my car brakes when cars/trucks have cut out in front of me, admittedly late and usually quite hard of a brake.
That’s what I mean by typical.

I didn’t mean to imply just charging at a truck with no sign of stopping was typical. Usually eventually it responds to actual massive obstacles. Usually. I would not say the overall response taken as a whole here was typical.

I would expect charging at the truck, followed by unpleasant braking. The second part did not happen here. I don’t really understand why there was no response.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewg
That’s what I mean by typical.

I didn’t mean to imply just charging at a truck with no sign of stopping was typical. Usually eventually it responds to actual massive obstacles. Usually. I would not say the overall response taken as a whole here was typical.

I would expect charging at the truck, followed by unpleasant braking. The second part did not happen here. I don’t really understand why there was no response.
Thanks for clarifying - it seemed you were making a statement that FSDS would typically just run into the cutting car/truck without intervention, which would be alarming to someone investigating FSDS for a future purchase.

probably because you had it distracted by asking for a lane change ?
I think I saw steam coming from the glove compartment, now that you mention it.

Seriously: In my experience FSD seems perfectly capable of ignoring user lane change requests. Anyway seems like a bug if that request had anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Seriously: In my experience FSD seems perfectly capable of ignoring user lane change requests. Anyway seems like a bug if that request had anything to do with it.
It might be capable of ignoring but does it ignore? We don't know. All we know is that lane changes, even when requested, are not done immediately. That means that it has to take time off from what it has already planned, and then identify the safety risk that is imposed by the drivers request to change lane, while continuing to move forward. That is a big ask.

That is my proprietary property (is that redundant?). 🤔 Do you have ANY idea how many seconds of my life were spent slaving over Dall-E to render that work? My time is INVALUABLE and worth at least 2¢ per second (so is that mean it is valuable?) 🤔 🤣 . I estimate I spent at least 11 seconds of hard sweaty work on it. So you need to pay up 22¢ or I WILL sue. I will have an iron clad case (I will call LSDtester#1 as a characterless witness🤪) and will not settle for less then $6.78. So pay 22¢ now or prepare for Judge Judy.

View attachment 1061668
You forgot my fees. And if you have to ask, you can’t afford me.

It might be capable of ignoring but does it ignore? We don't know. All we know is that lane changes, even when requested, are not done immediately. That means that it has to take time off from what it has already planned, and then identify the safety risk that is imposed by the drivers request to change lane, while continuing to move forward. That is a big ask.
if it takes that long to process stuff then it would never make it through any junction. It doesn't take multiple seconds to decide safety.
When impending impact or other traffic isn't an issue I will allow FSD to do really stupid stuff, which it does quite repeatably. Last one was to incorrectly move into a left exit lane then continue straight, expect now its on the wrong side of double yellow line. It continues to drive there, completely oblivious, but happy alerted me when I intervened and directed it back over the double yellow lines onto the correct side of the road.
Its not taking time off for anything, its just making fast but stupid choices ;)

Woah, "completely typical" is a bold statement. Again, I've never experienced this, as my car brakes when cars/trucks have cut out in front of me, admittedly late and usually quite hard of a brake. I have my foot over the brake pedal and am ready to intervene, but so far have not had to. The sample size on TMC is way too small to make concrete conclusions about "typical" behavior. I'm just urging caution when making broad statements. :)
Remember, for Alan it’s ‘completely typical’ for the car to oscillate between locking up the brakes and free coasting as it comes to a stop 500’ before a stop sign.

Nope. You are asking it to do something while it is planning its next moves. That is ridiculous behavior on your behalf.
I've not seen FSD react immediately to a blinker lever lane change request. I have not timed it, but on freeways, (revert to V11 we are told) it is around 5 seconds delay even when no traffic is in the destination lane. When there is a car there, it waits, blinking merrily along, perhaps accelerating or decelerating into an open space. It never proceeds if it is unsafe to do so.

The idea that "distracting" FSD might be a cause of error is, uh, not exactly credible. Frankly, as someone who signed up to test and report, I think seeing how it responds to various inputs is our job. For example, if we direct a lane change into a turn only lane when nav says to go straight, what does it do. I don't think that trying this would be ridiculous. And if it did do the wrong thing, disengagement and reporting would be what I should do.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
The idea that "distracting" FSD might be a cause of error is, uh, not exactly credible.
Oh really?

Just because you signed up for FSD does not mean it is your slave. It's top priority is safety. It will not obey your command without validating the safety/risk associated with it. If you want to change lanes, you take over the steering wheel, and turn it yourself.

Looks like you have no experience in the world of automation.

Oh really?

Just because you signed up for FSD does not mean it is your slave. It's top priority is safety. It will not obey your command without validating the safety/risk associated with it. If you want to change lanes, you take over the steering wheel, and turn it yourself.

Looks like you have no experience in the world of automation.
I am sorry, this automated response is to inform you that the person you quoted has disengaged.

Again, please don’t blame the victim. The car is quite able to handle user input. I was not pressing the accelerator or anything.

In any case it wasn’t really appropriate to accelerate. (I did, quickly, after evaluating whether he was going to move into #1 lane.)
You're the victim like I am a sane, sober, and moral person who has no time on their hands to be doing any foolish behavior.

• Funny
Reactions: JHCCAZ
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life