Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fun with voice recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
So I was driving alone and started having a conversation with the Tesla as usual (hey who doesn't), but today she has a real hard time understanding me. These are 100% real:

"Play Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia"
"Pen discourse at the Bellagio"

Uhh... Not exactly what I had in mind, but I can see how you made that mistake...

Let's try again, shall we?

"Play Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia"
"Soccer Austin"

What?? How...??? Ok, now you're just messing with me! Let's try one last time:

"Play Hariprasad Chaurasia"
"Honey for sore throat nausea"

I give up...

"Navigate to Sumas"
"Sue me."

Haha!

Kids or sensitive eyes, look away--but this is a true story:

The other day my wife requested "Hit Em Up" by 2Pac. She isn't very practiced on the voice recognition. The Slacker search came up as "Hit Em Up by 2 *****".

Wife and I had a little chuckle over that one!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I try to call up "The Bitch is Back" by Elton John, the display shows "The B**** is back" with no results found. I have to use the keypad to backspace over the asterisks and type it out, then it'll find and play the song!

Wait, your cars actually try to interpret what you say after "Play" (though somewhat badly, it would appear)? Mine just pops up a blank search box for me to type in manually no matter what I say so I stopped using it altogether. I need to do some more testing and see what's going on here.

Last edited:
Wait, your cars actually try to interpret what you say after "Play" (though somewhat badly, it would appear)? Mine just pops up a blank search box for me to type in manually no matter what I say so I stopped using it altogether.

Mine was poor at first, so I mentioned it on a service visit and Tesla replaced "both" microphones. I guess there are two beneath that grill above the mirror. It seems to be a lot better now.

Mine was poor at first, so I mentioned it on a service visit and Tesla replaced "both" microphones. I guess there are two beneath that grill above the mirror. It seems to be a lot better now.
I had really bad performance out of my microphone (essentially inaudible voice above 40mph), but service said I already had the latest version and couldn't reproduce the issue. They added some sound-deadening and while I haven't done much testing yet it seems like the Bluetooth performance got better, but it still wouldn't search for music for me. Time to go talk to my car... "for science."

My wife and I considered giving Priscilla a pack of Q-tips and an ear syringe, but that got us nowhere. Now we e-nun-ci-ate more carefully, and get ready to pull an M. Knox and type in our request for her to play Ornella Vanoni, or whomever.

She does​ have an interesting taste in navigational destinations as well, hasn't she?!?!