Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD meets sprinkler pipe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend pushed the door button the wrong way and the right FWD, which had only opened partially due to being inside a garage, opened the rest of the way. Ignore the flash reflection on the bottom and also the very top of the mark. This is on top most part of the door. It's about an inch long.

There's definitely a mark in the paint but I'm thinking the color is from rust on the pipe that I can clean up to be less noticeable.

You can't live in a major city without dings and scratches so this is just the first. My friend is still my friend.

IMG_0053a.jpg

Anytime the FWD opens in a new, low environment I always make it my business to have a hand above the door in case it doesn't stop. In my case the door was already open and my friend was going to close it. So I wasn't paying attention.

I think if you are quick enough to double click the fob door, it would reverse the door.

I already have 2 scratches on the top edge of my FWD. Both are from my own garage door.

Both times happened when the FWD door opened too little, so I closed it and opened it again. Apparently when you close it and open it immediately, it just seems to have ignored any sensor reading and attempted to open all the way up. I could barely stop it because the opening force was pretty big. So yes now there are two scratches showing the aluminum. You can't even get buy the midnight silver touch up paint. Sigh.

Anytime the FWD opens in a new, low environment I always make it my business to have a hand above the door in case it doesn't stop. In my case the door was already open and my friend was going to close it. So I wasn't paying attention.

I think if you are quick enough to double click the fob door, it would reverse the door.
Unfortunately, although I can master the the rear switches for the falcon wing doors (because Ive watched countless space films and have certain pilot certifications) , almost all of our passengers from all backgrounds struggle with using them to open or close the doors. I've had friends pressing very hard on the air vents instead of these switches actually... It's a shame. I'm glad you shared this experience as I will try to teach passengers how to utilize them before our trips, however... my mother in law stayed with us for 3 weeks... she still had trouble in week 3...

Unfortunately, although I can master the the rear switches for the falcon wing doors (because Ive watched countless space films and have certain pilot certifications) , almost all of our passengers from all backgrounds struggle with using them to open or close the doors. I've had friends pressing very hard on the air vents instead of these switches actually... It's a shame. I'm glad you shared this experience as I will try to teach passengers how to utilize them before our trips, however... my mother in law stayed with us for 3 weeks... she still had trouble in week 3...

Yes indeed. Most people just sit and wait for me to open and close the doors for them. There's nothing intuitive about those controls.

Yes indeed. Most people just sit and wait for me to open and close the doors for them. There's nothing intuitive about those controls.
After a friend in the back seat opened a FWD when I told him not to (resulting in a similar scratch from an overhead sprinkler head), I disabled the door controls in the second row. People back there just have to wait for me to let them out!

Not really at "particular height". You can either leave it auto or "always open fully at this location". Mine is set to the latter which still uses sensors and won't blindly open fully (supposedly, but I found a bug that makes it ignore the sensor as stated above). I had to do this because it's the only way my FWDs and liftgate can open fully on the driveway outside the garage.

FWIW this kind of damage is a comprehensive claim so it should come with a more reasonable deductible and also won't negatively impact your premium rating in many states or impact it a lot in states that don't have regulations around rating.

My friend pushed the door button the wrong way and the right FWD, which had only opened partially due to being inside a garage, opened the rest of the way. Ignore the flash reflection on the bottom and also the very top of the mark. This is on top most part of the door. It's about an inch long.

So the (same as closing) switch can be used to override a sensor-stopped falcon wing and it will open the full way?

That seems like a troublesome design decision to me.

Reactions: gabeincal