TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GAP Insurance Options

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cyclone, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Anyone have an idea on where I can get a GAP policy? I was not told this at the beginning of the process, but when they were processing my paperwork for the GAP coverage, they found this little tidbit...

2. smilepak

smilepak Member

Interesting, I was told the lease agreement come with GAP insurance for Tesla.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I purchased using outside financing. Though, generally speaking, leases are priced with GAP coverage built-in.

4. smilepak

smilepak Member

Ah, for outside financing...

I had called my insurance company Ameriprise and they offer purchase of GAP insurance for $42.00 per year in addition to the car insurance rate.

What insurance do you have?

5. travwill

travwill Member

Most financing places do offer it. But, most insurance companies do also, they just usually know the car type already and ask when purchased if you do want it. It is usually cheaper to go with your insurance company, then drop it when you don't need it. E.g. for ours it is like $10 or so for 6 months worth of GAP. If bought through financing it is like $399 for the duration of loan - works out to be more. Go with insurance approach (if you use a reputable insurance company).

-T

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I have Traveler's (of NC) through an independent agent. I will have to give them a call. I know when I bought the car, we tried a couple different "values" for the car and they all came back with the same price, so she went with the highest one - the valuation my lender used. Makes me wonder if she processed the Model S as a stated value policy.

7. vvanders

vvanders Member

+1 for Traveler's we're using them. They have a new-car replacement policy which is much better than GAP coverage.

With GAP you still eat the depreciation when you drive it off the lot.