Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you not willing to shell out $300 for the Homelink add on .... is there a WIFI alternative I can install that will interact with my existing garage door opener and sense my car approaching and auto open/close or allow me to use voice commands to accomplish the same thing. I see many options however want to know what others are using and just order it

For those of you not willing to shell out $300 for the Homelink add on .... is there a WIFI alternative I can install that will interact with my existing garage door opener and sense my car approaching and auto open/close or allow me to use voice commands to accomplish the same thing. I see many options however want to know what others are using and just order it
You can get a MyQ hub for about $30: Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Hub by Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301 - The Home Depot It was actually on sale recently and I got one for my mom for $17.

Since we have Homelink, I haven't researched to see if it natively handles auto open/close but you could pair it with Tasker or a similar app to handle that.

I have the armrest storage that goes in the top of the armrest. I clip my opener on the inside of the armrest in that. Then when I get home I just pop it up and hit the button.
I have home assistant and an arduino programmed to control my garage doors, but google assistant takes forever to perform the action so I decided to go the "dumb" route. I'm working on an automation, but in my experience location based automations are a pain and don't work exactly how I want them to.

Perhaps convenient to auto open and close based in proximity, but there are many times I don’t want it to open or close.

I also have myQ - also on my phone as well, but I spent the extra $12 for a second remote control that is clipped to my drivers door pocket.

It’s pretty foolproof, very economical & when it messes up - I can only blame myself.

Some things are meant to be manual.

I have MyQ and it says it works with EVE for Tesla... EVE for Tesla
Anybody has some more details?
I looked into this not too long ago as I also have MyQ. The EVE service that allows garage door automation is a subscription service for $3.99/month. Hard pass for me. I just use the old school garage door clicker clipped to the visor. It works 100% of the time, all the time. No phantom opening or closing, no bugs or issues.

I have MyQ and it says it works with EVE for Tesla... EVE for Tesla
Anybody has some more details?

I would highly recommend not using EVE, I had the same thoughts for using it but when it would not auto open/close, I decided to cancel.... I tried to cancel in June and never heard anything from them. I finally had to go to Amex and have them block EVE from charging my card and do you know still to this day, they still charge my card every month and I have to contact Amex to reverse the charge, they are not sure how the payments are getting through their block. Stay far away from that company

I have Homelink on the Model S and use it. But, there have been many times I wished I had the garage remote in the car as I often tap it more than once due to some delays and it ends up and then closing. The Model S has a small pocket at the front of the seat that would work perfectly for hiding the remote, and allow for easy access. I will have to check the Model Y to see if there is a small seat pocket at the front.

A small Flic button hidden in your car using your phone app would also work very well.

Reactions: CO_MY
I would highly recommend not using EVE, I had the same thoughts for using it but when it would not auto open/close, I decided to cancel.... I tried to cancel in June and never heard anything from them. I finally had to go to Amex and have them block EVE from charging my card and do you know still to this day, they still charge my card every month and I have to contact Amex to reverse the charge, they are not sure how the payments are getting through their block. Stay far away from that company

Same here EVE did not work that well for me. I had a similar experience with EVE customer support, I was being charged even though I cancelled it way before the end of the trial period. I left them a few nastygrams and finally the charges were reversed.

Reactions: Der Kaiser