Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking my Hawaii company if I got the "good batch" , hahaha. or asking to pay and wait for version 2.. I'll report back what they say about status

I think the main problem was coronavirus hit right when they were ramping these up slowly, in my opinion, so were about 2 months behind where Tesla should have been??

here's their reply:

I have requested a gateway 2 for your job and it will not cost you anything extra. We expect the new gateways to be in mid July so your install will likely be end of July. " keep in mind in Hawaii so I'm sure everything is slow boat over ( 2+ weeks )

Last edited:
I received confirmation today from my solar company here in so Cali they are receiving about 120qt Gateway 2. Since my gateway one needs to be replaced they can't get the electronics for the gateway 1 on RMA fast so I requested a gateway 2 and waiting to hear back how they want to proceed but it is happening for CONUS customers.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it and SMAlset
I received confirmation today from my solar company here in so Cali they are receiving about 120qt Gateway 2. Since my gateway one needs to be replaced they can't get the electronics for the gateway 1 on RMA fast so I requested a gateway 2 and waiting to hear back how they want to proceed but it is happening for CONUS customers.

nice, so we know they are trickling in, I suspected this as on Tesla website it shows video for gateway 2.... they just don't want people cancelling orders in mass waiting I guess..

well congrats to us, sorry for all who just got install, we've all been there buying something and the new thing rolls out.. well that's life right

I just imagine when power wall 3 rolls out, everyone will sigh and process starts all over, haha

Reactions: af88 and SMAlset
I would really like to see an official datasheet, but nothing yet, the big change is 4G support and better accuracy on reporting, still not sure if that model is coming to US market, it's all here say until they release it but at least we know it coming in the coming weeks to months.

That's correct but I would take advantage of the 4g to free congestion on your own network. Why have Tesla which in their own API sends about 2500B/s hog up your upload bandwidth for no reason. The accuracy portion is the measurement of the contactor legs on the AC side. What that means in real world results is likely negligible.

So if I'm planning to hardwire with ethernet I'm assuming the 4G thing doesn't matter too much. What does the accuracy in reporting mean realistically?
The 4G would be used to maintain communication with Tesla should your home internet go down. It's common for ISP equipment to have limited battery/generator capacity. So during a larger/longer power outage, it's not uncommon for people to loose internet access.

That's correct but I would take advantage of the 4g to free congestion on your own network. Why have Tesla which in their own API sends about 2500B/s hog up your upload bandwidth for no reason. The accuracy portion is the measurement of the contactor legs on the AC side. What that means in real world results is likely negligible.
Are you saying the traffic level is 2.5 Kilobyte per second (kB/s)? Good old dial-up (56 kb/s) was theoretically 3 times faster than that.

Short of being on dial-up or a very old satellite connection, 2.5 kB/s should not be noticeable.

• Disagree
Reactions: af88
That's just what the API allows, last time I checked it was 60KB/s that's without a software upload.

Again you don't need wifi or Ethernet if you have good cell coverage. Plus the source isn't available so if you trust Tesla on your LAN that is your choice.

• Disagree
Reactions: Janus
That's just what the API allows, last time I checked it was 60KB/s that's without a software upload.
Just loading this page, was 3.2MB (3200KB). I don't think you're understanding how very tiny that amount of data is.

The other benefit of having the Gateway on the local network, is it's API can be queried directly. No need to access Tesla's cloud service, or deal with any latency it's having.

Plus the source isn't available so if you trust Tesla on your LAN that is your choice.
With that argument, one shouldn't connect their car to the home WiFi either. Hell, if you really don't trust Tesla, then maybe you shouldn't use AutoPilot...

As the only thing worse than Tesla hacking into your home's network, is a Tesla driving you into a concrete wall at 100MPH.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44 and af88
Lol, it's that kind of ignorant response that makes you a soft target. Do a little math and maybe 2-3GB a month might mean something. Do you even know the frequency of the polling or are you going to talk like you have a clue?
No, I'm fairly sure you're the one that can't do math... You've stated two different rates, 2.5 kB/s and 60 kB/s (KB/s is not correct notation for anything). Neither adds up to 2-3 GB per month.

As for 2-3 GB per month. For American households with data caps, they are normally 1 TB per month. Making 2-3 GB per month less than 1% of the monthly cap.

Another way to look at 2-3 GB; streaming a single movie on Netflix will use up more bandwidth (roughly 6-14 GB).

What does a car have to do with a gateway discussion? Since you brought it up last I checked Tesla also had a cabin camera too, what could they possibly need that data for. You assume I drive a Tesla and care for a half baked autopilot.

You continue to do you.
I find it odd that you trust Tesla to control high-voltage electrical flow in/out of your house, but they are somehow not trustworthy enough to be on your home network. Seems to me, the far greater risk is Tesla's ability to remotely manage your gateway and powerwall; not whatever foothold they might be able to get on your home network. ;)

• Disagree
You've stated two different rates, 2.5 kB/s and 60 kB/s (KB/s is not correct notation for anything). Neither adds up to 2-3 GB per month.

For what it’s worth, 2.5kB/s and 60kB/s would both be well over 2-3GB per month.

60kB/s x 60 seconds in a minute x 60 minutes in an hour x 24 hours in a day x 30 days in a month = 155,520,000 kB/month / 1024 kB in a MB / 1024 GB in a MB = 148GB/month

Doing the same calculation for 2.5kB/s works out to 6GB/month

148GB/month is definitely pretty significant, although I have a hard time believing that the gateway is really sending that much data.

6GB/month is much less significant and probably more realistic.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, both 2.5kB/s and 60kB/s would both be well over 2-3GB per month.

60kB/s x 60 seconds in a minute x 60 minutes in an hour x 24 hours in a day x 30 days in a month = 155,520,000 kB/month / 1024 kB in a MB / 1024 GB in a MB = 148GB/month

Doing the same calculation for 2.5kB/s works out to 6GB/month

148GB/month is definitely pretty significant, although I have a hard time believing that the gateway is really sending that much data.

6GB/month is much less significant and probably more realistic.

You have to learn to ignore trolls.

It does not upload anywhere near that limit. What you calculated is correct for the frequency of the packet sizes for the maximum values. However the API calls limit you to only specific data, Tesla has access to far more information in their source for total calls they make to send data back to the mothership, hence the delta in packet size and two values. What you don't have specifically to do the math is the frequency which I was able to ascertain by logging. Total came out to ~2-3GB/month (no firmware updates). You can imagine with a firmware upgrade it will probably go over 3GB easily at least prior to 1.46 where they had bugs in the download and upload process due to poor watchdog code, but that is supposed to be fixed apparently in 1.47. Needless to say when I spoke to Tesla L2 he told me there is some data uploaded every 3sec but there is a larger dump uploaded nightly and on events. He didn't have the exact value so go figure you can't ever get details from Tesla but he was honest.

Cheers