Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GCR: each Model S undergoes 5 hours of testing before leaving Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had my factory tour I asked about vehicle testing, particularly the water bath. I was told that not every car undergoes the full testing procedure, that they only sample a certain percentage of cars to be run through the full test, including the water bath.

Does anyone know if this has changed? My impression, based on my factory tour, is that the extensive 5 hour test is only on sampled cars, not every car.

My car had 15 miles when delivered, so unless the speedometer is set below zero when built, it didn't get the 20 mile dyno.

Same here Mine had 18, with ~1 of those being from transport (assuming the factory reset the trip meters when it left).

I'd say they need to improve the inspections a bit more. My car was delivered with 3 cosmetic defects:
- The chrome trim on the passenger side rear not being fully attached -- the point on the back sticks out about 1/2 inch. The driver's side is perfect.
- There is a chip on the edge of the interior rear view mirror.
- There is a scratch on one of the wheels underneath the clear coat. You can't feel it, but you can see it -- approx 3 inches long and on one of the arms, so its impossible to have happened while driving.

The first 2 were reported right after delivery. The service center is waiting for a TSB on the chrome trim. The mirror is on order.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the scratch on the wheel until I had the car a month. I'll report it next time I'm in, but I doubt they'll cover it since I didn't notice at delivery...

I don't believe this video one bit. Tesla does not have time to test each of the 20,000 vehicles it expects to ship this year in this manner. If a random sampling of vehicles gets this treatment, I can believe that, but no way that every car gets this. Judging by all of the quality control complaints here and elsewhere, if every car is getting this type of final inspection then those doing the inspections are blind. Some of the body panel fit issues that have been reported could have been spotted by a 4th grader, so obviously Tesla is playing fast and loose with its "quality control".