Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico = gouge-co

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So rates aside, how are Progressive, State Farm like when it comes to coverage, repairs, etc. ?

State Farm was quick to handle and pay those two claims I referenced above. They were relatively minor repairs performed by a Tesla certified shop that is also a State Farm preferred facility. So they handled the communication between them. I've been fortunate not to have to deal with any major accidents or totaled out vehicles.

Interesting... I've been using Geico here in NY state for years. The M3 LR AWD only raised my 6 month premium by $100. I don't *think* our rates are high normally, I did a lot of comparison shopping years ago and found Geico to be the cheapest. Their rep also confidently stated... "Nobody beats our prices in New York".

Perhaps somehow their prices vary by state?

BTW... the last car was a 2013 Chevy Cruze... so I actually think the difference in value between the vehicles warrants the $100 premium increase.

I am in new York. I am up for renewal on my Geico policy. They raised my rate almost $400 for the year. I called them and apparently they adjusted based on the costs they've been seeing to repair the vehicle. Has nothing to do with me. They are just raising rates on Tesla's.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I am in new York. I am up for renewal on my Geico policy. They raised my rate almost $400 for the year. I called them and apparently they adjusted based on the costs they've been seeing to repair the vehicle. Has nothing to do with me. They are just raising rates on Tesla's.
not surprised... given that seemingly small repairs can quickly run in the thousands $ and Tesla certified body shops are still far and in between compared to other OEMs. That's one of my complaints and the headaches driving a "new" manufacturer.

Maybe partially true the parts issues/costs...but most of that is just body shop gouging. It is a complete scam the entire car/body shop repair, insurance company and lawsuit trichotomy. Guess who ends up paying? You guessed it...the consumer...they all make $$$$$$

It's always interesting to my wife that when talking about car insurance, almost everyone focuses on cost. There's really TWO major things to consider; cost and claims payment success. She's done hundreds of claims with practically every insurance company in USA. There is several reasons why some companies charge less than others and in most cases the biggest reason comes down to what they are willing to pay when you have a claim. Some companies are easier to work with and pay more on claims than others.

Bottom line is that you really also need to be looking at customer satisfaction ratings on claims and look more closely at what they will cover.

Notice that most everyone here just talks about rates.

It's always interesting to my wife that when talking about car insurance, almost everyone focuses on cost. There's really TWO major things to consider; cost and claims payment success. She's done hundreds of claims with practically every insurance company in USA. There is several reasons why some companies charge less than others and in most cases the biggest reason comes down to what they are willing to pay when you have a claim. Some companies are easier to work with and pay more on claims than others.

Bottom line is that you really also need to be looking at customer satisfaction ratings on claims and look more closely at what they will cover.

Notice that most everyone here just talks about rates.

Spot on. Especially with Tesla repairs. No one should be looking at rates first. Find the authorized body shop in your area that repairs Teslas. Ask them which insurance companies are the easiest and hardest to work with. It will then be obvious which companies to sign up with (and which to avoid).

yeah I should have clarified. once you have a list of insurance companies that don't nickel/dime the repair shop, you're bound to find one that has reasonable premiums. Might not be lowest, but you'll have peace of mind that they'll have your back when an accident happens.

• Love
Reactions: KrenGrl
I'm wondering if Progressive will honor these rates after renewal. I have Progressive for my motorcycle insurance, and they have had quite a few rate increases (with no changes on my end). I hope it's not a bait and switch. Anyone have longer term experience with Progressive on a Tesla?
I switched to Progressive from Travelers (who raised my rates 20%; no accidents or anything, just “costs” went up) a couple of years ago. Each 6 months, Progressive has raised my rates about 3-4%. I haven’t had any accidents since changing to Progressive, so I don’t know what kind of service they provide in those circumstances. I also shop around each premium period.