Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Connector API?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the Gen 3 wall connector responds to most URLs (example http://<ip address>/status) with a 404, but noticed that if I try something like this:
http://<ip address>/api/1/status
I get no response. I'm wondering if there is an API underneath this thing that can be polled. Just wondering if anyone had worked on this at all?

Bruce

Thanks for this! Hoping there's some way to control (start/stop or even the amperage) the charging via an API. That would be awesome to maintain a charging level to only charge what solar is generating instead of pulling back off the batteries or grid!

Reactions: rypalmer
I wonder why Tesla hasn't added the Wall Connector the app yet. This information is awesome and really helpful in understanding how much it's costing to charge at home.

1632364594943.png

What are you using to create these graphics?

I'm using InfluxDB Cloud to present and store this data. The data is gathered using Telegraf and shipped to my cloud account. The volume of data is relatively small so it should be all free. Once you have a InfluxDB cloud account I have a template that can be add which creates the Telegraf configuration, dashboards, buckets, variables. You should only need to run Telegraf within your network with the right environment variables set.

Here is a Gist to the InfluxDB template

Reactions: duunoit and Velcade
The Vitals API is reporting current & voltage A, B, and C. Does anyone know what these refer to? I am assuming these are for three-phase power, but I have 240V North American split-phase, but I see values in A, B, & C for both Voltage & Current. And then there's CurrentN.

{"contactor_closed":true,"vehicle_connected":true,"session_s":19173,"grid_v":240.0,"grid_hz":59.870,"vehicle_current_a":4.0,"currentA_a":1.2,"currentB_a":1.3,"currentC_a":1.3,"currentN_a":1.2,"voltageA_v":244.4,"voltageB_v":244.3,"voltageC_v":120.1,"relay_coil_v":6.1,"pcba_temp_c":14.1,"handle_temp_c":12.1,"mcu_temp_c":18.6,"uptime_s":1372560,"input_thermopile_uv":-172,"prox_v":1.5,"pilot_high_v":0.1,"pilot_low_v":0.1,"session_energy_wh":0.000,"config_status":5,"evse_state":11,"current_alerts":[]}

Does anyone know what these mean?

I'm using InfluxDB Cloud to present and store this data. The data is gathered using Telegraf and shipped to my cloud account. The volume of data is relatively small so it should be all free. Once you have a InfluxDB cloud account I have a template that can be add which creates the Telegraf configuration, dashboards, buckets, variables. You should only need to run Telegraf within your network with the right environment variables set.

Here is a Gist to the InfluxDB template
I use Teslamate, which is open source. I should reach out to the developer(s) and see if they can add me to the project in GitHub. It would be great to add the wall charger. I already have some awesome status collected for Amperelicious (my Model 3); it would be fun to include the wall charger in that as well. I like your dashboard. At first I thought you had done it in Grafana, which is what Teslamate uses.

The Vitals API is reporting current & voltage A, B, and C. Does anyone know what these refer to? I am assuming these are for three-phase power, but I have 240V North American split-phase, but I see values in A, B, & C for both Voltage & Current. And then there's CurrentN.

{"contactor_closed":true,"vehicle_connected":true,"session_s":19173,"grid_v":240.0,"grid_hz":59.870,"vehicle_current_a":4.0,"currentA_a":1.2,"currentB_a":1.3,"currentC_a":1.3,"currentN_a":1.2,"voltageA_v":244.4,"voltageB_v":244.3,"voltageC_v":120.1,"relay_coil_v":6.1,"pcba_temp_c":14.1,"handle_temp_c":12.1,"mcu_temp_c":18.6,"uptime_s":1372560,"input_thermopile_uv":-172,"prox_v":1.5,"pilot_high_v":0.1,"pilot_low_v":0.1,"session_energy_wh":0.000,"config_status":5,"evse_state":11,"current_alerts":[]}

Does anyone know what these mean?
I would like to dig into these more as well. I use Home Assistant and it queries/updates every few seconds. I thought it was interesting that the Voltage C readout was 120V, yet had as high of amperage (32A) as voltage A, which was at 240V. Voltage B was also 240V, but much lower amperage.

Tesla doesn't do a very good job documenting their APIs. I've been exploring their API for communicating with cars, and most of what's out there comes with warnings that the API was found via reverse engineering and was not publicized by Tesla.