Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don’t have a problem with allowing people to comment on price, positively or negatively, on an open forum like this. If a seller feels a comment is wrong they are free to defend their pricing or may learn something about the market and adjust their asking price accordingly.

However, if negative comments like "you're car is overpriced" are going to be discouraged then positive ones like "great price, should sell quickly" should be discouraged too as allowing ONLY positive comments can be misleading since those positive comments may not be accurate.

People giving their personal opinions in the for sale section has always happened and always will. The moderators tend to moderate threads that only get complaints or they moderate that section when they are bored. I think that once a car is listed that the thread should be locked so no comments can be made and it would nice if you could edit the listing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
I think the sales threads get derailed pretty quickly from what I read. Unless someone's going to make an offer, it seems bad form to just threadcrap and criticize the price as it adds clutter to the thread from those who would make offers. I like the idea of locking the thread to only the poster and have PMs sent with offers. It would also be nice to know the sold price so we get an idea of where the market is headed but that's tricky. I've been following a couple of threads where things got obnoxious fast and the poor seller basically gave up on the thread.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Previously posted this on the WTB Thread.

Looking at a '15 MS 85D and wondering what the group thought it's value to be? One owner, clean Carfax, traded in at an ICE dealer, who's had it for quite a while so it's obviously been way overpriced.

8K miles
Obsidian black
Tan Leather
Pano Roof
AP enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Premium Upgrade pkg
Subzero pkg
High Amp pkg
19" Cyclone wheels

Thanks!!

Previously posted this on the WTB Thread.

Looking at a '15 MS 85D and wondering what the group thought it's value to be? One owner, clean Carfax, traded in at an ICE dealer, who's had it for quite a while so it's obviously been way overpriced.

8K miles
Obsidian black
Tan Leather
Pano Roof
AP enabled
Smart Air Suspension
Premium Upgrade pkg
Subzero pkg
High Amp pkg
19" Cyclone wheels

Thanks!!
The approximate equation I would use is:

Original Car Purchase Price (I would estimate to be between $105k and $110k) minus mileage (8k) minus months old times 1000 (could be anywhere from 9-20 months old which would mean subtract anywhere from $9,000 to $20,000).

So I find it to be reasonably worth somewhere between $78k and $88k, depending on the manufacture date. Maybe a little bit less but I think I'm fairly close. What price do they have on the car?

Currently listed at $89k. They've had it for nearly 200 days now and originally listed it at $102k. I'm sure they're upside down after holding it so long but as every week passes it only goes down in value. Fortunately with AP 2.0, I think I have another bargaining chip.
My estimate is $78k, based upon what I've seen listed for sale here and on other sites. Unfortunately, they claim that they do not have the sticker from the first owner so I'm kind of stuck approximating the original purchase price.

Currently listed at $89k. They've had it for nearly 200 days now and originally listed it at $102k. I'm sure they're upside down after holding it so long but as every week passes it only goes down in value. Fortunately with AP 2.0, I think I have another bargaining chip.
My estimate is $78k, based upon what I've seen listed for sale here and on other sites. Unfortunately, they claim that they do not have the sticker from the first owner so I'm kind of stuck approximating the original purchase price.
I hope it's been plugged in.

A new 90D will all the same options would cost exactly $110k before incentives. Also, showing them this link: Model S 85D 5YJSA1E23FF119905 | Tesla should help you negotiate. Based on comparative value, the 85D your looking at should be worth about 78-80 when compared to this CPO

I think the sales threads get derailed pretty quickly from what I read. Unless someone's going to make an offer, it seems bad form to just threadcrap and criticize the price as it adds clutter to the thread from those who would make offers. I like the idea of locking the thread to only the poster and have PMs sent with offers. It would also be nice to know the sold price so we get an idea of where the market is headed but that's tricky. I've been following a couple of threads where things got obnoxious fast and the poor seller basically gave up on the thread.

That's a shame. It kind of defeats the purpose of a forum like this.

That's a shame. It kind of defeats the purpose of a forum like this.

It's part of the reason why I bought a CPO - just browse some of the for sale threads here and the peanut gallery can be pretty vicious. It's almost as if every "for sale" post should have 2 sections - 1 for buyers, and a thread for the peanut gallery to comment on the pricing formula, etc. I still check on this forum more for tips about care for my new car, but I avoid the for sale section

Just curious where do you think the original s60 and s85 will be here in the spring? I'm hoping they fall into the high 30s low 40s. I can't foresee the CPO 60s or private sale 60s asking so high when the ap2 starts getting turned on.

I don't want or need ap2 or even ap1 so I'm anxious to see how they do in the spring.

Wondering if anyone on here rents out a 2015 Model S on Turo or any other rental car service.

My question for you is if you've seen a noticeable difference in rent frequency since the new facelift 2016 version came out. I'm contemplating assuming a 2015 Model S lease and renting it out but worried it'll need to be rented at a lower rate to stay competitive. Any advice or insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

What would you consider a more appropriate count? I've never tracked view counts for cars but I do know that most looking are not serious buyers, and are probably not even potential buyers. It's a new and fascinating looking car. For many, it's the first time they've seen one the road and so they likely google ebay for that, which could be driving up view counts.

Hi -- I'm kinda new to the TMC forum and a bit unfamiliar with the culture. I'm looking at a specific Roadster and wanted to ask the local brain trust about anything specific to watch out for, general trends on Roadster prices and so forth. I didn't think it a good idea to start a new thread in the "For Sale" forum when I was posting a car for sale but wanted advice on a specific car I'm thinking about buying. Is this the best place to ask n00b questions?

Reactions: Fiver
Hi -- I'm kinda new to the TMC forum and a bit unfamiliar with the culture. I'm looking at a specific Roadster and wanted to ask the local brain trust about anything specific to watch out for, general trends on Roadster prices and so forth. I didn't think it a good idea to start a new thread in the "For Sale" forum when I was posting a car for sale but wanted advice on a specific car I'm thinking about buying. Is this the best place to ask n00b questions?

Welcome to the forum! Try posting it in the Roadster - Technical section. That way you'll get answers directly from the folks that have firsthand knowledge of the cars. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: byeLT4