Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Raises question as to whether competitors are/will be using AC Induction motors (no rare earth needed) or DC (as Toyota apparently will).
If Tesla owned patents on AC induction motors, they have said they would permit use of EV IP to further company's mission.
Not sure why Toyota is choosing to use DC and incur expense of rare earths.
My guess is the same as why Tesla is using them on the Model 3. Higher efficiency, meaning longer range per kilowatt hour.

Reactions: bookfast
Toyota Readies Cheaper Electric Motor by Halving Rare Earth Use

Asia’s biggest carmaker has developed a magnet for the motors that as much as halves the use of a rare earth called neodymium and eliminates the use of others called terbium and dysprosium, the company said at a briefing in Tokyo on Tuesday. In their place, Toyota will use the rare earths lanthanum and cerium, which cost 20 times less than neodymium.
One thing is certain. We will see huge advances in BEV componentes during the coming five years. Tesla has led the way, Imagine what will be happening as clever electrical engineers, physicists, chemists and others continue to devote themselves to a transition that is forced upon them. It will be surprising on multiple fronts.

Remember when pollution controls were forced on automakers first in California 1961 with PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)?
How about General Motors (yes, GM!!) convincing teh American petroleum Institute to go along with eliminated lead from motor fuel, thus allowing catalytic converters?
Then steady progress until today when ICE are cleaner, more powerful, more efficient and more reliable than they ever were before forced innovation.
I am NOT being an apologist for ICE. I am saying taht when industry is forced to do something the hate to do they find solutions that improve the product.

Howls of pain and "it cannot be done" coming from the auto industry in the US, Germany, Korea and Japan should be ignored. When forced they'll innovate.

In a way this is reminiscent of the quotation about Americans attributed to Winston Churchill “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.”. Just replace "Americans" with "auto industry" and we have it.

Seat belts,
Pollution controls,
airbags,
side impact,
crumple zones.
...and so much more.
All those were fought with great defiance as, yes, "fake news"

Raises question as to whether competitors are/will be using AC Induction motors (no rare earth needed) or DC (as Toyota apparently will).
If Tesla owned patents on AC induction motors, they have said they would permit use of EV IP to further company's mission.
Not sure why Toyota is choosing to use DC and incur expense of rare earths.
I'm relatively certain that it's not a DC motor.

Permanent Magnet A/C (PMAC) motors are used in EV's. The Bolt, and other manufacturers use them. As a matter of fact, that's what the Model 3 has.

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
Has anyone introduced an EV that recovers the space under the hood?

With a frunk?

BMW i3 has always had a frunk. It's not as large as on any Tesla, but enough room for charging cables, UMC, repair kit etc and a little bit of extra for a bag of groceries so that you don't waste trunk space for this stuff.

It can also be used to carry champagne and ice: champagne.png

I'm relatively certain that it's not a DC motor.

Permanent Magnet A/C (PMAC) motors are used in EV's. The Bolt, and other manufacturers use them. As a matter of fact, that's what the Model 3 has.

Terminology issue?
At a low level, the classical DC motor is not DC from the rotor's point of view. And from a high level the Tesla motors all run from DC.

AC is a common shorthand for AC Induction motor. This type must have a rotating (AC) field relative to the rotor to create torque.
Most (ultrasonic being another exception) other types can produce torque with a static/ DC field. Historically, DC meant a mechanically commutated motor (feed it DC, it runs). Electrically commutated motors (of which AC induction is sub-type, along with stepper, permanent magnet, switched reluctance) can (depending on type) be set up to prefer a sinusoidal (AC) excitation, or a trapezoidal (DC ON/OFF) excitation.

Terminology issue?
At a low level, the classical DC motor is not DC from the rotor's point of view. And from a high level the Tesla motors all run from DC.

AC is a common shorthand for AC Induction motor. This type must have a rotating (AC) field relative to the rotor to create torque.
Most (ultrasonic being another exception) other types can produce torque with a static/ DC field. Historically, DC meant a mechanically commutated motor (feed it DC, it runs). Electrically commutated motors (of which AC induction is sub-type, along with stepper, permanent magnet, switched reluctance) can (depending on type) be set up to prefer a sinusoidal (AC) excitation, or a trapezoidal (DC ON/OFF) excitation.

Certainly there's a lot of types/subtypes that can lead to gray areas as to what a motor really "is", and then terminology can add another layer of confusion.

IMO, this definition you provided: " Historically, DC meant a mechanically commutated motor (feed it DC, it runs)", is likely the major category on most people's minds (although knowing what a commutator is might be an advanced topic, lol) as the major differentiator.

Broadly, it feels like the two major categories are:

1) Motor runs on straight DC from a supply (i.e. battery)

2) Motor requires externally supplied alternating frequency (utility power, or if from a battery, must have inverter).

Given the need for an inverter in the PMAC designs, I suspect most folks would call them AC...

Time for a "Motor Dogma" thread?? ;)

Thoughts feedback info on the German mess please?

Alarm Bells Ringing As German Court Prepares Diesel Verdict That Could Torpedo The Industry

If folks have to dump their car in order to drive to the city, will the frustration, anger of that bad experience tick them off enough to consider buying American?

All I know is Germans are the original Greens, but genuinely loyal to things German.
Is this a potential opportunity here for Tesla?
My gut tells me the court will throw it out?
Supposedly we will find out Thursday.

What is the mood there? Is this gonna fly?

Thoughts feedback info on the German mess please?

Alarm Bells Ringing As German Court Prepares Diesel Verdict That Could Torpedo The Industry

If folks have to dump their car in order to drive to the city, will the frustration, anger of that bad experience tick them off enough to consider buying American?

All I know is Germans are the original Greens, but genuinely loyal to things German.
Is this a potential opportunity here for Tesla?
My gut tells me the court will throw it out?
Supposedly we will find out Thursday.

What is the mood there? Is this gonna fly?

I am not at all optimistic that diesels will be banned in cities.

OTOH the discussion already is leading to

- a drop in registrations of new diesel cars
- a drop in the resale value of used diesel cars

Politics do not like a ban, because it causes all kinds of other problems. Personally I suggest you get rid of diesels in public transport first. Municipal busses can be replaced with electric.

Last edited:

Politics do not like a ban, because it causes all kinds of other problems. Personally I suggest you get rid of diesels in public transport first. Municiple busses can be replaced with electric.
Outright bans are difficult for sure, but I suspect other methods such as a tax on diesel use could be done instead that would be viewed as less onerous and achieving similar goals.

Politics do not like a ban, because it causes all kinds of other problems. Personally I suggest you get rid of diesels in public transport first. Municiple busses can be replaced with electric.

I agree in part. What they will ban is the sale of diesel vehicles first. Then at some point down the road, they might ban the registration of diesel vehicles in certain areas and then finally they will ban the use of Diesel vehicles in specific areas. Those areas will grow over time until they are all but eradicated. There is also a lot of grey areas in between where they could require modifications to make them less dangerous to be allowed to register. They will make it painful to own a diesel vehicle. Europe will have a much harder time at this then say China or India where we could see this happening sooner then later.

Reactions: Icer
Prediction: Gas taxes are coming and there is not much of a chance that they will not.

Trump has proposed a 25c increase to the federal gas tax, but that is just the start. The new Trump infrastructure plan is based on Public/Private partnerships. It took me a while to really get what this meant, but what I believe will happen is that the Fed will make available some funds for infrastructure projects, but only 20% for each project. This is to encourage the local governments to invest and private companies to invest and come up with the other 80%. The trick here is that the 20% goes back to the Fed if its unused. Local governments are as broke as the Fed, so this means that the local governments will do whatever it takes to get a hold of that money. If that means raising the local gas tax, they will do it. They will not let money get returned to the Fed, it never happens. You could see gas taxes go up as much 50c a gallon to fund these projects. While bad for most people and, it will be good for Tesla and EV owners. How this impacts the economy as a whole is TBD as well. In many cases it will mean more high paying jobs, but everything will get more expensive because fuel is a component for almost everything we consume. Someone way smarter then me.. usually @neroden or @jhm or @RobStark though I have not seen neo around in weeks. Ever since that post about Tesla failing him in service. I hope we did not lose him. Though I occasionally disagreed with Neo, I loved his insight and have learned a lot from him. Rob on the other hand.. J/K.

Reactions: Icer and SunCatcher
BMW i3 has always had a frunk. It's not as large as on any Tesla, but enough room for charging cables, UMC, repair kit etc and a little bit of extra for a bag of groceries so that you don't waste trunk space for this stuff.

It can also be used to carry champagne and ice: champagne.png
That’s if you are ok with the elements getting into the frunk. BMW didn’t bother with weather sealing.

Jagman User Ingineer also has a black box.
Model 3 Teardown - What's under the Frunk?

Ingineer is the wizard behind the curtain of youtube hero Rich's (Car Guru's) now famous successful salvage of a flooded S.

He also has created some sort of diagnostic network thing, (no kidding) with over 300 users. He holds the keys to the kingdom, I believe.
Don't tell him I told ya!

(JK Read it from him at Reddit or somewhere)

It struck me that you are considering a conversion of the XJ?
Another cultural tidbit; One common thing to do with recalcitrant motored gorgeous Jags in US was to replace with a Chevy V8.
(There was a bolt-on kit)

I still regret passing on an sweet early XJ6 that had been done.
Chevy 327.
$1500.
(For the entire car with a 327 in it)
ouch.

Pretty little skinny bumpers and that glorious interior,
and the braaap of a vette.
heh.
For the future, if the Euro folk decide to Ban Diesels here and there, that is going to leave a lot of cheap iron for converting into this and that.

Status
Not open for further replies.