Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent this morning at the Toronto National Auto Show (a two week event estimated to have 400k visitors). S3X were on display, and my first opportunity to see the M3 in person. Wow! Simply Wow! Tesla was located on the Exotic Car Level 100 of Toronto Convention Centre. I was hoping to sit in the M3 however the Tesla rep advised that for the first day of the show it had been accessible and was mobbed by patrons, they couldn't control the traffic and had to lock the doors. The MS and MX were fully accessible by the patrons so was able to sit in those. When I was there the Tesla booth was packed elbow to elbow with adjacent million dollar exotics not getting much attention at all. Not to be outdone, Porsche unveiled their Mission E....well, sort of...
Mission E.jpg

Walking the main showroom floors and seeing all the competition in one place only reinforced my understanding how truly far behind they are, many years behind. I can't believe they are not stepping up. The future is here for the taking and the competition is simply looking the other way.
Daniel

@Waiting4M3
Regarding the parking lot idea: It may be cheaper (from an owner POV) to just have the autonomous cars cruise on straight low speed streets when not used. (And even cheaper to ditch the SF apartment and live in the car)

I see this being banned in Cities,Counties, and States as soon as there are more than a few dozen cars doing it.

SF might even do it preemptively.

Reactions: Ulmo and erthquake
kenriko made a great drone video of the ship and the parking lot just before it left port:

Looks like a few cars didn´t fit ;).

I was talking to my SC today and they said they have had a lot of orders from China recently.

They also have 60 Model 3s that are coming in next week. (Southern Texas)

If you watch my factory flyover the lot is mostly empty:

It's because the cars are on the road headed to their new owners.

Oh and Like / Subscribe! ;)

Last edited:
I was talking to my SC today and they said they have had a lot of orders from China recently.

They also have 60 Model 3s that are coming in next week. (Southern Texas)

If you watch my factory flyover the lot is mostly empty:

It's because the cars are on the road headed to their new owners.

Oh and Like / Subscribe! ;)

Cool, thanks for the videos. You sure know a thing or two how to shoot with a drone and put together something that pleases the eye!

I knew about some non-owners being invited to configure yesterday, but, I hadn't seen anything on how large a number of people that was... would be helpful to see any info on this.

Head over the the model 3 order to configure spreadsheet. It has all this and more information. It lists 135 invites sent on last Thursday. For reference, the batch of invites before that was reported 50 times only. Surely non-owners may be more eager to report themselves for getting an invite but still hard to see that account for the 150% growth.

Login on Twitter

Not short but skeptic.

I thought Tesla had a partnership with Jeff Dahn. Why would they need that if they had no cell related IP of their own? There are also other suppliers in that building as well. It's beneficial to everyone. He makes it seem like it's Panasonic factory and they are renting space to Tesla but forgets that Tesla owns the most important thing. The demand. They also own the supply because as the guy stated, Tesla must buy what Panasonic makes. So who is renting space from whom? Tesla is also invested in lithium mines that supplies the gigafactory so Tesla is clearly more involved with the supply chain then this guy assumes. My guess is that this is a better deal for both Tesla and Panasonic then any automaker will have with their battery suppliers which is a huge advantage. Tesla also can partner with any cell maker for any gigafactory, they are not limited to Panasonic. Another advantage to Tesla. EVs only really work today at gigafactory scales. They don't really work out side of a niche product without it. Other car makers have haven't figured that out yet. They seem happy to lose money on every car until the problem magically fixes itself.

Spent this morning at the Toronto National Auto Show (a two week event estimated to have 400k visitors). S3X were on display, and my first opportunity to see the M3 in person. Wow! Simply Wow! Tesla was located on the Exotic Car Level 100 of Toronto Convention Centre. I was hoping to sit in the M3 however the Tesla rep advised that for the first day of the show it had been accessible and was mobbed by patrons, they couldn't control the traffic and had to lock the doors. The MS and MX were fully accessible by the patrons so was able to sit in those. When I was there the Tesla booth was packed elbow to elbow with adjacent million dollar exotics not getting much attention at all. Not to be outdone, Porsche unveiled their Mission E....well, sort of... View attachment 282576
Walking the main showroom floors and seeing all the competition in one place only reinforced my understanding how truly far behind they are, many years behind. I can't believe they are not stepping up. The future is here for the taking and the competition is simply looking the other way.
Daniel

Why does it look like the roadster 2020?

Reactions: zmarty
Ha, right! VP at Tesla. The main reason I'm here on the TSLA investment forum is so that someone else at Tesla can work hard to make ME money. Also I can yell at Tesla any time they miss an Elon target. Why would I want to be on the other side of this?
Suuuuuuuuugar. I would love the opportunity to work for Tesla even if I became a burnout a year later. At least I could claim to have been part of something worthwhile. Money is nice, but getting fulfillment from what you do is so much more.

Suuuuuuuuugar. I would love the opportunity to work for Tesla even if I became a burnout a year later. At least I could claim to have been part of something worthwhile. Money is nice, but getting fulfillment from what you do is so much more.

Both in one job: Nirvana

Self driving cars to hit California roads in April. Only caveat is that a remote "operator" needs to be available for edge cases the car can't handle.

Self-driving cars with 'remote' drivers could test on Calif roads in April: DMV
Self-driving cars with 'remote' drivers could be tested on California roads starting in April

Seems like a good interim solution. One person sitting in a control room to handle 500 roaming cars. Googles cars are down to 1 required intervention every 5,000 miles. If any given car drives say 200 miles per day, 25 cars need help once a day. 500 cars need help 20 times per day.

You replace 500 drivers with one person in a control room who handles an edge case once an hour. All thats needed is reliable data link to the car, and the network is becoming ubiquitous.

This scales well, and eliminates the need to go from 99.999% to 100% reliable. Seems like a game changer. Will be interested to see which companies apply.

RT
Seriously, I suggested this as an option a month or two ago and form members poohpoohed it.... For people who like Elon for thinking out of the box, they sure do get stuck in it... grr, at least I get vindication now.

I've already been burned out on a job for ~20 years. So, no thank you.

You'll pay above $30,000/space for basic structured parking + design/engineering fees + an upcharge for electrical infrastructure and any inhabitable space you want (control room, wash room, etc.). So call it $40,000/space for most of America outside the high $ construction zones and exclusive of land costs.

No need. Already happening. Go to many garages in SF and there is a floor of fleet cars for Turo or Get Around. Actually works much better than owning a car if you work in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.