Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting comical. So analysts went from saying Tesla won’t be able to raise any capital to now saying they will raise capital before year end. Their new model suggests Tesla will have $1 billion by end of 3rd Q, which is typically when Tesla would raise money in the past to be comfortable. They seem to still be in denial that Tesla will be cash flow positive and self sustaining this year. If a capital raise comes, it’ll be for building GF 3-4. This new information can be seen in your TSLA account if you have Etrade. I guess shorts are screwed whether Tesla raises or not.

I think the term you're searching for is "rationalization."

It's hard to accept the fact that the bears have been right for the last move in stock price. They may be emboldened by the drop and stay short, just the way longs thought the price was headed to the sky when it was in the 380s.

All I'm saying is that selling in the 380s and buying back in at current levels would have been a very good move. Long-term investors with unrealistic expectations missed that opportunity.

Were the bears right or just lucky? I can't remember every BS piece of "news" that came out during the 380-245 drop but other than ramp being slower than expected everything has been fine.

Did the bears know that Moody's was going to downgrade? Model X crash on auto pilot? Recall?

I know they were expecting the ramp to be further behind and they were WRONG on that one. The smart ones cashed in on their good fortune this past week, the dumb ones are still hoping for a miracle.

I remember a few years ago, Warren Buffett said the nation could be ruined if we continue to have huge trade deficit without action (something like that). His suggestion was to implement a credit system. Importers have to buy credits from exporters to import equivalent amount of products. So trade will automatically be balanced and it doesn't violate trade rules.

I thought Buffett's suggestion is a great idea. Why nobody talk about it?

Isn't the US$ a sort of credit system being used? Why put another layer of complexity on it? The trade deficit is not a problem as long as the chinese keep buying US debt.

Occasionally they will have to adjust their currency. Then the real costs will be reflected and the party might come to an end.

Isn't the US$ a sort of credit system being used? Why put another layer of complexity on it? The trade deficit is not a problem as long as the chinese keep buying US debt.

Occasionally they will have to adjust their currency. Then the real costs will be reflected and the party might come to an end.

I don't expect China to revalue their currency to balance trade with US. Why would they do that?

Sure, US can devalue the dollar dramatically to balance trade, which means huge inflation. That's why US families will shoulder the huge debt one way or another. Inflation is one way, we and future generations all suffer the consequence. It's very similar to how a family is run, if I earn $3000 a month, consuming $5000 a month is not very smart.

I think both sides know how urgent the situation is. China has to stop some of the unfair practice. This "trade war" will end pretty soon.

Were the bears right or just lucky? I can't remember every BS piece of "news" that came out during the 380-245 drop but other than ramp being slower than expected everything has been fine..

Correct. And the ramp thing shouldn't even impact the price. If 3 months ago people valued the company at X and the timeline was laid out as it was, and now we're essentially 2.5 months closer to expectations rather than 3 months, we're still closer than we were in January to the M3 being where it needs to be. It's a huge overreaction, and much of it from poor information out there. People are acting like M/S demand has shrunk because they had less deliveries than last year....which is beyond false. They had enough orders to deliver 60k-70k S/X cars if they had the ability to produce that many. Last Q2 they had a poor S/X delivery number, so come end of Q2 when they delivered 27k S/X's and have a huge YOY growth and deliver 30k M3's, the stock price will skyrocket.

Bloomberg updated their model today:

Model%203%20Estimates_zpsspu9wgy4.jpg

So the press release that Tesla put out yesterday stated the following: "In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles. In the next seven days, we expect to produce 2,000 Model S and X vehicles and 2,000 Model 3 vehicles."

I guess the folks at Bloomberg have higher confidence in the model than actual reality. Hey, when the facts disagree with your perception of reality, you really shouldn't let the facts get in the way !

RT

I understand some investors suffered during this round of short attack. The best revenge against them is to implement a sound plan, don't let them get you again. Every time you lose money, the money went to their accounts.

If we all act right, they won't be able to make money. They would actually lose money: borrowing interest, money to "PR companies", money to media (paying them to write attack articles), opportunity cost, etc.

My approach is buy and hold only, keep adding with new cash. If this goes to $500 tomorrow, I am not selling. I will hold for 10 years and see what they can do.

I understand some investors suffered during this round of short attack. The best revenge against them is to implement a sound plan, don't let them get you again. Every time you lose money, the money went to their accounts.

If we all act right, they won't be able to make money. They would actually lose money: borrowing interest, money to "PR companies", money to media (paying them to write attack articles), opportunity cost, etc.

My approach is buy and hold only, keep adding with new cash. If this goes to $500 tomorrow, I am not selling. I will hold for 10 years and see what they can do.

This. No margin. No options. Just buy the dips and hold.

no chance.
Started at around $310, wont even think of covering before 100$

The little short squeeze try yesterday is already over again. There will be no more growth in china

As soon as the market realizes that yesterdays report was a catastrophe, tesla will continue downward.

Even former uber-bull Adam Jonas doesnt believe Musks BS about no capital needed and still expects at least a 2,5b raise.
Say what?

So the press release that Tesla put out yesterday stated the following: "In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles. In the next seven days, we expect to produce 2,000 Model S and X vehicles and 2,000 Model 3 vehicles."

I guess the folks at Bloomberg have higher confidence in the model than actual reality. Hey, when the facts disagree with your perception of reality, you really shouldn't let the facts get in the way !

RT

Its just backwards looking. Really about 3 weeks backward. They added a projection on one of the other graphs which is actually pretty accurate.

GM, Ford to drop 4 car nameplates, report says

Chevrolet and Ford Division to discontinue subcompact and full size passenger cars in the USA in favor of pickups, SUVs,and CUVs. Ford Division may also discontinue midsize Fusion.
If(When) gas prices rise 15-20% between now and summer of 2019, I wonder how this will affect those who want to shift to more fuel efficient vehicles? Will they have the PHEVs ready by that point and be able to scale them up? Or will they lose further market share at that point?

RT

I know you're going for humor (and I admit as well, I smiled too), the two things you're comparing are straight up different. Tesla has made a statement about what happened in one particular 7 day period, and a corresponding statement of intent about what will happen in the following 7 day period. (They also said something about the total activity in the previous quarter in total).

I too take Tesla's statement as the highest confidence statement about what will actually happen over those two weeks, and clearly that's different than Bloomberg's model.

Bloomberg's model is also saying something about the weeks leading up to the 2 week window Tesla has said something about, and will continue saying something about the weeks after Tesla isn't talking and providing high confidence information. Is Bloomberg's model right? Of course not. The famous quote "all models are wrong, some models are useful" applies here as it does everywhere.

And I find the Bloomberg model output very useful, even for this 2 week window when its clearly wrong.

If we understand the model and its input, then we can even predict now what it will look like in a couple of weeks when the Tesla statement and 1 week forecast show up in real data in the real world.

Or we can look at the model and compare it to what Tesla has said, as well as other independent metrics from the world, to get better at reading the tea leaves. At least to me, this is a valuable contribution to the larger view of ramp activity. I like receiving better than bad or misleading quality information on a daily or more frequent basis, in addition to high quality information once or twice a quarter.

I also expect the frequent and non-authoritatively source information to have a lot more variation in it

If(When) gas prices rise 15-20% between now and summer of 2019, I wonder how this will affect those who want to shift to more fuel efficient vehicles? Will they have the PHEVs ready by that point and be able to scale them up? Or will they lose further market share at that point?

They will be too busy making trucks and SUVs and not worrying about CAFE standards

Status
Not open for further replies.