Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New VINs!
#Tesla registered 2,915 new #Model3 VINs. Highest VIN is 28289.
Model 3 VINs on Twitter

Unfortunately it just means that VIN registration is running so much ahead of actual production that we can't use it anymore as an indicator of anything. I would not be surprised if this is a deliberate attempt by Tesla to reduce visibility on production rate.

Unfortunately it just means that VIN registration is running so much ahead of actual production that we can't use it anymore as an indicator of anything. I would not be surprised if this is a deliberate attempt by Tesla to reduce visibility on production rate.

It may mean that. We'll need to wait a couple weeks to find out.

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 10.02.10 AM.png

I´d think it could be used in combination with assigned VINS and/or highest assigned VIN like someone here suggested a few days ago. See if all three tell the same story and see if a time-lag that makes sense emerges. Yes? No?

Yes. And if you do that (combined with the 8-K from Tesla) you will see that that no sensible time lag from VIN registration to the rest of the indicators merges. Which is why I make the conclusion that I make. But apparently no one agrees, yet no one has tried to reconcile the data.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Yes. And if you do that (combined with the 8-K from Tesla) you will see that that no sensible time lag from VIN registration to the rest of the indicators merges. Which is why I make the conclusion that I make. But apparently no one agrees, yet no one has tried to reconcile the data.

Your initial conclusion read (to me) that the VINs no longer have a tight correlation to production. This may or may not be the case. If the production did have a step change, the production rate may indeed match the VIN rate. It could also be that Tesla has another reason to pull so many VINs. At this point, I don't think we have the data needed to say which is the actual situation.

@Iceman
The use of 'divine' was correct. While it can mean heavenly being, it can also mean to probe the depths and discover the truth.

di·vine
dəˈvīn/
verb
verb: divine; 3rd person present: divines; past tense: divined; past participle: divined; gerund or present participle: divining
  1. discover (something) by guesswork or intuition.
    "his brother usually divined his ulterior motives"
    synonyms: guess, surmise, conjecture, deduce, infer; More
    discern, intuit, perceive, recognize, see, realize, appreciate, understand, grasp, comprehend;
    informalfigure (out), savvy
    "Fergus divined how afraid she was"
    • have supernatural or magical insight into (future events).
      "frauds who claimed to divine the future in chickens' entrails"
      synonyms: foretell, predict, prophesy, forecast, foresee, prognosticate
      "they divined that this was an auspicious day"
    • discover (water) by dowsing.

Reactions: StapleGun
Not meaning to side-track any existing discussions, but Schwab's just requested to borrow TSLA shares for their shorts. The last time this happened was WAY BACK in 2016. I guess the short interest has gotten higher.

And Fidelity is now paying 1.5% to lend out (rebate rate), up from 1.25% yesterday.

I agree. I don't expect Model 3 to reach 4k/w+ rate until May at the earliest, and VINs being registered this early doesn't align with other data.

Tesla delivered massive batch of 2,000 Powerwalls to Vermont electric utility, only ~10% installed

On the other hand, Powerwall is growing multiple times quicker than I had projected for 2018. This is not priced in the current stock price.

Does anyone know approximately how many hours it takes to install a Powerwall?

Buying opportunity. Not an advice.

Agreed, as long as the buyer has a long-term time horizon (i.e. two years or more through the next recession).

Reactions: sundaymorning
Status
Not open for further replies.