Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to hear reports about high wind noise. Wouldn’t expect that for a slender aerodynamic car. How much of that must be due to the lack of engine noise filtering out wind in ICE?

A a lot of vehicles in the $35k plus class now have active noise cancellation , engine bay is muffled with sound deadening material as well as the rest of the car against wind/tire/road noise.

For sports cars/sports sedans vroom vroom noises people find pleasing are piped back into the cabin through the speaker system. Sometimes it is completely artificial allowing a 4 cylinder turbo to sound like a V6 or V8. Or a V6 turbo to sound like a V8. Sometimes these systems allow the driver to adjust the volume.

And yes some outside noise is cancelled out by the ICE powertrain.

BTW I think CR got an early Model 3. After feedback Tesla has softened the suspension. At some cost to best in class handling, which Motor Trend said topped the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Which was considered best in class. Hopefully, Tesla puts original suspension on the Performance Dual Motor version of Model 3.

Surprised to hear reports about high wind noise. Wouldn’t expect that for a slender aerodynamic car. How much of that must be due to the lack of engine noise filtering out wind in ICE?

fwiw, I suspect that is a substantial part of it. Would like to see CR actually use some equipment to measure this vs. other cars they are comparing it to. I do notice I hear the wind more in a 3 at speed, but, I also notice I hear phone conversations very well, thus my sense it might actually be the point you raised, overall noise good, just a different mix to what noise you here vs. an ICE.

I actually have use of a family member's Model 3 currently for something of an extended test drive (I'm holding out on configuring my reservation to see about dual motor, and some other options). The only criticism we've all heard about consistently that to me is clearly on point after several days with the car is that the rear seat position is low. I haven't been on enough rough roads to confidently say that the ride quality is a complete non-issue for just about anyone, but on several hundred highway miles, I never once gave a thought to the ride quality.

2940160685205_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Mostly positive review but "overly harsh ride" " excessive noise at speed" for its class.

looking closely at that cover, it seems like they are only reporting on their Model 3 "first drive," not releasing their road test or overall score for the car in this issue. is that correct?

looking closely at that cover, it seems like they are only reporting on their Model 3 "first drive," not releasing their road test or overall score for the car in this issue. is that correct?

I saw this magazine at Costco yesterday.

I read the snippet inside the guide. I don't remember the praise but remember the criticisms. :confused:

They did give it a score but no reliability prediction sense it is new.

Model S gets better than average predicted reliability. And Model X much worse than average predicted reliability.

I saw this magazine at Costco yesterday.

I read the snippet inside the guide. I don't remember the praise but remember the criticisms. :confused:

They did give it a score but no reliability prediction sense it is new.

Model S gets better than average predicted reliability. And Model X much worse than average predicted reliability.

thanks. no scores for TM3 as of now added to the CR website.

Nah, they haven't required a Heimlich or spit the bite out yet, so I'd say the jury is still out on if they can chew it;). Of course, I'm getting antsy because it's not polite to speak with your mouth full... (see also Pythons and what they can eat without chewing at all...)

Spring rope corollary:
As long as your noggin doesn't hit the ground, the bungee cord was short enough...:)

LoL.. I actually think Tesla's standard operating procedure is biting off more then they can chew. They always seem to not take the easy way on purpose. They aim for Mars and end up hitting the moon. Not bad for a company that is learning how to mass produce cars. It's not like there is a building cars for dummies book. I know, I looked.

I asked earlier and no one replied, but do we know if the M3 line is running again at Fremont?

FWIW the employee lot at Fremont was said to be about half full on Sunday night. I think that's when the line started rolling again. Probably took a day or two and now car babies are popping out of the factory's birth canal.

Here is a simplistic model on margin. Some numbers such as overhead and material cost are WAG based on Tesla's projection. The main point is how quickly margin can improve when you start mass producing. But Q1 will look bad for sure.

View attachment 296388
There should be a PERFECT button.

@Waiting4M3 Edit: Instead of "material costs," maybe use the term "variable costs?" Otherwise, PERFECT.

Apologies for taking my "perfect" back, but Margin should be calculated on revenue (i.e. ASP), not cost (i.e. material plus overhead).

May I also suggest $55,000 for ASP up to 5,000/wk and $60,000 with D and P starting in July, or after 5,000/wk?

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Status
Not open for further replies.