Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding with me?
There is about 2 billion vehicles in the world today and even with a very optimistic with I have hard to believe Tesla will reach 0,1% of that by 2025. If we says that Tesla is the only car company that gets full self driving then maybe they will travel 10 times as long as a normal car and therefor reach 1% of the total traveled miles on the globe, 30-70% is just ridiculous.

1.2 billion in 2014. 2 billion is probably about 33% higher than the real number.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Found this article this morning, and hoping that I am not over writing someone else ~ I apologize up front if I am.

Elon Musk promises $1 rides in LA transit tunnels

Edit: If my memory serves me correctly; honestly it has failed a time or dozen, but the airline industry did something similar back in the sixties by allowing potential customers to come to Los Angeles International Airport and fly around LA for $15 per ride. My team of Eagle Scouts helped get people in line and kept the peace. I was given two or three free rides. They (airline industry) were introducing jets if I am, again, correct. Bottom line look at the airline business today.

I'm a total believer in Tesla's long time vision and until recently I considered me as a 100% Bull BUT if I'm brutally honest with you, I consider selling my position if Elon doesn't fix the bleeding ASAP. Like in the next three weeks. The whole situation is getting ridiculous.

And no, I don't care if anyone is blaming Shorts and FUD for this - if TSLA can't stand the heat of those punks, how the **** are they supposed to withstand (dirty) competition in the form of VWAG, BMW and others?

Sorry for venting ...

I'm a total believer in Tesla's long time vision and until recently I considered me as a 100% Bull BUT if I'm brutally honest with you, I consider selling my position if Elon doesn't fix the bleeding ASAP. Like in the next three weeks. The whole situation is getting ridiculous.

And no, I don't care if anyone is blaming Shorts and FUD for this - if TSLA can't stand the heat of those punks, how the **** are they supposed to withstand (dirty) competition in the form of VWAG, BMW and others?

Sorry for venting ...

I understand your frustration. TSLA has been brutal. Its massively underperformed over the last couple years and for many of us in LEAPS its been a bit of a bloodbath. I am annoyed and battered. However, there have been countless times when all signs pointed to a slowdown, poor performance, or delays. Those were reasonable times to exit or trim. Today, everything seems to point towards positive catalysts. This is clearly not advice. I've been wrong countless times in this name. However, I cant see myself exiting just as Tesla's execution begins to bear fruit.

Sorry for venting ...
If you want to know what real bleeding looks like, ask around people who were here in Feb 2016 when it went down to below $150. If you want to be in TSLA for long term you have to be able to handle that kind of volatility.

Sorry for venting ...

Sounds like you are at the point where you might want to take your own advice. Personally, I didn't even notice it was hot. We all have different levels of heat tolerance. Best of luck to you.

Sorry for venting ...
Since buying heavy into TSLA in late 2012 and early 2013, I have lived through so many of these dips that I can not remember them all. In the beginning I lost sleep over these dips. I have learned to completely relax. I have seen way too many members on this forum jump ship just days before a huge turn around. And they regretted it something fierce. I'd suggest you remember the reason you invested was to support Tesla's vision, and do not give your money to "those punks". Hang in there, it will turn around.

If in doubt of Tesla's own confidence in their standing, simply go to this site and click on "changes" in the menu bar: supercharge.info

Last edited:
If you want to know what real bleeding looks like, ask around people who were here in Feb 2016 when it went down to below $150. If you want to be in TSLA for long term you have to be able to handle that kind of volatility.

I'm fine with volatility – I know what I've signed up to. I've also "bought the dip" many, many times, but at its core, my criticism isn't really about the SP, it really isn't!

It's about the ability or lack thereof to learn and adapt from their own mistakes:

1. EM publicly promises the next big breakthrough – in the form of a product announcement, projected sales or production numbers, you name it – with the sole intention of "motivating" their employees and intimidating their competitors.

2. A sizeable number of employees burn out while desperately trying to achieve "the impossible". Key talents leave. (I can personally confirm this for at least two former TSLA employees, I deeply respect.)

3. Tesla falls short of said promise anyway and underdelivers. FUD and Shorts do their thing.

4. To stop the bleeding, EM publicly promises the next big breakthrough. Rinse and repeat.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've seen this cycle repeat for at least 5 times since 2012.

I … I just don't get it. I simply don't get it. What's the point of all this?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've seen this cycle repeat for at least 5 times since 2012.

upload_2018-5-18_10-1-48.png

I'm fine with volatility – I know what I've signed up to. I've also "bought the dip" many, many times, but at its core, my criticism isn't really about the SP, it really isn't!

It's about the ability or lack thereof to learn and adapt from their own mistakes:

1. EM publicly promises the next big breakthrough – in the form of a product announcement, projected sales or production numbers, you name it – with the sole intention of "motivating" their employees and intimidating their competitors.

2. A sizeable number of employees burn out while desperately trying to achieve "the impossible". Key talents leave. (I can personally confirm this for at least two former TSLA employees, I deeply respect.)

3. Tesla falls short of said promise anyway and underdelivers. FUD and Shorts do their thing.

4. To stop the bleeding, EM publicly promises the next big breakthrough. Rinse and repeat.

Raising Capital

Quoting myself for the first time ever:

So your point is? Maybe without repeating that same stupid mistake over and over again TSLA would have been at $700+ now …

Also, I mean, look at those dips in between. I wasn't saying this started point-blank 2012. All I was saying was that I've seen this pattern over and over again since I'm closely following Tesla in 2012.

In the startup phase of a capital-intensive business in an economies-of-scale industry, it is essential to go for balls-to-the-wall superfast growth until you reach scale. The risk is not reaching scale. And Tesla has a lot of enemies trying to kill it before it reaches scale. Trying to do the impossible is part of imparting the necessary urgency. I hope Musk will relax when Tesla reaches scale later this year, and reduce the employee burnout rate,, but I cannot fault his approach so far; it is what every startup railroad in the 19th century had to do to succeed.

(Some actually started construction before getting licences and before acquiring land, the rush to scale was so strong.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.