Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who’s the battery guy? Where is the location for their Gigafactory?

They intend to source most of the car from contract manufacturers so quite the opposite from Tesla. This includes batteries. Also define themselves more as a SW company kind of like Tesla. Very early days though. They intend to be 300 employees next year. Claim to have 1bn financing secured.

All this EX ICE Manager claim rightfully that its almost impossible to produce in the morning ICEs and switch in the afternoon to EVs. IOW They doubt that the legacy companies, their former colleagues will make it successfully in the EV world.

Fair statement however we all also know that new Auto start-up typically don't survive long.

My opinion: Tesla will prosper and grow, ICE legacy companies will suffer and shrink, new start-ups have a chance but its heavy lifting. Some of the 100 Chinese EV companies may grow successfully in the market gap e.g. BYD.

They intend to source most of the car from contract manufacturers so quite the opposite from Tesla. Also define themselves more as a SW company kind of like Tesla. Very early days though. They intend to be 300 employees next year. Claim to have 1bn financing secured.

All this EX ICE Manager claim rightfully that its almost impossible to produce in the morning ICEs and switch in the afternoon to EVs. IOW The doubt that the legacy companies will make it successfully in the EV world.

Fair statement however we all also know that new Auto start-up typically don't survive long.

My opinion: Tesla will prosper and grow, ICE legacy companies will suffer and shrink, new start-ups have a chance but its heavy lifting. Some of the 100 Chinese EV companies may grow successfully in the market gap e.g. BYD.

Those were rhetorical questions, but thanks for the added information.

Looks like model 3 deliveries in Toronto are happening at scale. There are 500 cars being prepped for mass delivery on the International Center parking lot, they will deliver over 2000 within a month according to schedule stated by Tesla employee I talked with.

yup I got my delivery scheduled for next Monday afternoon. Will report back with some picks inside the delivery center. I posted some videos on twitter of the International center taking deliveries.

The next EV start up appeared: Evelozcity
What a godawful name, but then again, that's probably the zenith of creativity (Evolution + Electricity = Evelozcity :rolleyes:) of your average suit.

Ex Opel CEO, Ex BMW i3 "Father", Ex Faraday CFO so quite a nice group assembled in CA to build EVs on a clean sheet.
Honestly, that group sounds like a disaster in the making.

Edit: Only gleam of hope is Richard Kim (BMWi and FF design lead).

Last edited:
Looks like model 3 deliveries in Toronto are happening at scale. There are 500 cars being prepped for mass delivery on the International Center parking lot, they will deliver over 2000 within a month according to schedule stated by Tesla employee I talked with.
Do you have confirmation on the 500 count? When I visited on Saturday, and when TrevP of M3OC visited on Monday, it looked to be about 300 cars on site give or take. There are a total of around 700 more cars in the GTA in different lots if you know where to look.

I've been hearing 7 deliveries per time slot, 15 minute time slots, 9 hour days, which is right around 250 cars/day delivery pace. I've heard rumored rates from various sources ranging from 150 cars/day to 300 cars/day. My understanding is that like December 2017, they've rented the International Center for the entire month.

This pace is considerably faster than 2000 cars in June. Should be more apparent when deliveries start happening later this week. I've not seen anyone with delivery appointments later than June 8 yet, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Do you have confirmation on the 500 count? When I visited on Saturday, and when TrevP of M3OC visited on Monday, it looked to be about 300 cars on site give or take. There are a total of around 700 more cars in the GTA in different lots if you know where to look.

I've been hearing 7 deliveries per time slot, 15 minute time slots, 9 hour days, which is right around 250 cars/day delivery pace. I've heard rumored rates from various sources ranging from 150 cars/day to 300 cars/day. My understanding is that like December 2017, they've rented the International Center for the entire month.

This pace is considerably faster than 2000 cars in June. Should be more apparent when deliveries start happening later this week. I've not seen anyone with delivery appointments later than June 8 yet, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

I have not counted it myself, just heard the number from the Tesla engineer who was sent here to Toronto from California to help with the Model 3 rollout. He has arrived just over a week ago and here for roughly a month, which means he leaves sometime mid-June. I am guessing his stay covers the mass delivery time-frame, so the event should end by the middle of June.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
All this EX ICE Manager claim rightfully that its almost impossible to produce in the morning ICEs and switch in the afternoon to EVs.

In 2010, Tesla hired former Toyota Plant General Manager Gilbert Passin to set up all procedures and processes for Tesla Fremont.

In 2016, Tesla hired former Audi manufacturing executive Peter Hochholdinger to set up all procedures and processes for manufacturing Model 3.

Anyone else surprised by the surprisingly lower number of weekly production numbers by the Bloomberg model 3 tracker now? We Set Out to Crack Tesla's Biggest Mystery: How Many Model 3s It's Making

I haven’t had a very high level of confidence in their day to day published number. Currently lists 1489 per week for me.

Tesla is only giving VIN to customers one week in advance as opposed to 2.5 weeks previously?

Whatever the exact numbers Tesla has shortened the number of days between VIN assignment to customer and delivery.

It will take a few weeks for Bloomberg model to adjust.

Anyone else surprised by the surprisingly lower number of weekly production numbers by the Bloomberg model 3 tracker now? We Set Out to Crack Tesla's Biggest Mystery: How Many Model 3s It's Making

I haven’t had a very high level of confidence in their day to day published number. Currently lists 1489 per week for me.
fwiw, im a bear and i put no weight into that thing. I think TMC data is far better, but i think insideevs probably has the most accurate ~forecasting.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Bravo @KarenRei :

This is a masterclass is slaying the FUD:

The War on Tesla, Musk, and the Fight for the Future

Great read.

Thanks as well for posting. Excellent summary of current nonsense. Some of the comments...ugh. I seem to have to re-learn the "don't click on the comments button" lesson every 4 months.

/rant
This may seem haughty but I don't understand the ethics of shorting this company. As long at Tesla's corporate values are aligned with my personal values they get my purchasing dollars, discretionary investment income and support. So what are shorts saying with their money? Seems to me they are saying: "I hope this company fails so I can make some money to, what, buy some stuff? To hell with, you know, de-carboning the transport and generation sectors. Let's punt that baby down the road - I have some money!". Go short coal. /rant

I'm starting to think people are too dumb to be allowed to use autopilot in it's current form. I'm also afraid government agencies will agree with me.
Tesla sedan in Autopilot mode hit a parked California police car

By the standards the media applies to Tesla, people are too dumb to drive any car (and getting dumber).

In the United States alone in 2016 (last year I could find official data) there were 102 fatal car accidents per day, or 37,461 per year.

Fatal accidents per vehicle mile in the US actually increased by 9% from 2014-2016. This is roughly the same time period serious (airbag inducing) accidents dropped by 40% in AP-equipped Tesla cars. Motor vehicle fatality rate in U.S. by year - Wikipedia

Deadly car crashes are on the rise again, hitting a 9-year high

Tesla may want to consider accelerating its upcoming AP safety update to combat the false narrative in the press.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.