Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent article on China's cleaner energy revolution. While China may be the world's largest individual Greenhouse Gas Emitter at this point in time, it would be very interesting to see how they ranked if they were given 'Carbon Credits' for all of the renewable energy projects they supplied components for around the globe (solar panels, wind generators, EV's, hydro, etc.), and were thus credited for the reduction of fossil fuel use in other countries for their manufacturing efforts (perhaps some of the brilliant people on TMC can take a closer look and share their results?). I do believe China will surprise the world how quickly it cleans up its 'energy-act' at home, too. In the first quarter of 2018 China installed more solar power capacity than ALL of the of the US federal Northwest Hydro System (about 10,000 megawatts).

China and sustainability: The giant stirs by Scott Nyquist

China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move the world. Napoleon Bonaparte

"Electric vehicles (EVs): China is the pre-eminent global power in both making and using EVs. It accounted for more than 40 percent of global production in 2016, according to McKinsey estimates, and it has more EVs on the road than any other country. Consumers have more models to choose from than anywhere else, and the charging infrastructure is expanding fast. All this is just the beginning. “In China, [EVs] are going to happen, and faster than anywhere else,” said one conference participant. Another: “Electric mobility is being pushed more in China than any other place in the world.” No doubt a great deal of money is going to be wasted. There are some 300 companies in or getting into the EV market, which is way too many, and a number are dependent on government investment. But the direction could not be clearer. Subsidies cut the cost for consumers; and policies such as exempting EVs from license-plate lotteries in major cities are also helpful. More than a million EVs are likely to be sold this year, three times as many as in 2015. The goal is for EVs to have a market share of 12 percent by 2020, triple that of today.

Energy investment: China is spending more than $100 billion a year on renewable energy ($360 billion through 2020); it also accounts for more than 40 percent of global employment in the industry............."

China is the California of the world, with characteristic humility, of course.

Didn't Elon say they're gonna start producing Performance version after sutained 5k/wk? If that still holds then that photo of 1st production 3P and the leaked email from electrek about 3.5k/wk contradict each other... Hmm...

Or a pilot build is different from full production.

Since the only differences from AWD is interior option and brakes and the DU are the same just binned for performance, it seems like there is no reason not to build them when possible.

So much hummm....:)

Reactions: neroden and hobbes
I do recall that NPR disclosed on air that they received funding from the Koch Foundation at some point.

Also, noted. Plus PBS, at least, must get massive funding from Kochs for science programs. And MIT gets building size stuff for research on cancer. Of course we also benefit from other industrialists like Rockefeller, Ford, Edison, Sloan, Mellon and a host of others benefitting from the tax code on their respective paths to hell, if it exists outside some of our workplaces.

Didn't Elon say they're gonna start producing Performance version after sutained 5k/wk? If that still holds then that photo of 1st production 3P and the leaked email from electrek about 3.5k/wk contradict each other... Hmm...

At the shareholders meeting there was a question an AWD and Musk said that they are starting AWD prod this month, scale that up in July and August with high volume by Sept.

Edit video is at time but if that doesn't work, it's at around 1h 2 mins

Last edited:
The bigger problem with this f!re is that a Hollywood actress is involved.

Mary McCormack
mary-mccormack.jpg

I agree, expect some short term turbulence until confirmation from Tesla that they’ve identified the issue. Just be thankful it’s the weekend so the effects are a bit mitigated.

This will hurt if not resolved. No Shanghai plant and double tariffs. Perhaps we are all discounting this from being a long term issue, but even medium term it could take a quarter to resolve. Hopefully resolved very quickly, but some in trumps inner circle think we have nothing to lose and everything to win.

I think there is much to gain with improved trade and legal agreements and maybe high stakes poker is the only way to get it done. I thought most of this was covered by TPP, but maybe a better deal is possible.

Interested in others assessment of the risk.

The plant should go on thus, when operating, the tariff hit to prices is obviated. (Assuming, perhaps falsely, the plant is truly integrated and not much dependent on U.S. part exports--say, powertrains--battery packs will definitely be produced in China.)

I've been pessimistic from the start about outcome of negotiations. Trump's advisers are clearly divided and no heavyweight globalist remains. What matters is Trump's whim. China has made numerous public concessions over the last few months, and dangles some even now. What Trump is doing reduces our leverage when he imposes tariffs on our Western allies, and he relishes it. Doesn't look like functional policymaking from any expert I know or read. But then I'm an air-hugger and have been a revisionist on US foreign policy for six decades.

I am a little concerned that they supposedly are building one of the GA lines in a giant tent outside. Even assuming it's a walled in, temperature controlled, etc environment ... I hope it gets a real home before I place my order.

Also, is this the first mention we have of GA4? I think they talked about GA3 most recently and that it only took two weeks to get installed...

My current theory is that Tesla's production pipeline has high throughput in early automated stages, like frame production, and that General Assembly has been a bottleneck, because Tesla hasn't been able to automated it as much as they want. Demonstrating rapid setup of General Assembly lines that can operate in parallel and handle the input from earlier pipeline stages, would be key to showing that they can quickly scale to 5k/week and then to 10k/week.

This is the 3rd line, they had that planned downtime in late May for this and other things and sorting them out now but takes a while.
The third line was mentioned on the shareholder meetin on 6/6 by Elon. The tent was just being set up on 5/31. No way that Elon could know that GA3 was so much better than GA1 and GA2 if GA3 was being built in that tent. The tent must be GA4.

The third line was mentioned on the shareholder meetin on 6/6 by Elon. The tent was just being set up on 5/31. No way that Elon could know that GA3 was so much better than GA1 and GA2 if GA3 was being built in that tent. The tent must be GA4.

I think confusion may arise because I believe that GA1 refers to the Model S and X assembly line.

GA1 = Model S and X?
GA2 = 1st Model 3 General Assembly
GA3 = 2nd ""
GA4 = 3rd ""

Anyone have more specific info?

The plant should go on thus, when operating, the tariff hit to prices is obviated. (Assuming, perhaps falsely, the plant is truly integrated and not much dependent on U.S. part exports--say, powertrains--battery packs will definitely be produced in China.)

Agree to your first sentence. But I don´t think we need the following assumption - tariffs on EVs don´t mean that there necessarily are tariffs on EV parts.

No not at all, you don't buy something first and see what it is later.It's a different design aimed at better ... let's say the ultimate metric is overall cost per unit.
If that argument is not enough, they said they can likely get to 5k with the 2 existing lines, why would they spend on a forth line today?

Thank you for your reply. What would fundamentally prevent one company comprising majority market share in the s’improvise industry? Demand? Supply? Regulation? Other?

Thank you for your reply. My responses in order:
  1. Players often comprise smaller market shares in a competitive market, before a disruptor arrives. See Blackberry/Motorola/Nokia unit volumes before Apple grew the entire market by multiple times, for example.
  2. Subsequent Gigafactories, which will include final assembly, will take less time to build, as limitations of the past do not necessarily apply in the future: capital, lack of experience, need to invent new technology for cell/module/pack production etc.
  3. The market today delivers nearly 100 million vehicles, so I’m not sure why delivering 50 million units, seven years from today, after further innovation in automated manufacturing, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other areas would be impossible. Seven years is an eternity in Elon Time.
  4. “They need to build the equivalent of another GF 1 for each 500K increment in production.” - GF1 will build enough batteries for one+ million vehicles, but even that will likely prove conservative, as one of Elon’s primary strengths is improving CapEx efficiency. This strength keeps catching Wall Street and bears by surprise, year after year, and some bulls fail to keep up too.
  5. Batteries can be recycled.
I also expect Tesla to be a major player, but if we extrapolate the 10x growth every 3 years, which Tesla is about to achieve for a third time against all odds, and combined with higher use efficiency due to FSD, Tesla could go beyond what Apple achieved, which is capturing the most profitable 20% of its market. Bulls dismiss this possibility.

I was going to answer each point under the point, but it wants to add new item numbers.

1) For small items, that is possible, but the larger and more complicated the machine, that isn't usually the case. Douglas aircraft came out with the DC-3 in the mid-1930s which was the airliner everyone wanted. But it didn't put any other aircraft company out of business. Brewster failed during WW II because their quality control was awful (the Navy took over the company) and Curtiss pretty much folded up after the war ended (they kept making parts but quit building aircraft). The aircraft industry consolidated a lot in the 90s, but it wasn't because anyone had a killer tech, it was because demand for military aircraft went down and airliner demand was leveling out.

In the 1970s the Japanese invaded the US market with cars that were much more inline with what consumers wanted, but GM, Chrysler, and Ford are still around, though Chrysler has gone bankrupt once and almost went bankrupt in the 80s.

With small gadgets, manufacturing time and effort is far smaller, so scaling up production to meet demand is relatively easy. The more complex the machine, the more time and skill it takes ot make and demand is not always the biggest limit on supply. Back to the original example of the DC-3, Douglas didn't catch up with demand for them until 1946 and that was only because the military bought thousands and the civilian market became saturated with surplus airframes after the war. Even today Boeing can be booked years in advance for their airliners.

With smaller gadgets it's also relatively simple to retool if demand changes. But setting up a heavy industry production line is very expensive and retooling is not easy. With heavy industry you tool up to meet the leveled demand over the long haul, not meet what might be a peak in the market. If one company is tooled up to make 1/2 of all the cars produced in the world and either demand dropped sharply (as predicted by autonomous driving gurus) or a competitor came out with something that dropped demand for your cars, that could be an out of business scenario. You don't want to have the capacity to make 50 million cars ready to go and only sell 20 million, or even 40 million. That would be a massive waste of capital.

2) Subsequent Gigafactories will probably cost less per building for batteries. However they will be building final assembly factories to go with each new GF, which will up the price back to $5 billion or more.

3) Elon has begun to give up on super automation. He has said he underestimated what people can do. The guy in Michigan who disassembled an early Model 3 was also an expert in robotics for car manufacturing and he was saying a few weeks before Elon admitted it that some things are good to automate in a factory, but humans can do significantly more than robots can.

If autonomous driving actually does mature in the next 7 years, the worldwide demand for cars will drop as companies buy the bulk of cars for autonomous ride sharing networks. I strongly doubt it will eliminate private ownership, but it will probably curb it, especially in some areas where owning a car now is a pain like built up urban areas.

4) I misremembered that Tesla upped the capability of GF 1 during construction. It is possible that solid state cells will take less room per cell to manufacture. The current liquid electrolyte li-ion cells are very complex to make and there are stages that require parts to cure for 24 hours or more, which requires large drying rooms. However, there are still physical limits even Elon can't overcome.

5) By 2025 the number of batteries that will need to be recycled will still be tiny. The only 2012 Model S batteries I've heard that are off the road are cars that were wrecked and a few packs that had failures. Most 5-6 years old packs are still on the road and the quantity of early EVs that will be reaching end of life by the 2020s is tiny compared to what demand will likely be. The number of new cars built with recycled battery materials will be down in the noise percentage-wise.

The Roadster was essentially a hand built, limited production car. The Models S and X were a bit higher quantity, but still not quite mass market. The Model 3 is the first true mass produced BEV, but the S curve is going to start to flatten after this. The Model S and X are much more labor intensive to make than most mass produced cars, the Model 3 is approaching the labor effort most companies expend to make cars. Elon had a dream of automating the factory, but found out that just wasn't as easy as it sounded.

Just about every company in the auto business has tried super automation and went back to semi-automation because that's what works. There will be more fat trimming on the Model 3 line in the next year or two, but it will be more fine tuning than revolutionizing.

Tesla and SpaceX both have profited harvesting low hanging fruit others were ignoring. Elon figured out how to design a 21st century rocket which nobody else had done and he succeeded because everyone else was using 60s tech. Electric cars have many inherent advantages over ICE when designed correctly. Most other EVs are ICE that were converted, the Model S is one of the first designed from the ground up to take advantage of the tech. It was all there if anyone bothered to look but everyone else in the car industry had ICE tunnel vision. The last people before the Model S design team to make an EV who didn't have a lot of experience with ICE were dead. Their designs were on the street over 100 years ago.

Low hanging fruit can only be harvested once. The lessons learned can be applied to subsequent designs, but they aren't breakthrough anymore.

Elon thought he was harvesting low hanging fruit with Model 3 automation, but found it was a dead end.

There are probably some big breakthroughs coming, but we probably won't see a jump from an ICE to the Model S again.

Over the next 7 years Tesla will grow and it may even become one of the biggest car makers, but I don't think 50 million a year is either a wise target nor physically capable. I worked for Boeing for 7 years. I was on the R&D side, but I got a feel for what it takes to make heavy machines. I've also worked for small electronics companies and the production issues surrounding even a high tech electronic gadget are many orders of magnitudes easier than putting together a large mechanical machine like a car or an airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.