Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
China wants to achieve national energy independence first and foremost and secondly wants to cool the anger of urban citizens over extremely bad local air quality that a couple of years ago led to riots and destruction of local Chinese Communist Party offices.

Suggesting China's leadership is transitioning from ICEv to BEV to reduce global CO2 and for the betterment of man as a whole as their primary motivation is naive at best.

China wants to achieve national energy independence first and foremost and secondly wants to cool the anger of urban citizens over extremely bad local air quality that a couple of years ago led to riots and destruction of local Chinese Communist Party offices.

Suggesting China's leadership is transitioning from ICEv to BEV to reduce global CO2 and for the betterment of man as a whole as their primary motivation is naive at best.

no kidding

Outrageous Chinese CFC-11 emissions identified

I abhor sanctions, but right now I think the WTO/entire world should slap 30% sanctions surcharge on everything from China until they start behaving responsibly. And you can add shutting down demand for big game pseudo health products, support for illegal logging and palm oil as well all of which are abusing natural resources in other countries.
You will never find me backing Trump but something has to be done to reign in China's abuses.

I would add vision of Chinese cars (EVs) in future everywhere, not just in China, as attractive one for Chinese leaders.

The end result is the same with the end of the oil industry as we know it. EVs, solar and batteries are future and the future is now

The end result is the same with the end of the oil industry as we know it. EVs, solar and batteries are future and the future is now

Some of ancillary results are not.

In addition to solar panel installation spree China is also on a natural gas plant installation spree.
main.png

China is also on a Nuclear power installation spree.

"All are patents belong to you" is not part of Chinese plan either. It is to dominate the 21st century automobile industry at the expense of quickly transitioning the world to BEVs.

• Informative
Reactions: emorog and Boomer19
~200k is US and Canada

Source? Is there somewhere that Tesla has commented on the regional breakdown of reservations? I've never seen that.

------------

Just went through some of the configuration flow (up to the point where I'd have to put $2500 as a nonrefundable deposit).

Estimated wait time was September, so that's not 3 months of production.

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS and neroden
IolNuMT.png

All Wheel Drive not really much interest to Northern US, either.

admittedly not a good sample size

but i know 8 AWD cars being sold to 6 individuals
(plus my buddy and his wife are both getting one, and getting rid of their 2012S, keeping their signature X)

and 4 of 8 AWD are Ps

i know 2 others waiting to configure the base 35-40k model (which it seems like they now can do so)

one other that canceled their resv because they couldn’t wait.

one other that has the resv but is waiting for Y

ny/ct area
and off the top of my head without contacting anyone. and not including friends out west that already recd the LR RWD

hard to argue against your opinion in states where there is nobody buying the AWD. not sure the reasons behind it.

just saying. my opinion is that once these things hit the road, they’ll be overloaded with resv. the worst prob they have is not being able to produce them fast enough. this will probably last a few years and then the Y will be all the hype.

i don’t think they need to sell 500k 3s a year indefinitely, to be successful. they’ll have a nice mix of sales years from now.

Reactions: NJ Plugin
Source? Is there somewhere that Tesla has commented on the regional breakdown of reservations? I've never seen that.

------------

Just went through some of the configuration flow (up to the point where I'd have to put $2500 as a nonrefundable deposit).

I know if I was running Tesla the first thing I would do knowing that the orders are drying up is to kill myself and my crew to ramp as quickly as possible for a Christmas Bankwuptcy.

------------

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse. Those numbers from @Mich were simply reasonable ballpark entries to show how the likely breakdown allowed Tesla to open configurations completely in North America.

I've finally had it as well. It's now Fired-birdAlpha.

China has already made the centralized (everyone needs to get in line) decision to transition to EVs. I don’t think they expect to have only Chinese ownership of plants given how well their internal EV programs are going.

By encouraging BMW, VW and others to build EV plants China will probably have local ownership of most suppliers. Tesla may be a bit of an outlier due to the vertical intregation but they are the clear leader in the sector.

Never mind the fact that 2000 jobs in a Gigafactory isn’t simply 2000 jobs. Those workers will spend locally causing other businesses to thrive and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.