Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought our stock market far, far out performed inflation. colour me confused
You want inflation subtracted from Elon's package??

First part is joke. Current valuation + 585B + Incentive dilution = 650B and Elon gets all the monies.

Second part of target is related to the fiscal targets, if money is worth 25% less, the targets are less effective money/ easier to achieve. Although the compensation itself would then be de-rated, so as it is seems reasonable.

Reactions: JBRR
Has anyone done the math yet on what Musk's Tesla related net worth will be should all 10 performance awards be granted?

Enough to colonize Mars regardless if U.S. government covers part of the costs?

Upstream, Mitch said Elon currently holds 22% of the stock. The full payout of the plan would be an additional 12%.

Take those two numbers and add in a little dilution and he could be at something like 30%. The target market cap is $650 Billion, so that would put his TSLA worth something around $195 Billion. Of course, he wouldn't immediately be able to spend all that money on buying rockets to Mars since it would be "tied up" in TSLA stock.

It's fun to dream. "If I had $195 Billion, I would ..."

Upstream, Mitch said Elon currently holds 22% of the stock. The full payout of the plan would be an additional 12%.

Take those two numbers and add in a little dilution and he could be at something like 30%. The target market cap is $650 Billion, so that would put his TSLA worth something around $195 Billion. Of course, he wouldn't immediately be able to spend all that money on buying rockets to Mars since it would be "tied up" in TSLA stock.

It's fun to dream. "If I had $195 Billion, I would ..."

Yeah, I miscopied from the calculator in my post above 33%/112%*650 = 192 Billion.

It isn't a straight 12% is it? It is 1% of the current outstanding shares each time. So as outstanding shares increase so does his 1% compared against current outstanding shares. (Probably doesn't make a huge difference unless Tesla issues more stock.)

It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

:) Who knows. Here's what the document from Tesla said.

For each of the 12 tranches that is achieved, Elon will vest in stock options that correspond to 1% of Tesla's current total outstanding shares (1% of that amount is approximately 1.69 million shares). If none of the 12 tranches is achieved, Elon will not receive any compensation.

I interpreted "current" as fixed point in time when the document was written. I suppose it could be meaning current as of when the shares vest. Either way, it's a lot of money, and probably doesn't adjust the amount of compensation a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. It's a ton of money either way.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and MP3Mike
he is a creationist Christian after all so it's a political ideology.
I'm a Creationist Christian and I think the opposite of your friend. (Not all of us Creationists are created equal..:D)
However, I share your frustration. It gets my cackles up to see bolt outsell Model 3, but, it won't last for long and I must wait for the victory that's coming. First and foremost, GM may be able to pump out cars by the millions but, they are held back by their battery supplier. Next, no Supercharger Infrastructure. I don't care how much money they have, they'll never be able to catch up to Tesla's Supercharger network on any level.

The 12 aspirational goals stated in Elon’s package is likely conservative, ensuring that he will get paid as they are attainable goals. At this rate, those goals may be achievable within 8 years, ironically making it the first time Tesla will be actually early for once. In the end the numbers just have to make sense for him, and it likely will pay us shareholders handsomely.

If Elon’s goals were $1 trillion within 10 years, it’ll be a lot more representative of this forum’s estimates, but may take another 4-6 years, deeming it an unacheivable goal within the 10 year time frame. For some reason, staying in this stock 10 years seems more realistic than say 14-16 years. I want to enjoy my investment before I’m damnit.

PS: it’s definitely a steep price to pay, but again CEOs like Elon only comes around once in a lifetime. I’ve realized it now that Musk is a brand, buyers sometimes will associate Tesla with Musk, his name alone is worth $70 B in advertisement for the next 10 years . By the time Musk passes, his name will be remembered in the same manner as Einstein, or even more popular.

Last edited:
The 12 aspirational goals stated in Elon’s package is likely conservative, ensuring that he will get paid as they are attainable goals. At this rate, those goals may be achievable within 8 years, ironically making it the first time Tesla will be actually early for once. In the end the numbers just have to make sense for him, and it likely will pay us shareholders handsomely.

If Elon’s goals were $1 trillion within 10 years, it’ll be a lot more representative of this forum’s estimates, but may take another 4-6 years, deeming it an unacheivable goal within the 10 year time frame. For some reason, staying in this stock 10 years seems more realistic than say 14-16 years. I want to enjoy my investment before I’m damnit.

PS: it’s definitely a steep price to pay, but again CEOs like Elon only comes around once in a lifetime. I’ve realized it now that Musk is a brand, buyers sometimes will associate Tesla with Musk, his name alone is worth $70 B in advertisement for the next 10 years . By the time Musk passes, his name will be remembered in the same manner as Einstein, or even more popular.
They sure miss a lot of small goals, but one of Tesla's big goal was to make 500K cars in 2020 but later revised in 2016 after M3 reservation #s, they might just be early on that 2020 target. I think big picture-wise, Tesla is exactly on target.

I'm a Creationist Christian and I think the opposite of your friend. (Not all of us Creationists are created equal..:D)
However, I share your frustration. It gets my cackles up to see bolt outsell Model 3, but, it won't last for long and I must wait for the victory that's coming. First and foremost, GM may be able to pump out cars by the millions but, they are held back by their battery supplier. Next, no Supercharger Infrastructure. I don't care how much money they have, they'll never be able to catch up to Tesla's Supercharger network on any level.

You are a minority I'm sure as far as being pro EV with those beliefs. I however would still argue that facts and logic are maybe not your strength, but like I said I try not to argue that stuff anymore, especially on the net! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.