Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is still a concept, so those stats are to be taken with a grain of salt. Also I highly doubt a release in 2020.

If this car will be as promised, it will indeed be very popular in the US. But their statement that - unlike Tesla vehicles - they don't make trade offs in design between range/performance/utility/etc, is where they lost me completely.

Rivian has an equipped factory. Unlike Faraday Future, Lucid Motors, etc

They have ~$500M in the bank.

They don't compare themselves directly to Tesla. That is interviewers and writers.

They are directly comparing themselves to the typical vehicle out there.

They are not promising falcon wing doors, sculpted monopost seats, FSD capable hardware, 17" touchscreen, bio weapons defense mode or any really advanced cabin tech.

They are promising a big vehicle than can carry lots of people, tow and haul lots of stuff, very capable off road and have a range "up to" 450 miles. Not minimum.

$100k vehicles can carry lots of kWh of batteries and powerful motors.

They have not said if going direct or dealers.

Not investing in a comparable Supercharger Network, Tesla Network, Tesla Energy, and lots of things that Tesla is doing.

$50k-$100k per vehicle goes a long way in that situation.

Rivian has been in stealth mode since 2009 when they were planning an extremely light weight 4 passenger sports car with a tiny ICE with very high MPG.

They have pivoted 180 degrees but have been working a long time and still have two years for planned Job 1.

Chance for any new automotive startup outside of China to succeed is between slim and none. Atlis is another American BEV startup hoping to bring a fully electric full size crew cab pickup to market for a base price of $45k.

I am/would not invest in either of them but wish them the best of luck.

Last edited:
* Test drive barely necessary as most cars are the same.

I agree with your post except with the statement above. For most people buying a (brand new) car amounts to a big percentage of their net worth, so you may want to compare some brands/models to see if you'll like the car.

Just with Tesla, people will mostly get their test drives from friends/family. Problem solved.

6'8" male here, can't agree enough. Model X head rest makes the car very uncomfortable.

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
That's actually hilarious. They basically used one of the cheapest forms of calories, McDonalds, for their walking comparison. Imagine now if you're a hipster who only eats "organic" food.

If you are a typical American new car buyer, then you are upper middle class and obese.

And would pay to negate some calories.

TSLA is the only car coming doing it right.

Car salesmen are useless in today's internet world.

Currently before you buy a car:
* Research it - info is everywhere.
* Get price - price you should pay is everywhere.
* Test drive barely necessary as most cars are the same.
* Want to buy it, ok can do like everything else online at this point.
* Pick up, ok just give me the keys.

Dealers have been skimming off society for years and years and continue to do so, providing no value beyond what money they can grab.

Trying to buy a car from a dealer is a horrible experience, because no matter what they say, they demanding money from you for absolutely nothing in return.

And don't get me started on "service"

The next generations know car dealers are a useless scam in the internet world. An outgoing fossil.

The only thing that protects them are the local laws they write.

Old car companies seem to not get it.

I want to buy a car from Ford, GM, Audi... not some local guy ripping off his neighbors.

It may be that their dealer network holding the old auto guys hostage is what will eventually just bring them all down. It just doesn't work anymore and makes the customer pay higher prices just to allow the local car dealer live in the best neighborhood.

That is why Tesla direct to customers is the only model that will work now.

TSLA long - it's obvious.

What he said - millennials are too smart to work under those conditions in business that is basically corrupt - I wish I had been instead of wasting my career making the " dealer " rich.

Yep the car before my Tesla was a Chevy Volt. I did my research and walked into my local stealer...oops dealer... and the experience could not have been worse.

The whole thing stunk as did the follow up emails. This place tried to make me feel guilty for not buying "local" They tried to sell me nitrogen in the tires window etching,scotchgard on the seat's.

They said my salesman was a good christian man (I'm an atheist)

No wonder people hate going to those places.
Keep in mind that US style car dealers are a US thing. I went to the local Skoda dealer when my MiL bought her car here in Oslo and that was a pleasant experience. The upsell wasn't heavier than at the local pizza chain. So this I believe is primarily a problem for the big three. Same in Germany as well where some dealers are local and some are manufacturer owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.