Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank two honored members of this board for their articles released yesterday countering and dismantling FUD by using facts and truth.

Each of this articles is worth a lot as its a source of reference we all can use.

The more this is liked and forwarded the stronger the impact will be.

Special Thanks to Zach Shahan and Peter Forman (alias: Papafox)

Great Job!

The Billion-Dollar Tesla Hit Piece | CleanTechnica
No Active Search For A Tesla COO, Tesla Says | CleanTechnica

Thank a ton as well. You all rock! Impressed with this thread every time I check in. (But I guess that's why many of you are rolling in money, yeah? ;) )

The Tesla solar business is a joke so far. GTM estimated that Tesla's Home Depot customer acquisition cost was $7000. Here are Australian solar prices in $AUD.

Home solar system prices: Current averages by city - Solar Choice

I don't think it's appropriate to compare US & Australia solar acquisition costs. There are huge differences because of various factors. I could write a long post here about it all, but wouldn't serve a purpose for this thread, imho.

Of course, lowering solar acquisition costs should be a priority for Tesla Energy, and it seems Elon has been working on it.

I don't think it's appropriate to compare US & Australia solar acquisition costs. There are huge differences because of various factors. I could write a long post here about it all, but wouldn't serve a purpose for this thread, imho.

Of course, lowering solar acquisition costs should be a priority for Tesla Energy, and it seems Elon has been working on it.

No analysis is going to change the fact that Solarcity customer acquisition cost is similar to total small to mid size solar system cost in Australia. Australia is an efficient market. Solarcity was always inefficient, unsustainable nonsense that was bailed out by TSLA owners smart enough to not own SCTY.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
That's actually hilarious. They basically used one of the cheapest forms of calories, McDonalds, for their walking comparison. Imagine now if you're a hipster who only eats "organic" food.

I actually find it ridiculous.

In order not to die prematurely from lifestyle-associated decease, you need some daily exercise, preferably an hour - probably more if you eat a lot of HFCS like you will at McDonalds. So when walking, you are actually reducing your cost of going to a fitness center (or other health related costs incurred if you did neither).

Along those lines, missing conspicuously from the chart are the data points for cycling and cycling on an electrical bicycle, which for speed and range are near optimal for a city. Not pricing in calories per the above, I spend about 0.05 €/km for my cycling commute (assuming a daily commute of close to 18km 45 work weeks/year, i.e. 40k km in 10 years, 1k€ for a new bike every 10 years and 1k€ for maintenance, clothes and other related consumables). Btw, we cook ourselves at home, I grab a 3€ sandwich for lunch so my calories are covered at a price significantly below that of a fast food restaurant (where I don't go).

But, yes, TSLA may very well reach 4k$ due to their FSD as Ark predicts, the question is just in how many years, and when one should buy TSLA to really cash in on that.

However, with the speed of FSD introduction (also regulatory), I actually think Tesla's coming, tangible products (especially semi, but also truck, Y, energy division) are just as likely to bring Tesla to an evaluation where Elon Musk gets his big bonus (the one at the 650 G$ market cap).

Novice, not advice.

PS. Yes, once I get my Model 3 I will continue to cycle commute (also expecting that my wife "will happen" to borrow the M3 for her commute). So yes, I realize that cycle commuting is not for everyone.

Last edited:
Also, in case you missed it, I borrowed a joke from @MXWing and wrote this fact-filled scorcher late last night:

THOUSANDS Of Cars Sitting On Lots Unsold!! | CleanTechnica

I consider that a must read. So much sleuthing!!

Great article but my head is exploding that such an article is even necessary.

That’s the desperation of those going after Tesla. Empty lots is production problem. Lots with 1 car means demand problem.

Those who aren’t pushing a short narrative know that there is already concern if they will get their vehicles by end of year - obvious implication they will take whatever is on the lot if it was actually avaliable to them.

Tesla once production is stabilized, will actually need to keep excess inventory beyond just build to order because they need to turn same day sales like traditional auto.

Some car buyers are impatient, some car buyers really need a vehicle faster than 2-4 months. It takes excess inventory to convert those opportunities. It’s either that or bulls are twisting a narrative of no demand. :D

Reactions: ZachShahan
China’s Kandi plans to enter US market, unveils two new electric cars in Texas

Let me get this straight - the Texas auto dealership (which is in a conservative state) allows a Chinese manufacture to sell its EV because they acquired an ATV dealer/distributor license at a time when we have both sides of Congress are Republican and a Republican president who is trying to make fascism ok again!?!?! What about the American company in CA???? huhh?

WTF.

Also, what charging stations Johnny!?! The only ones that are useful in Texas go by the name of TESLA.

Sportsman Country CEO Johnny Tai commented:

“This is electrifying news, literally. The charging port settings, software system language and the user interface were upgraded from the original models to satisfy U.S. market needs. They are now compatible with DOT standards and conventional charging stations.”

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to think at this point. From someone that has been following Tesla and Elon since the pre-Model S days, something has definitely changed in the past few months. I hope he's not losing it, but drudging this up again has me questioning the lack of self control. This guy has created a rocket company and car company from virtually nothing and he's going to let some internet trolls bring him down? I hope someone or a group at Tesla can reign him in because losing him would be a huge blow to the company. I'm tweeting him and I think everyone else should, too. Do whatever it takes to get back to a solid footing. If that means deleting twitter, so be it.

He did make an interesting point about it though. I had simply assumed a lawsuit had already been filed.

No, that's not an "interesting point." Vernon is innocent until proven guilty. When someone accuses another of a crime, our society demands skepticism until there's evidence. There is still ZERO evidence.

Vern has years before the lawsuit timer runs out. And historically, suing Elon Musk just invites more of a lynch mob. Reporters get harassed for writing negative articles - what do you think will happen to Vernon when he sues?

He also needs to be able to prove damages. Given his secluded life, that could be hard to do.

It is stupid and ignorant to say that the "lack of a lawsuit" is evidence of pedophilia.

Take that strategy to the extreme: Elon could end pedophilia by accusing everyone of it, and then we i

Status
Not open for further replies.