Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO GM's ability to make a $40K EV at low volume at (my guess) breakeven or better profitability should not be discounted. It's one key skill that may allow them to remain a competitor to Tesla just yet.
You mean it’s a skill that might allow them to become a competitor to Tesla. Because right now they are not even in the same ballpark.

Model3VINs on twitter says:

Correction: Between VINs 2500 and 3840, 64% have changed to MY 2018 (857) and 36% remain MY 2017 (484). This implies a total of 2,984 VIN registrations for MY 2017. The highest 2017 VIN in this range is 3837 and the lowest 2018 VIN is 2569.

They seem to do it in quite some detail, IMHO makes it more likely we can use the number 2984 as a good estimate for production.

Reactions: mrdoubleb
Inside EV’s reporting December/ Q4 USA deliveries.
7430 Model S sold in Q4 and 6025 Model X sold in Q4, for a total of 13,455. If Europe really is on track for 9,000, which seems very attainable, we only need 5000 in China and ROW for 27,000.
Regardless, for today, Model 3 sales will as likely as not, will cause a short term drop in the stock. Not likely that deliveries are over 2000 and it seems a lot of targets were not updated following the earnings report.
I think the only thing that will push the stock up is reported 1000 weekly rate, or surprising production number.

Model3VINs on twitter says:

They seem to do it in quite some detail, IMHO makes it more likely we can use the number 2984 as a good estimate for production.
there was an official Tesla letter posted on TMC(can't find it) regarding M3 2018 VINs. IIRC, it said starting Dec 22nd it would start using 2018 VINs? or something of that nature?

Anyone has link to that post? tried searching for it but couldn't find it?

I think we have pretty strong evidence by now that GM cannot currently make a $40k EV at breakeven or better probability. The bolt appears to sell at a ~$10000 loss per vehicle.

If they were truly loosing $10,000 per car sold, then you would see this only being sold in the CARB states and it would be by definition a compliance car. Clearly it is not. They can't keep them in stock here in the Twin Cities and many dealers do not have any in stock. They sell as soon as they arrive.

@neroden said here:

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

"There is a possibility that Tesla did something which is not uncommon. Suppose during production there is a supplier bottleneck but you don't want to shut the line down. So you produce a number of cars where a particular part will have to be retrofitted. You put those to one side, and then when the bottleneck is over, you go back to producing complete cars."

isn't this basically the exact same thing that was being written about in short postings and articles that you guys here mocking just a week or two ago?

No, myusername. The short-sellers were suggesting that it was due to an *unsolvable internal production bottleneck*, something like the failed battery pack automation line only worse -- not a supplier bottleneck.

Reactions: zmarty and SteveG3
Alex Roy seems to be hinting at a negative Model 3 review coming up, quite a few complaints about cold in his twitter feed.
Alex Roy on Twitter
Alex Roy on Twitter
Alex Roy on Twitter
Alex Roy on Twitter
etc.

He obviously turned the heat down in order to hypermile, but wasn't being entirely honest about it yet because he was trying to get clicks for his big article. (Edit: yep.)

I've told people here about my Model S "trial by ice" Michigan trip through weather this cold AND an ice storm... one thing I never worried about was cabin heat. There's no chance that Tesla would put in a weaker Model 3 heater, given their Norway testing.

Last edited:
If they were truly loosing $10,000 per car sold, then you would see this only being sold in the CARB states and it would be by definition a compliance car. Clearly it is not. They can't keep them in stock here in the Twin Cities and many dealers do not have any in stock. They sell as soon as they arrive.
This is a good point, but it is my understanding that the $10,000 loss per car includes all of the one-time costs (R&D, tooling, etc.) in addition to the incremental costs. So the incremental loss per additional car sold may be much lower or even break-even. Clearly the biggest regulatory benefits come from selling the Bolt in the CARB states (which is where the Bolt went on sale first), but there is also benefit outside the CARB states because of the fleetwide fuel efficiency standards. This is also apparently the reason the Bolt is sold in Europe, to meet the company-wide CO2 emission standards (offsetting the other cars they sell). The quote below from the Reuter's article I linked in my last post is clearly indicating that the Bolt (Ampera-e) is a compliance car in Europe (I add bold for emphasis):

"Among the unpleasant surprises was a CO2 compliance plan that relied on significant sales of the Opel Ampera-e electric car, a U.S. import based on GM’s Chevrolet Bolt, at a loss approaching 10,000 euros per vehicle, two sources said.

“Their technical solution was economically unviable and would have led to enormous losses,” said one. “So the first thing you do is drop that (product) line, but then the fleet emissions explode.”

Under PSA, Opel has already suspended Norwegian sales of the Ampera-e - which account for most of the model’s 1,500 deliveries to date - and increased European pricing by as much as 5,700 euros."​

I think we have pretty strong evidence by now that GM cannot currently make a $40k EV at breakeven or better probability. The bolt appears to sell at a ~$10000 loss per vehicle.

The first such claims were widely reported in Nov 2016 (e.g. GM stands to lose $9,000 per car on Chevy Bolt)

More recently similar claims were repeated after PSA bought Opel (GM's former Eurpoean subsidiary) and then demanded compensation from GM for a portion of the purchase price after they found out that GM's emissions compliance strategy relied on selling the Bolt (called the Ampera-e in Europe) at a huge loss. (see Exclusive - PSA seeks Opel refund from GM over CO2 emissions)

Although these specific numerical claims rely on anonymous sources, they come from respected news outlets and they are completely consistent with the production numbers, which are just enough to obtain regulatory compliance and no more. This is why Elon was able to predict the Bolt's US sales so accurately.

It also makes sense that the Bolt is more expensive to build than the Model 3, because the battery is bigger (base model), and the economies of scale are less (for both the battery and the rest of the car).

I still think it's unclear what sort of "loss" is being taken on the Bolt; it may be a fully capital-amortized loss, it may be an operating loss -- I personally doubt that they were referring to a true marginal loss on each car made, though they might have been. However, if they can't scale up production enough to cover factory operations overhead, it doesn't matter if the Bolt makes a marginal profit... and whether GM can theoretically scale it up enough or not (I think they can't because they've locked themselves into bottlenecks), they *are not* scaling it up enough.

It's clear that top GM management is still approaching it as a regulatory compliance car; the attitude is the problem.

GM's numbers on the Bolt PROVE that the #1 Bear reason for why Tesla will fail is WRONG! They keep saying that the established automakers have the money, the knowledge, and the factories to crush Tesla as soon as they start making EVs. Well, GM had a NINE MONTH head start on the Model 3. After a full year of production, they sold less than 24,000 vehicles (which is less than 1,000/week production currently). I predict that Tesla will produce at least 250,000 3s this year. So even after starting 9 months after GM, Tesla will sell at least TEN TIMES as many cars as GM (who had a head start). It is shocking that the shorts can look at this information, and STILL believe that Tesla will fail. As for me, I bought even more stock today. :)

Do you have a link for EM's prediction?

Can't find the original Bloomberg interview.

Here is a insideevs article reporting on Q1 conference call.

Elon Musk Talks Incentives, Explains Why Chevy Bolt Is CARB Credit Play

" Elon Musk

“But the CARB credits are only effective at a production rate of about 20,000 to 30,000 vehicles a year. So that’s why you’ll see, mark my words, it’s not going to be any higher than that for the Chevy Bolt. That’s on order of 25,000 units a year, or 0.10% of our initial production rate for the Model 3, or 0.05% of what Model 3 will be next year.”

And interestingly that’s precisely the figure we’ve seen tossed around before by supplier sources. Here’s what we reported 2-plus years ago:

“The supplier sources who need significant lead time to prepare for production say they are being told that General Motors expects to sell 25,000-30,000 Bolts per year once production is underway.” "

Remember GM fanboi being butt chapped when reports came out 2017 Bolt EV production was capped at 30k? GM spokesmen said they could produce 50k and hinted maybe 60k could be reached. Allegedly they expanded production capacity after shutting down factory making Bolt EV.

GM's numbers on the Bolt PROVE that the #1 Bear reason for why Tesla will fail is WRONG! They keep saying that the established automakers have the money, the knowledge, and the factories to crush Tesla as soon as they start making EVs. Well, GM had a NINE MONTH head start on the Model 3. After a full year of production, they sold less than 24,000 vehicles (which is less than 1,000/week production currently). I predict that Tesla will produce at least 250,000 3s this year. So even after starting 9 months after GM, Tesla will sell at least TEN TIMES as many cars as GM (who had a head start). It is shocking that the shorts can look at this information, and STILL believe that Tesla will fail. As for me, I bought even more stock today. :)

Yes re what you’re pointing out. Re “shocking,” for many who say bearish things it may well be about attempting to have others believe something than believing it themselves. This would be similar to Toyota and Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles. Does Toyota really believe they have a big future for consumer vehicles or do they feel as if they’d like the public to believe its too soon to declare/commit to BEVs as the future.

I believe a lot of those Bolt sales were leases from people who realized they needed something to drive while they waited 2 years for their Model 3. In 2019, when Tesla has made it through the pre-orders and you can get a Model 3 quickly, Bolt sales will drop from 2018 levels. No way anyone with 2 eyes and a brain buys the slower, uglier, Bolt (that you can't easily go on trips with) over a 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.