Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla is raising money:

Tesla plugs into securitisation market for new funds

Electric carmaker Tesla is set to tap a new source of financing to fund its multibillion-dollar expansion, with the issue of a $546m bond backed by customers’ lease payments.

[...]

The newest bond issue will be backed specifically by payments on its fleet of leased vehicles. Tesla provides vehicle leases directly through its own finance arm, and around 12 per cent of automotive revenue in its most recent quarter was tied to new leases rather than outright sales.

The leasing programme has left $3.8bn of vehicles on Tesla’s own balance sheet, and the cost of funding new operating leases consumed $1.1bn of cash in the first nine months of last year.

Investor demand for so-called auto asset backed securities (ABS) — bonds backed by car loans or lease payments — has been revving up, meaning costs have come down for borrowers. Issuance hit a post-financial crisis high in 2017.

The new Tesla ABS is expected to price early next week with a maturity of February 2020, according to multiple people with knowledge of the sale.

[...]

Investors have raised some concerns with the deal, however. Tesla lacks experience managing auto leases and does not have a track record in the securitisation market, some said. The deal will also rely heavily on leases tied to its Model S, whereas more traditional issuers typically use a more diverse portfolio of vehicles. Should anything go wrong with the Model S requiring Tesla to recall cars, investors would take the hit.

[...]

The auto ABS deal is expected to be rated by Moody’s. Deutsche Bank and Citi have been hired as joint bookrunners, with Bank of America Merrill Lynch added as a co-manager.

Last edited:
It could be that just as many are waiting for 35k model as are waiting for 35k model + interior color options or SR Dual motor or any number of less then $9000 big battery upgrades. Most people do not need 310+ miles of range and currently that is the only option. I am personally waiting for Interior and dual motor but still heavily debating internally the small vs large battery. I love the idea of the large battery and the premium is fair, but its still pretty steep.

On a side note.. I talked to one of the guys at my local Tesla store that said their delivery goal for Feb is 4000 Model 3s. He also said that they deliver them very quickly after they get in and have been delivering a good number, though he would not say how many. I am in Chicago, Highland Park. He also said they where getting solar products soon, which is new for Chicago because solar city was not in this area at all.

When pressed for more numbers he said a bunch of stuff like.. they dont tell us and even if they did, I couldnt tell you.. so I have no idea how accurate it is. He is a very nice guy and I have talked to him a few times before.

Got pictures on the down low.. You guys want be to break in and get vins?

Attachments

• IMG_20180126_184326.jpg
    IMG_20180126_184326.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180126_184323.jpg
    IMG_20180126_184323.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20180126_184329.jpg
    IMG_20180126_184329.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20180126_184331.jpg
    IMG_20180126_184331.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20180126_184319.jpg
    IMG_20180126_184319.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20180126_184316.jpg
    IMG_20180126_184316.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 72
My solution for Tesla (probably already in process) is to sell models (M3s) flying off the assembly line to first come first serve. That way those of you being persnickety about what you want in your M3 build up the reservation numbers and service the desiring public by selling the cars. Tesla looks fantastic all the way around. Money keeps flowing in, instead of bottlenecking. I never tried that, does bottlenecking really work?:)

DaveT saw this coming. Seems odd to price this just prior to release of F'17 annual report. Comments on timing? Is this seen as positive or negative?

Tesla is raising money:

Electric carmaker Tesla is set to tap a new source of financing to fund its multibillion-dollar expansion, with the issue of a $546m bond backed by customers’ lease payments.

[...]

The newest bond issue will be backed specifically by payments on its fleet of leased vehicles. Tesla provides vehicle leases directly through its own finance arm, and around 12 per cent of automotive revenue in its most recent quarter was tied to new leases rather than outright sales.

The leasing programme has left $3.8bn of vehicles on Tesla’s own balance sheet, and the cost of funding new operating leases consumed $1.1bn of cash in the first nine months of last year.

Investor demand for so-called auto asset backed securities (ABS) — bonds backed by car loans or lease payments — has been revving up, meaning costs have come down for borrowers. Issuance hit a post-financial crisis high in 2017.

The new Tesla ABS is expected to price early next week with a maturity of February 2020, according to multiple people with knowledge of the sale.

[...]

Investors have raised some concerns with the deal, however. Tesla lacks experience managing auto leases and does not have a track record in the securitisation market, some said. The deal will also rely heavily on leases tied to its Model S, whereas more traditional issuers typically use a more diverse portfolio of vehicles. Should anything go wrong with the Model S requiring Tesla to recall cars, investors would take the hit.

[...]

The auto ABS deal is expected to be rated by Moody’s. Deutsche Bank and Citi have been hired as joint bookrunners, with Bank of America Merrill Lynch added as a co-manager.

I think they owe a base model car to buyers who heard "It's going to be a great $35,000 car" and put down a one kilobuck deposit based on that.
When they get that base model car is a different question.
Robin

N5329K, I agree. When MS was first released I could have bought a new (40kW) for $52k (CAD) not including $14k (CAD) tax rebate. The 40kW and 60kW have both been cut, only dual motor available and with a now 26% depreciation in CAD vs. USD the new base model S is well North of $100k (CAD). Would people buy a 40kW single motor MS. You bet. However, who can blame Tesla for taking the more profitable route? Also makes sense to distance the price range between MS and M3.

I'm expecting the base $35k USD ($43,750 CAD) M3 to be available to those who have already put their down payment down, however I do not expect that pricing to remain for very long. My personal choice is currently long range, sport rims and colour options, however I do see +-40% opting for the base M3 (+ sport rims and colour option.)

Daniel

From InsideEV M3 review:

"The regenerative braking has two settings: Standard and Low. In Standard Mode the regenerative braking is most aggressive. However, even in Standard Mode, the regenerative braking wasn’t as aggressive as a BMW i3, or a Chevy Bolt.
I like my regen like my coffee – the stronger the better, and in this regard, the Model 3 comes up a little short as compared to some competitors. I’d prefer if they added one more setting that was stronger than Standard Mode, and let the customer decide which they prefer."

I have not yet driven M3 but being used to the Roadster region I expect M3 Standard would be less than I'd want, so a setting a step up from standard would be very welcome. Can we hope/expect that Tesla will one day add this via a software push? Odd they decided to limit region options to only two.

I wrote 50 puts at 337. I'll probably buy them back tomorrow. I had to close an NVDA position to do this, so I sure hope TSLA goes up more than NVDA tomorrow.:)
Well, up nicely but sticking with the NVDA would have done much better for today. As it is I think I'll hold on to the position for a few more days and see what happens. After all, TSLA can't help but go up nicely now. Right?

• Funny
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Tesla is raising money:

[...]

[...]

[...]

I could not find anything about this in the press or social media nor am I able to open the link to FT as a subs is needed.....

Tesla is raising money:

[...]

[...]

[...]

Thanks for posting. I found this part (that you didn´t quote) interesting, too:

“We are in the midst of looking at it and better understanding what it is,” said Gil Libling, portfolio manager at Semper Capital. “It’s interesting.” He added that he expects the deal to have no trouble getting sold given the demand in the market for auto ABS, even though Tesla is a new issuer. “It shows investor comfort for new and different securitisation in the market,” he said.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
DaveT saw this coming. Seems odd to price this just prior to release of F'17 annual report. Comments on timing? Is this seen as positive or negative?

Will likely be spun negatively...

... but if this avoids going to secondary markets for new round of funding, then that should be taken as positive
. Also the amount does not seem to be that large in the big scheme of things
. And it’s ABS ( based on an S) .. highly reliable car, leased most likely by people with great credit ratings ... so lower risk for investors

(IMHO)

Edit.. if it was that bad it should already have been on CNBC;) and SA
Edit 2 *does not

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.